Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Super Sweet Early 00's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
I think they made the entire set of the 2004 Donruss Elite. If you're looking for your player and you can't find one under "his" name, try looking for 2004 Donruss Elite World Series or just Cal Ripken and hundreds of these cards will pop up every now and then. I forgot the sellers name but he'll list a couple hundred cards at one time with different players for about $3 - $4 each plus postage (depending on the player)...

*Check this guys items...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cardinals-Elite-Team-card-Cal-Ripken-World-Series-/390132054070?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5ad5aeb836

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A surprisingly difficult set to find.

i-sRX4fnb-M.jpg

If I recall correctly those were only available as redemptions, and the redemption cards weren't especially easy to pull. According to Beckett they were only in retail packs, as well.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
^what set is that from? I'm not familiar with the card / redemption but love the look!

Looks like a 2003 Topps Chrome refractor to me - I could be wrong though. The X-Fractors were serial #ed /57 that year I believe and uncirculated (the rare parallel from that set).

EDIT can't be what I said it was - the refractors have a blue border. Maybe its the series 2 silver refractor? Never seen one tbh (didnt even know they existed till I did a Beckett checklist search). Here's a 2003 reg. refractor:

VrI6pBx.jpg
pdot7QW.jpg

Last edited:

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Looks like a 2003 Topps Chrome refractor to me - I could be wrong though. The X-Fractors were serial #ed /57 that year I believe and uncirculated (the rare parallel from that set).

EDIT can't be what I said it was - the refractors have a blue border. Maybe its the series 2 silver refractor? Never seen one tbh (didnt even know they existed till I did a Beckett checklist search). Here's a 2003 reg. refractor:

VrI6pBx.jpg
pdot7QW.jpg

Series 2 Silver Refractor. Like posted above, retail-only redemptions. No idea how many are in circulation, but it's not a whole bunch.

I found some old estimate that I had done on print run for these things. Not sure where my numbers came from, but I have the redemptions estimated at 1:20 packs. Black refractors /199, which came in hobby and retail, were 1:17 in Series 2 packs. Assuming 50% or less of these cards were actually redeemed, I wouldn't be shocked if there weren't but maybe 75-100 of each in circulation (and probably less for the commons).

Last edited:

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I have a note to self in my spreadsheet for the 2003 silver refractors: " 160 made, redemption, non serial #d " I don't have a source for that info though which I usually do...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
2003 Topps Chrome Silver Refractors ARE tough. Even tougher to find an unredeemed redemption card to go with a redeemed card. You had to mail the redemption in with your name and address on back, so not many unredeemed cards around. The redemption had the card number from the set that you would receive (i.e. Grace is card number 390). Since the player's name is not on the redemption card, really hard to track down one for your player.

03TOPPSCHROMESILVER.jpg
03TOPPSCHROMEREDEMPTION.jpg

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
$(KGrHqN,!q8FHnLMpzdsBR87SSEbC!~~60_3.JPG

Ebay seller leximo is back with some interesting "proof" cards. I found this card listed as a "2004 Fleer GOTG" proof, but really it is a 2005 Fleer Flair "Dynasty Foundations" insert proof. What's really interesting is that this card was never made. The final insert set had 20 cards in it. But leximo is selling a few proof cards for some teams that never got made in the final checklist. These proofs have complete backs too, and are printed on card stock, not paper like other Fleer proofs. I'm surprised player collectors haven't jumped on more of them. Here's the final produced card checklist:

2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 Guer/And/Erst/Carew/Ryan
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #2 Rip/Teja/Javy/Palm/Brooks
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #3 Manny/Ted/Ortiz/Dam/Yaz
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #4 Sos/Bank/Ryno/Mad/Prior
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #5 Dunn/Kea/Mor/Ben/Perez
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #6 Mart/Haf/Saba/Doby/Feller
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #7 Helton/Atk/Wils/Miles/Holl
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #8 Cab/Beck/Willis/Pier/Leit
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #9 Bag/Berk/Bigg/Clem/Osw
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 0 Jenk/Moli/Shee/Over/Yount
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 1 Johan/Kill/Torii/Stew/Ford
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 2 Piaz/Seav/Ryan/Mart/Glav
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 3 Zito/Chav/Regg/Crosb/Eck
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 4 Thom/Abr/Floyd/Rob/Schm
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 5 C.Wil/J.Wil/Bay/Starg/Maz
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 6 J.Sch/Mari/McCov/Cep/Dur
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 7 Rol/Pujols/Edm/Muld/Musial
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 8 Upt/Craw/Kaz/Huff/Rocco
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 9 Sor/Teix/Blal/Ryan/Young
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #2 0 Hud/Wells/Rios/Moli/Halla

Here are some proof cards for cards that weren't included in the final checklist:

mAQKyW6Skk5Vn9GsS4ljDMQ.jpg
mSGCxzpkS1cjdi0_TbgzvTg.jpg
m-1se1dwBjUs7E9RA3BXV9A.jpg

mQRnkRpu8wjT2dXhnBt7W0g.jpg
m36eR5FYdWbKyNPxRcI3Uhw.jpg
mu3MBHxViGAdAURXcnIo9GQ.jpg

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
$(KGrHqN,!q8FHnLMpzdsBR87SSEbC!~~60_3.JPG

Ebay seller leximo is back with some interesting "proof" cards. I found this card listed as a "2004 Fleer GOTG" proof, but really it is a 2005 Fleer Flair "Dynasty Foundations" insert proof. What's really interesting is that this card was never made. The final insert set had 20 cards in it. But leximo is selling a few proof cards for some teams that never got made in the final checklist. These proofs have complete backs too, and are printed on card stock, not paper like other Fleer proofs. I'm surprised player collectors haven't jumped on more of them. Here's the final produced card checklist:

2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 Guer/And/Erst/Carew/Ryan
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #2 Rip/Teja/Javy/Palm/Brooks
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #3 Manny/Ted/Ortiz/Dam/Yaz
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #4 Sos/Bank/Ryno/Mad/Prior
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #5 Dunn/Kea/Mor/Ben/Perez
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #6 Mart/Haf/Saba/Doby/Feller
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #7 Helton/Atk/Wils/Miles/Holl
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #8 Cab/Beck/Willis/Pier/Leit
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #9 Bag/Berk/Bigg/Clem/Osw
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 0 Jenk/Moli/Shee/Over/Yount
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 1 Johan/Kill/Torii/Stew/Ford
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 2 Piaz/Seav/Ryan/Mart/Glav
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 3 Zito/Chav/Regg/Crosb/Eck
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 4 Thom/Abr/Floyd/Rob/Schm
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 5 C.Wil/J.Wil/Bay/Starg/Maz
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 6 J.Sch/Mari/McCov/Cep/Dur
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 7 Rol/Pujols/Edm/Muld/Musial
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 8 Upt/Craw/Kaz/Huff/Rocco
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #1 9 Sor/Teix/Blal/Ryan/Young
2005 Flair Dynasty Foundations #2 0 Hud/Wells/Rios/Moli/Halla

Here are some proof cards for cards that weren't included in the final checklist:

mAQKyW6Skk5Vn9GsS4ljDMQ.jpg
mSGCxzpkS1cjdi0_TbgzvTg.jpg
m-1se1dwBjUs7E9RA3BXV9A.jpg

mQRnkRpu8wjT2dXhnBt7W0g.jpg
m36eR5FYdWbKyNPxRcI3Uhw.jpg
mu3MBHxViGAdAURXcnIo9GQ.jpg

Leximo is always selling massive "uncirculated / back door proofs"
Is He manufacturing and cutting sheets?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not thinking he is manufacturing them. I'd like to know where all this stuff comes from. But I do think it's pretty easy to manufacture cards if you have the card and access to a print shop. Make negatives, burn the plates, match the ink and paper stock. Then one night run some off and cut them on the cutter and your done. It takes a little bit of time of course. What leximo has doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that anyone with this kind of access could do it and who would know right away? It would be profitable to say the least. About the only good thing I can say is that with all the technology that goes into making cards today, it would be a major pain to do. But if there are people out there doing it with money, you can bet someone would do it with cards. Money is heavily scrutinized. Cards aren't. If graded then yes but even then, if the guy making the stuff can get them by grading, or sells them raw, he's made his money long before people take note.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Leximo is always selling massive "uncirculated / back door proofs"
Is He manufacturing and cutting sheets?

I believe they are just file copies from Fleer, sold during the Fleer bankruptcy auction. A ton of material came out of that auction.

At the national yesterday, I found the dealer with the paper copy Fleer proofs. They were interesting to look through, but are just laser prints that could be easily copied. Neat to see some cards that never got produced though.

I've bought several Topps, Fleer and Pacific proofs from Leximo, and have no doubts they are from the original manufacturers. They're all "scraps" - leftovers from uncut sheets or printer test runs.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm kicking myself for not picking up the White Sox/Thomas Dynasty Foundations. I sat there with the listing open for 15 minutes trying to figure out why I had never seen the card before. I searched for the set on eBay and found tons of pack issued cards, but no White Sox. Finally, I just reasoned to myself that I hadn't been paying attention and that's why I had never seen the card before...so I closed it and walked away for $25. I don't want file copies of pack inserted cards, but I definitely want file copies of unreleased stuff...should have gone with my gut.

Members online

Latest posts