Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dave Winfield Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
In the spirit of the other player collector threads, I thought I'd go ahead and launch one for my favorite player, Dave Winfield. Hopefully this will coax the other two or three Winfield collectors in the world to come out of hiding. Hopefully, like the other threads, this will be a good place to post overall collection progress and thoughts, as well as obscure pieces and previously undocumented items and whatnot.

To kick it off, I'd like to start by offering a copy of this card to anyone who wants one for the low price of an SASE:

1993Cartwrights1.png1993Cartwrights1b.png

I ended up with a lot of 100 of these 1993 Cartwright cards just to get this card:

1991PocketPages5.png

In the slowest possible pace, I'm posting about all of my player collections on my blog, http://clydes-stalecards.blogspot.com/.

As far as my Dave Winfield collection goes, I've got about 890 Beckett-recognized cards and have completely lost count of the non-cataloged cards. I usually have a fairly conservative price limit on the cards I'll pick up. I try not to pay more than $5 for any memorabilia cards (let's face it, who really believes any of it is actually "game-used?") and no more than $10 for any autographed cards. I have a lot of trouble deciding on where to draw any lines on what I collect, so I have a few 8x10s, some random magazines and programs, posters, etc., but I don't usually pick up just anything unless it really catches my eye or is too cheap to pass up. I've really enjoyed picking up First Day Covers of Winfield, and have posted about all those I've found on my blog.

Last edited:

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
I've actually just decided to start collecting Winfield and Molitor together. My mom gave me some boxes I had from high school (almost 15 years ago) and it had Winfield and Molitors 3000 hit inserts from the newspaper in there. Molitor had gotten his 3,000 hit three years to the day that Winfield got his. They were both from MN, both went to U of M, both top 5 picks, both Minnesota Twins and of course both in the Hall.

Thought this would be two good players to collect after racking my brain on who I wanted to start to collect.

DaClyde said:
In the spirit of the other player collector threads, I thought I'd go ahead and launch one for my favorite player, Dave Winfield. Hopefully this will coax the other two or three Winfield collectors in the world to come out of hiding. Hopefully, like the other threads, this will be a good place to post overall collection progress and thoughts, as well as obscure pieces and previously undocumented items and whatnot.

To kick it off, I'd like to start by offering a copy of this card to anyone who wants one for the low price of an SASE:

1993Cartwrights1.png1993Cartwrights1b.png

I ended up with a lot of 100 of these 1993 Cartwright cards just to get this card:

1991PocketPages5.png

In the slowest possible pace, I'm posting about all of my player collections on my blog, http://clydes-stalecards.blogspot.com/.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Anyone know of any Winfield cards in a Gopher Uni? I know he had one from Topps a couple years ago, and he has an A&G relic auto "Golden Gopher" (pic'd in a Padres uni) but IDK of any others/

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
TBTwinsFan said:
Anyone know of any Winfield cards in a Gopher Uni? I know he had one from Topps a couple years ago, and he has an A&G relic auto "Golden Gopher" (pic'd in a Padres uni) but IDK of any others/

There was the 2005 Topps Pristine Legends, patterned after the 1982 Topps set:
2005ToppsPristineLegends119.png

And the 2008 Donruss Threads College Greats:
2008DonrussThreadsCollegeGreatsCG4.png

As with all cards these days, there are probably a dozen variations of each of those. I just noticed, Dave went from being a Gopher to a Padre wearing almost the same ugly yellow.

There were also these three in the 1993 Rainbow Foods Dave Winfield set (there was a base blue border and the insert gold border for each):

1993RainbowFoods1.png 1993RainbowFoods2.png 1993RainbowFoods3.png

Last edited:

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
Here are the winfields that I currently have in my yankee collection. By the way A_Pharis, that Winfield is a SWEET card.

premierjackson-winfielddualauto25.jpg

co-signersdamon-winfielddualautosp2.jpg

yankeessignaturewinfieldauto.jpg

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
DaClyde said:
TBTwinsFan said:

There was the 2005 Topps Pristine Legends, patterned after the 1982 Topps set:
2005ToppsPristineLegends119.png

And the 2008 Donruss Threads College Greats:
2008DonrussThreadsCollegeGreatsCG4.png

As with all cards these days, there are probably a dozen variations of each of those. I just noticed, Dave went from being a Gopher to a Padre wearing almost the same ugly yellow.

There were also these three in the 1993 Rainbow Foods Dave Winfield set (there was a base blue border and the insert gold border for each):

1.png 2.png 3.png

TY for the info!

I was hoping he would have a Donruss card, as Molitor does. Same set...

The College Greats are base and autograph. I know the Molitor is rumored print run of 25.

I will have to check on the Pristines and the Rainbow foods.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
While not a Winfield collector per se, I do have a few goodies amassed over the years. Always fun to share and see other people's stuff. I'll work on a few scans, but until then, I do have this...

winfield.jpg

Signed in 1994 when the annual Gophers/Alumni game had an autograph session before the game. The specks are not on the card, must have been a really dirty penny sleeve.

A_Pharis

Greg Cleveland said:
While not a Winfield collector per se, I do have a few goodies amassed over the years. Always fun to share and see other people's stuff. I'll work on a few scans, but until then, I do have this...

winfield.jpg

Signed in 1994 when the annual Gophers/Alumni game had an autograph session before the game. The specks are not on the card, must have been a really dirty penny sleeve.

Those cards look great signed.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Greg Cleveland said:

That's a beautiful card. Upper Deck should have made jumbo versions of some of their painted cards like Donruss did with their Super Diamond Kings. That would make a great 5x7.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Thanks for the comments on the auto. It's a real keeper even if the "W" is missing a little bit. (darn paint markers)

Let's have a little vintage. I don't have a rookie, but I have the checklist with his signature on it! I love the color of the 75. Nobody makes purple and pink go together like 75 Topps! And I can't remember where I got the 77 cloth from, but it's a cool part of the collection.

winvin.jpg

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Winfeld postcards

My Dave Winfield postcard collection, so far. I still need his Hall of Fame plaque postcard.

1979-81 Coral Lee Postcard
1979-80CoralLeePostcard.png1979-80CoralLeePostcardb.png

1985 TCMA Yankees Postcard
1985TCMAPostcard.png1985TCMAPostcardb.png

1986 TCMA Yankees Postcard
1986TCMA.png1986TCMAb.png

1990 Jeffrey Rubin postcard of his 41" x 56" oil painting of Winfield from 1988. From what the auction said, this was from a 1990 Ballantine book of postcards. This one was in a lot of three, but the other two were more in the pop-art vein, not featuring any specific players. It's 5.75" x 6.5" instead of standard postcard size.
1990JeffreyRubinpostcard.png1990JeffreyRubinpostcardb.png

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Kellogg's always used really good photos. Interesting how those photos Kellogg's used have not turned up on any products since. I really miss baseball cards in boxes of cereal or other snacks. I don't under stand why MLB seems to have almost completely abandoned the oddball/premium arena.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
DaClyde said:
Kellogg's always used really good photos. Interesting how those photos Kellogg's used have not turned up on any products since. I really miss baseball cards in boxes of cereal or other snacks. I don't under stand why MLB seems to have almost completely abandoned the oddball/premium arena.

Completely agree... I remember getting a Gary Sheffield card in a bag of Twizzlers. That was the last I ever saw of those...

It's because baseball cards is a straight up business... Very few people now-a-days collect for collecting's sake. I try too, but recently I am being forced to move 90% of the collection. Other than that, I have never sold for profit. Only to get the crap out...

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
This week I finally pushed over 900 Beckett-recognized cards of Big Dave, with a mailday of 6 more YSL cards, a Goudey Mini #/8 and a Dueling Duos card (Molitor Bat/Winfield). Those 6 YSL put me at 56 of his 100 YSL cards. Is anyone else still fighting the never-ending journey that is the Yankee Stadium Legacy set? And are some YSL cards in the, main set, more rare than others? It seems when I check eBay or COMC, I just see cards I already have.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Anyone need this sleeve of golf balls with the 2001 HOF induction logo? Pay for shipping, and they're yours.

88b8b7f5.jpg

54ad8884.jpg

Members online