Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

80s Cards with the same artwork but different brands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Hey guys, forgive my ignorance, but I have a question about the 80s cards with the same artwork but different brands.

I've seen examples where the card looks exactly identical, such as an OPC / Topps version, or Donruss / Leaf version, but why are there identical cards in different brands? I grew up collecting 80s / 90s cards and don't seem to remember this.

I'm guessing Topps owned OPC and Donruss owned Leaf? But why would they release the same cards in those years and simply change the brand name on them? It doesn't make sense to me...

And I'm also guessing that OPC and Leaf versions are "rarer" and thus worth more than their Topps / Donruss counterparts?

Thanks in advance guys.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
O-Pee-Chee was Topps' Canadian brand, Leaf was Donruss' Canadian brand.

The name O-Pee-Chee is an Aboriginal word meaning "the Robin" as is found in The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It also happened to be the name of the summer cottage of the two brothers that founded the company.

Leaf name was for the Canadian maple leaf.

For modern issues, Leaf and O-Pee-Chee may carry a small premium. For vintage Topps cards, the O-Pee-Chee brand will usually carry a significant premium.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts