Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ewess77

Jul 23, 2010
Fellas...This is the site I have been wanting to see for years! Thank You!!! I grew up watching Mark McGwire and collecting his cards. He is my all time favorite player, no matter what anyone says! I have just re-caught the collecting bug and wish I could have found this forum a long time ago. I have been collecting McGwire's 1980'c cards for over 15 years, again off and on. I thought I just about had them all until I saw onionring9's collection. WOW, you are my collecting hero!!! Thank you for taking the time to scan all of these! I now have a reference for my collection! I have all but about 30 of what I see on onionring9's page. Mostly missing those stat sheet cards. Collecting his 1980's cards is very enjoyable/rewarding to me and is my primary collecting focus. One day I might begin collecting his 1990 cards, I already have several of them anyway. I hope to make friends here and find some of those "impossible to find" 1980's odd ball cards. I would just love to talk to someone who shares the same passion as I. I will soon scan some of the cards I own that are missing from onionring9's collection page. So... I will just throw it out there... where can I find a 1989 Donruss/Leaf Blue Chip McGwire? This is the primary "gaping hole" in my collection! I would one day own love to all the color variations, but one would be great. Any ideas? Thank you again for this thread and hope to make friends here!!!!

ewess77 said:
Fellas...This is the site I have been wanting to see for years! Thank You!!! I grew up watching Mark McGwire and collecting his cards. He is my all time favorite player, no matter what anyone says! I have just re-caught the collecting bug and wish I could have found this forum a long time ago. I have been collecting McGwire's 1980'c cards for over 15 years, again off and on. I thought I just about had them all until I saw onionring9's collection. WOW, you are my collecting hero!!! Thank you for taking the time to scan all of these! I now have a reference for my collection! I have all but about 30 of what I see on onionring9's page. Mostly missing those stat sheet cards. Collecting his 1980's cards is very enjoyable/rewarding to me and is my primary collecting focus. One day I might begin collecting his 1990 cards, I already have several of them anyway. I hope to make friends here and find some of those "impossible to find" 1980's odd ball cards. I would just love to talk to someone who shares the same passion as I. I will soon scan some of the cards I own that are missing from onionring9's collection page. So... I will just throw it out there... where can I find a 1989 Donruss/Leaf Blue Chip McGwire? This is the primary "gaping hole" in my collection! I would one day own love to all the color variations, but one would be great. Any ideas? Thank you again for this thread and hope to make friends here!!!!

WELCOME TO OUR BOARD AND OUR THREAD!!

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
ewess77 said:

Welcome to the McGwire thread. Always nice to have another McGwire fan. There are some amazing McGwire collectors on here. Check out Big Mac McGwire's auto collection. Very impressive. I would love to see the cards you have that aren't on Joe's website as well.

ewess77

Jul 23, 2010
I have scanned a few cards from my collection to the computer, but I can not figure out how to post them to this thread. Probably something I am over looking!

Well i been pretty low key on my pickups for the last 2 months. I have had to sit here and watch the awsome pickups our fellow mcgwire collectors here have posted. I will lay dormant no more....we at least for a lil bit....But i will quote the late great Notorious B.I.G and say " I lay my game flat, i want my spot back".....

First , here are some mcgwire IP auto's that i picked up from a seller that got them all done at spring training, notice the full signature, alot of the cards i got were shortended sig's because i got them inside before games, these auto's were done at the Practices in Early February, McGwire was not rushed when he signed, Fans lined up against a fence after BP. Notice the full sig and quality. Some were shortened but most are nicely done.

I got these about 1.5 months ago, just havnt gotten around to scan them

(I finally have a signed card from 1994- I now have a signed card from every year from 85-02
Picture014-1-1.jpg

Picture014-1-1.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

here are some of the nicer full signature IP auto's from early spring training
Picture013-1.jpg

Picture013-3.jpg

Picture013-2.jpg

I had to split my post up into 2 parts. Because the beauty of this next post needs it's own focus. I just received 5 of the 7 items i submitted to Mac's first signing since 2003. I picked the cards carefully. I think they came out just flat out amazing.

And here we go.....Freshly inked last week at his first private signing in over 7 years.....

1998 Black Diamond POH - i got this card a few weeks after i graduated higschool in 01'. Took me 3 years after it came out to finally get it, but at the time it was his only gu card.
longo019.jpg

Picture011.jpg

1985 Chong Modesto - Correct Spelling - i know i know, your sayin, why didn't you get the error done, well i dont have the error yet, i know i should but i needed a modesto for the rookie auto set. and you NEVER see signed modestos.

Picture012-1.jpg

1985 Topps & 1985 Topps Tiffany - I needed a nicely centered 85 topps for the OCD in me and i finally got my Tiffany rookie signed.
longo017.jpg

longo018.jpg

Picture012-1-1.jpg

and finally, this card is part of 40 Man Buyback auto set, Since i still cant find a buy back version, i decided to get one signed at the signing, this i think is hands down one of the nicest looking cards, and one of the few cards made that has a great shot from after he hit 62, i always imagined the eye appeal of one signed. And it turned out AWSOME...1999 Century Legends

longo009.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Big Mac McGwire

Awesome cards. I really like all of them but the Black Diamond Bat card looks great. Do you remember how much you paid for your copy? I can remember looking at one on ebay and trying to decide if I wanted to spend the money to buy it. At the time it listed at $1000. One of my favorite GU cards.

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
ewess77 said:
I have scanned a few cards from my collection to the computer, but I can not figure out how to post them to this thread. Probably something I am over looking!

Easiest way is to create a photobucket account and upload your pictures there. Then you can link the photos and post them here.

docdw25 said:
Big Mac McGwire

Awesome cards. I really like all of them but the Black Diamond Bat card looks great. Do you remember how much you paid for your copy? I can remember looking at one on ebay and trying to decide if I wanted to spend the money to buy it. At the time it listed at $1000. One of my favorite GU cards.

Doc at the time i got it in July 2001, i paid 420$ for it. Which at the time was insanely high. But i remember when it first came out it was 800-1000$ card.

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Big Mac McGwire said:
docdw25 said:
Big Mac McGwire

Doc at the time i got it in July 2001, i paid 420$ for it. Which at the time was insanely high. But i remember when it first came out it was 800-1000$ card.

I waited and got mine when the price dropped. Eventually I got another one in a lot I bought one Ebay.

jbs189

Mar 30, 2010

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Mark McGwire Museum said:
docdw25 said:
jbs189 said:
Any of you guys win this one? 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AA:US:1123

Onionring9 got it

I was the underbidder and thought I had it in the bag...pretty pissed at myself for not bidding $210 like I was originally going to do. It was only at $60 when I set my snipe so thought $150 would be plenty.

It would have been yours for $210. I think Joe set his snipe at $200

Members online

Latest posts