User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dave Winfield Collectors Thread

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave Winfield Collectors Thread

In the spirit of the other player collector threads, I thought I'd go ahead and launch one for my favorite player, Dave Winfield. Hopefully this will coax the other two or three Winfield collectors in the world to come out of hiding. Hopefully, like the other threads, this will be a good place to post overall collection progress and thoughts, as well as obscure pieces and previously undocumented items and whatnot.

To kick it off, I'd like to start by offering a copy of this card to anyone who wants one for the low price of an SASE:

I ended up with a lot of 100 of these 1993 Cartwright cards just to get this card:

In the slowest possible pace, I'm posting about all of my player collections on my blog, http://clydes-stalecards.blogspot.com/.

As far as my Dave Winfield collection goes, I've got about 890 Beckett-recognized cards and have completely lost count of the non-cataloged cards. I usually have a fairly conservative price limit on the cards I'll pick up. I try not to pay more than $5 for any memorabilia cards (let's face it, who really believes any of it is actually "game-used?") and no more than $10 for any autographed cards. I have a lot of trouble deciding on where to draw any lines on what I collect, so I have a few 8x10s, some random magazines and programs, posters, etc., but I don't usually pick up just anything unless it really catches my eye or is too cheap to pass up. I've really enjoyed picking up First Day Covers of Winfield, and have posted about all those I've found on my blog.
    Last edited by DaClyde; 03-24-2015 at 11:25 AM.

annieheartsjohn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Dave Winfield Collectors Thread

I've actually just decided to start collecting Winfield and Molitor together. My mom gave me some boxes I had from high school (almost 15 years ago) and it had Winfield and Molitors 3000 hit inserts from the newspaper in there. Molitor had gotten his 3,000 hit three years to the day that Winfield got his. They were both from MN, both went to U of M, both top 5 picks, both Minnesota Twins and of course both in the Hall.

Thought this would be two good players to collect after racking my brain on who I wanted to start to collect.

Quote Originally Posted by DaClyde
    In the spirit of the other player collector threads, I thought I'd go ahead and launch one for my favorite player, Dave Winfield. Hopefully this will coax the other two or three Winfield collectors in the world to come out of hiding. Hopefully, like the other threads, this will be a good place to post overall collection progress and thoughts, as well as obscure pieces and previously undocumented items and whatnot.

To kick it off, I'd like to start by offering a copy of this card to anyone who wants one for the low price of an SASE:

I ended up with a lot of 100 of these 1993 Cartwright cards just to get this card:

In the slowest possible pace, I'm posting about all of my player collections on my blog, http://clydes-stalecards.blogspot.com/.

Thank you to JBel4331 for the great banner.

check out MY cards: http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Users/twingnats
    Read my articles at:
    http://www.examiner.com/baseball-car.../john-anderson

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

tbtwinsfan
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know of any Winfield cards in a Gopher Uni? I know he had one from Topps a couple years ago, and he has an A&G relic auto "Golden Gopher" (pic'd in a Padres uni) but IDK of any others/

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TBTwinsFan
    Anyone know of any Winfield cards in a Gopher Uni? I know he had one from Topps a couple years ago, and he has an A&G relic auto "Golden Gopher" (pic'd in a Padres uni) but IDK of any others/
    There was the 2005 Topps Pristine Legends, patterned after the 1982 Topps set:

And the 2008 Donruss Threads College Greats:

As with all cards these days, there are probably a dozen variations of each of those. I just noticed, Dave went from being a Gopher to a Padre wearing almost the same ugly yellow.

There were also these three in the 1993 Rainbow Foods Dave Winfield set (there was a base blue border and the insert gold border for each):

Last edited by DaClyde; 03-24-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the winfields that I currently have in my yankee collection. By the way A_Pharis, that Winfield is a SWEET card.

Collecting anything and everything Jorge Posada
    Finders Fees for:
    2004 Topps Originals Bob Watson Auto (yankee uni) & 2004 Absolutely Ink Jorge Posada Patch/Bat/Auto /5

tbtwinsfan
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaClyde
    Quote Originally Posted by TBTwinsFan
    There was the 2005 Topps Pristine Legends, patterned after the 1982 Topps set:

And the 2008 Donruss Threads College Greats:

As with all cards these days, there are probably a dozen variations of each of those. I just noticed, Dave went from being a Gopher to a Padre wearing almost the same ugly yellow.

There were also these three in the 1993 Rainbow Foods Dave Winfield set (there was a base blue border and the insert gold border for each):

TY for the info!

I was hoping he would have a Donruss card, as Molitor does. Same set...

The College Greats are base and autograph. I know the Molitor is rumored print run of 25.

I will have to check on the Pristines and the Rainbow foods.

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always wanted to see a Frank Thomas/Dave Winfield dual autograph, as D.W. was Big Frank's favorite player as a kid.

jagr3boys
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While not a Winfield collector per se, I do have a few goodies amassed over the years. Always fun to share and see other people's stuff. I'll work on a few scans, but until then, I do have this...

Signed in 1994 when the annual Gophers/Alumni game had an autograph session before the game. The specks are not on the card, must have been a really dirty penny sleeve.
    Collecting Gary and Joe Gaetti, Ozzie Smith, Kenny Boyer, Albert Pujols, Kirby Puckett, Joe Mauer,and Brian Dinkleman. PM me if you have something you don't need that I might!

And if you want to friend me on Facebook, please let me know your online handle, since I may not know your real name!

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cleveland
    While not a Winfield collector per se, I do have a few goodies amassed over the years. Always fun to share and see other people's stuff. I'll work on a few scans, but until then, I do have this...

Signed in 1994 when the annual Gophers/Alumni game had an autograph session before the game. The specks are not on the card, must have been a really dirty penny sleeve.

Those cards look great signed.

tbtwinsfan
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greg - That's awesome! I am planning on attending the game this year, regardless of who shows up and if they sign or not.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cleveland

That's a beautiful card. Upper Deck should have made jumbo versions of some of their painted cards like Donruss did with their Super Diamond Kings. That would make a great 5x7.

jagr3boys
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments on the auto. It's a real keeper even if the "W" is missing a little bit. (darn paint markers)

Let's have a little vintage. I don't have a rookie, but I have the checklist with his signature on it! I love the color of the 75. Nobody makes purple and pink go together like 75 Topps! And I can't remember where I got the 77 cloth from, but it's a cool part of the collection.

Collecting Gary and Joe Gaetti, Ozzie Smith, Kenny Boyer, Albert Pujols, Kirby Puckett, Joe Mauer,and Brian Dinkleman. PM me if you have something you don't need that I might!

And if you want to friend me on Facebook, please let me know your online handle, since I may not know your real name!

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winfeld postcards

My Dave Winfield postcard collection, so far. I still need his Hall of Fame plaque postcard.

1979-81 Coral Lee Postcard

1985 TCMA Yankees Postcard

1986 TCMA Yankees Postcard

1990 Jeffrey Rubin postcard of his 41" x 56" oil painting of Winfield from 1988. From what the auction said, this was from a 1990 Ballantine book of postcards. This one was in a lot of three, but the other two were more in the pop-art vein, not featuring any specific players. It's 5.75" x 6.5" instead of standard postcard size.
    Last edited by DaClyde; 03-24-2015 at 11:30 AM.

jagr3boys
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting hungry? How about some Kellogg's 3D goodness?

Bet someone could find the Winfield HOF postcard at Twinsfest. I have one (will scan if you'd like to see) but there's usually lots of those signed and unsigned at the Fest.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast