Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

sets with art instead of photos -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwc9p

Aug 25, 2010
Columbia, sC
cmnkb8 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't A&G base cards actually photographs that are digitally altered by Topps to make it look like a painting? To me, that doesn't qualify as an "art card" set, since they're basically photoshopped and not original.

Thought the same thing when I read the first person mention the A&G set. Granted, I still love the set.

porkchops

Dec 27, 2014
Came across this old thread and thought I'd post several images of my favorites .....
001_zpse206f7b3.jpg

002_zpsdac9e55f.jpg

Some sets/cards like these I like and some I don't .... these 3 I like
"Original All - Stars" 1983 Big League Collectibles
"Diamond Classics" 1982 Big League Collectibles
"Stars of the ***** Leagues Trading Cards" 1990 Eclipse Enterprises
New here and enjoying it ,
Ken

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I really enjoyed 2001 Topps Gallery, especially Tano's stuff. As I recall they had 3 different artists do 40 or 50 cards each with distinctive styles, one pretty photorealistic, one a little looser, and one more expressive, but all pretty appealing. And it was a fun set to build.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I still think Masterpieces is the most beautiful set in modern history.

For art cards, I disagree. Thinking of my 2007 UD Masterpieces cards, it seems like UD took a photograph and applied a Photoshop filter to in order to make it look like it was painted.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I missed this thread the first time around so I thought I'd add my 2 cents (Cdn). I like 2003 Playoff Portraits. The set doesn't seem to get much hobby love, probably because of how the autos and relics were only visible on the back and were part of a pull-out piece. Terrible idea IMO.

The fronts have a neat brush-stroke and canvas texture that makes the cards pretty cool in-hand.
2003PlayoffPortraitsMaterialsGoldJ93_zps825ec6a3.jpg

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
All depends on the quality of the artist. Some are spectacular. A&G is nice. National Chicle was terrible. My favorites are some of the lesser known sets.

Ron Lewis ***** League Postcard Sets (Series 1 and 2)
!BrYssOwB2k~$(KGrHqMH-CMEvC3Une4iBLzdsz5zn!~~_3.JPG

Infinite Baseball Set
Dihigo.jpg
walter_johnson_Card.jpg
paige_Dragones.jpg
radbourn-1.jpg

Helmar Brewing
!CBJwbY!!Wk~$(KGrHqN,!l8Ez+3F6)4VBNGgfmEZW!~~_12.JPG
!CBJwGNwBmk~$(KGrHqV,!isE0GgD00+kBNGgeckGEg~~_12.JPG

Ive never seen that Walter Johnson before. Thanks Brad!

Members online