Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dec 10, 2008
onionring9 said:
Yeah I saw that, I'm surprised the shape it's in.

I know, right? Crazy to thing it got that banged up in a pack. Crazier to think it wasn't like that, and it just wasn't taken care of once pulled!

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
Mark McGwire Museum said:
jam, heres my BGS collection. I just purged my PSA and started BGS quite recently. Jerry has more than me, and he has some tough ones to find in respectable condition. I hope to be sending in a batch of 50-100 every couple of months. If you start, it would be nice if we all sent in doubles to get graded if they are in good condition, so we can trade.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/TheMcGwireMuseum/McGwire BGS/?albumview=grid

Very nice great 80's and early 90's cards the best ones in my opinion I have a few I need to get graded.Maybe we could try a group grade as McGwire collector's one day.

Dec 10, 2008
7guns said:
Very nice great 80's and early 90's cards the best ones in my opinion I have a few I need to get graded.Maybe we could try a group grade as McGwire collector's one day.

Thanks Jerry. I always have about 400-500 ready that I think are Gem quality, but always get too scared to send them all at once. Don't want to catch a grader on a bad day. Also, it seems like I always have something incoming that I'd like to get graded, so i wait, and then have another, etc. and never end up sending them in. I'm thinking about 200/year probably. Trying to bang out the rare/tough ones to get gem from the Oakland years. Also I am kinda fond of Mac subsets, so I'll probably try to finish the 1999 Topps in gem (sent in 2 test to see how they'd grade and both gemmed), the 2002 flashbacks, and any refractors I have that are gem.

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
I have the one 99 Topps in Gem and like you would love to get the whole set that way. I have one Auto I want to get graded just money is tight right now so I have not done it yet.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Man, best of luck to both of you in your grading ventures. That was one piece of the hobby I never had any interest in. I can however, appreciate what both of you have done. Keep it up guys!

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
jam, heres my BGS collection. I just purged my PSA and started BGS quite recently. Jerry has more than me, and he has some tough ones to find in respectable condition. I hope to be sending in a batch of 50-100 every couple of months. If you start, it would be nice if we all sent in doubles to get graded if they are in good condition, so we can trade.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/TheMcGwireMuseum/McGwire BGS/?albumview=grid

:eek: :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!! That is an awesome collection. Really is a "Mcgwire Museum"!! I'm getting mine graded just so they'll be protected forever. Don't care too much about what they grade. I can't imagine getting them graded and trying to get Gem on them!!! Truly amazing collection!

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
It is very hard to consistently get them to grade at 9.5 let alone get a 10 out of all the ones I have gotten graded I have only managed to get the one 10 as much as I have checked and double checked each card they always seem to find something .

For anyone at home that has the MLB network, The A's vs The Mariners From June 24, 1997 is on right now, for those who dont remember, this was the Game Mac hit the Mammouth Moon Shot off Randy Johnson at the King Dome.

In honor here are some 97' autographed cards.

i62.jpg

i63.jpg

mc1.jpg

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
Big Mac McGwire: Very nice I want to send Mac a card to try to get signed,but I can not find an address so the search continues. I am not even sure he is signing just hoping he is.

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
For anyone at home that has the MLB network, The A's vs The Mariners From June 24, 1997 is on right now, for those who dont remember, this was the Game Mac hit the Mammouth Moon Shot off Randy Johnson at the King Dome.

I turned it on after I saw this but unfortuneatly(sp?) I missed the moonshot. It was cool to see Canseco and Mcgwire playing in A's uniforms again! I'd like to find some more a's games to watch.

7guns said:
Big Mac McGwire: Very nice I want to send Mac a card to try to get signed,but I can not find an address so the search continues. I am not even sure he is signing just hoping he is.

you have a better chance of meeting god then getting something autographed by mcgwire through the mail. I highly doubt he would accept mail from unknown senders at his home address.

Dec 10, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
you have a better chance of meeting god then getting something autographed by mcgwire through the mail. I highly doubt he would accept mail from unknown senders at his home address.

Aren't they one and the same?*

*corny McGwire collector joke. not to be taken seriously. saw the opportunity and took it

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
[quote="Big Mac McGwire":v43lypoe]you have a better chance of meeting god then getting something autographed by mcgwire through the mail. I highly doubt he would accept mail from unknown senders at his home address.

Aren't they one and the same?*

*corny McGwire collector joke. not to be taken seriously. saw the opportunity and took it
[/quote:v43lypoe]

smileyWall.gif

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
That's one thing that I don't like about Mcgwire. His fan's adore, support, and defend him but yet he can't take the time to sign autographs for them? I understand that he doesn't want people selling them but if you saturate the market enough with your autographs, only your fans true fans will keep buying anyway. It kills me that I can buy a certified auto of other great's for under $50 to $60 but have to remorgage my house to get a certified Mcgwire.

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
jam92102 said:
That's one thing that I don't like about Mcgwire. His fan's adore, support, and defend him but yet he can't take the time to sign autographs for them? I understand that he doesn't want people selling them but if you saturate the market enough with your autographs, only your fans true fans will keep buying anyway. It kills me that I can buy a certified auto of other great's for under $50 to $60 but have to remorgage my house to get a certified Mcgwire.

I feel you for sure.

McGwire said his deal with Upper Deck to produce his first mainstream autographed cards for the years 02 and 03 was "A 1 time Deal". He knew the hobby wanted certified auto's of his. The auto's are now 7 and 6 years years old. The supply for the rare ones are all dried up. The ones with print runs of 350 and less are more abundant. Out of all the stars that are alive, not counting the deceased players mcgwires auto along with Koufax and Ichiro go for the most. A regular mac auto goes for 150 and up. Thats pretty high for the oversaturated autograph card market. If you think 150 is high, join me when the high end auto's surface and your forking out 4 to 5 and up. It gets ruff.

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
Big Mac McGwire: One day I hope to joining you there with the Auto collecting. The Navy just has to start paying better so I can.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts