Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ozzie Smith collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Finally landed the last Pinnacle Artist's Proof I needed:

swingmen.jpg

Happy to be done with the Artist's Proofs!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Mozzie22 said:
Finally landed the last Pinnacle Artist's Proof I needed:

swingmen.jpg

Happy to be done with the Artist's Proofs!

That's funny! That Swing Man version was the last one I needed for Gwynn, too...Just got it early this year, I think!

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
dadofandrew said:
Got this one in today
1996 Cardinal team issue
1996CardinalsTeamIssue.jpg

You got me on that one, Kevin. Very nice card. Are all of the 1996 cards autographed? It doesn't say that they are on the postcard site and I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't. Good pickup.

dadofandrew

Aug 7, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
dadofandrew said:
Got this one in today
1996 Cardinal team issue

You got me on that one, Kevin. Very nice card. Are all of the 1996 cards autographed? It doesn't say that they are on the postcard site and I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't. Good pickup.
Not sure, its the first one I have seen listed.
Did you pick up the schnucks lot? I was watching it to see what it ended at.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
dadofandrew said:
Mozzie22 said:
dadofandrew said:
Got this one in today
1996 Cardinal team issue

I did. It went for more than I thought but I haven't seen one of those in a very long time. Super jealous of that 1996! I'm inclined to believe that all 96 cards were autographed.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
dadofandrew said:
Mozzie22 said:
dadofandrew said:
Got this one in today
1996 Cardinal team issue

I can't speak directly to this card, but I think that team cards are often given out at events where an athlete is signing. Handing them out is cheaper than giving out photographs, as they're just on thin cardboard. Thus while the cards may not be distributed signed, they are nevertheless often distributed in settings where the intent is for them to be signed.

For instance, Jonny Gomes has three team cards that I'm aware of, and I've never seen an unsigned copy of any of them. One seller had a lot of six or so 2006 team cards, all signed, and said he'd received them when Gomes came to his restaurant to do a signing. I assume that Gomes brought the (unsigned) cards with him for those that wouldn't have anything specific with them to be signed, and then autographed those left over for the restaurant owner before leaving. I'm sure that someone could go up to the table where Gomes was signing, ask for an unsigned card and be given it without complaint; yet who would do so?

dadofandrew

Aug 7, 2008
LWMM said:
dadofandrew said:
Mozzie22 said:
dadofandrew said:
Got this one in today
1996 Cardinal team issue

I can't speak directly to this card, but I think that team cards are often given out at events where an athlete is signing. Handing them out is cheaper than giving out photographs, as they're just on thin cardboard. Thus while the cards may not be distributed signed, they are nevertheless often distributed in settings where the intent is for them to be signed.

For instance, Jonny Gomes has three team cards that I'm aware of, and I've never seen an unsigned copy of any of them. One seller had a lot of six or so 2006 team cards, all signed, and said he'd received them when Gomes came to his restaurant to do a signing. I assume that Gomes brought the (unsigned) cards with him for those that wouldn't have anything specific with them to be signed, and then autographed those left over for the restaurant owner before leaving. I'm sure that someone could go up to the table where Gomes was signing, ask for an unsigned card and be given it without complaint; yet who would do so?

That makes sense, Probably the case as I have seen quiet a few other Team issued post cards signed.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I was rearranging some stuff earlier and came across a few things I hadn't seen in a while. Not much action in here lately so I thought you guys might appreciate a few of these.

These cachets and plaque card were purchased in Cooperstown on Ozzie's HOF weekend and then canceled at the P.O. I thought they were cool, may have one or more signed someday. Hope you like them.

ozcachetf.jpg
ozcach2.jpg
ozcasm.jpg
ozplaq.jpgozplb.jpg

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
Those cachets are really cool. I was rearranging some stuff myself in the basement and came across a box with a bunch of old newspapers. Looked through them and came across these
016.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Hullfan said:
Those cachets are really cool. I was rearranging some stuff myself in the basement and came across a box with a bunch of old newspapers. Looked through them and came across these
016.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

That is a sweet find, John :shock: . Are you going to keep it whole are sacrifice it? If you do keep me in mind. If you come across any from 1985 let me know as I've had some of those (both b/w and color) on the hit list for a long time.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Although I forgo cards from after 1996 (for the most part), I just couldn't pass this one up because I don't remember seeing it before.

1997 Pacific Silver #416 (#'d to 67)

1997pacificp.jpg

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
Mozzie22 said:
That is a sweet find, John :shock: . Are you going to keep it whole are sacrifice it? If you do keep me in mind. If you come across any from 1985 let me know as I've had some of those (both b/w and color) on the hit list for a long time.

For now I'm going to keep them whole. I've been watching craigslist and looking around antique malls lately for any reasonably priced papers we need. If I decide to do anything with these, you're top on the list. I am going through some more boxes too so if I come across anything I'll let you know.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I was at the Cardinals statue rededication whatever year they did it at the new stadium and Ozzie was there, he signed 4 autographs for kids and when i went to ask him he said he would have to wait becuase he had to talk and that if I yelled to him after he was done he would come over and sign just for me. Well he got done talking and went the opposite direction of where I was standing well i went his way and he was surrounded by autograph hounds he had his hands at his side and refused to sign for everyone of them. I yelled Mr.Smith you said you would sign for me he smiled and said i sure did as he made eye contact with all of the autograph people. He grabbed my pen then the ball looks at a few more autograph hounds smiled and took about a minute to sign my ball just to make the autograph seekers mad it was hilarious. Here is the result
IMAG0298.jpg

Latest posts