Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Super Sweet Early 00's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
i-kMmS2HL-M.jpg

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
^^ Awesome stuff! Nice Juans, Bernies, Clemens and RJs.

The 2000 GOTG set served as the catalyst that got me collecting again. I was at the local mall back in 2001 and came across a card table selling the 2000 Greats of the Game base cards. I paid $5 for the Mattingly base, wishing I could land the autographed version some day. That was the only card I would buy for a long time until I started collecting seriously in 2003. One of the first things I did when I caught the collecting bug was buy the 2000 GOTG complete set.

All these years later, I finally bit the bullet. Yes, it's expensive for a Mattingly auto, but it's a short-print of a now classic set.

View attachment 76623

Nice pickup Ravi.

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
Picked up all of these
Ken Griffey Jr 2001 Upper Deck Gold Glove Leather Bound.jpg
Ken Griffey Jr 2001 Upper Deck Gold Glove Leather Bound Gold.jpg
Ken Griffey Jr 2001 Upper Deck Gold Glove Leather Bound Autograph.jpg

The gold is awesome with the printing on the glove swatch. May have overpaid for that one a bit, but figured I may never see another
The autograph if my memory serves me correctly is an SP

Dan

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
More Burbank fun for me today. Found a few Helton's that fit my collection nicely:

$6, serial #001/250:
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

$5, serial #250/250:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

$12:
s-l500.jpg

$15:
s-l500.jpg

The 001/250 and 250/250 weren't listed in the titles, was only able to find them by clicking on the actual auctions and looking @ pictures. I like finding little gems like this.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
2001 Leaf Certified Mirror Gold #/25. Not a huge card, but finding any card #/25 from 17 years ago is just plain tough. And the only nice 90s/00s insert I've added in ages.

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
A little heads up on 2000 Stadium Club Diamond Pearls. The ink? on the top layer will stick to the inside of penny sleeves. ALSO, the entire top layer easily delaminates from the pearly stock.

So, be careful how you store them, and don’t pay extra for a blank front proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
A little heads up on 2000 Stadium Club Diamond Pearls. The ink? on the top layer will stick to the inside of penny sleeves. ALSO, the entire top layer easily delaminates from the pearly stock.

So, be careful how you store them, and don’t pay extra for a blank front proof.

Does it only stick if there is pressure on the card? I try not to pack my cards in too tightly for just that reason...even without penny sleeves. I cringe when I hear that “crackle” of cards separating.

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
It was in a penny sleeve and top loader. I don’t know if it was from the pressure of the top loader itself, or maybe an inferior penny sleeve. Maybe a 55pt would have been better. I’m in the process of switching everything over to new ultra pro sleeves/toploaders.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
It sucks when card companies start experimenting with different chemical compounds for their surface coatings. I wonder how extensively they test the new coatings with existing card protection products, or even if they do.
I remember when ‘91 Stadium Club came out and it was glossier than anything I’d seen before. The cards had a smell that, to me, smelled like carrots.

Collecting ‘96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball. Let me know whatcha got for sale/trade!
Sent using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
01-27-2017, 10:08 PM

2003 Topps Chrome Refractors

Silver unnumbered
Blue #/699
Gold #/449
Black #/199

Does anyone else find these very hard to come across, especially the black & silver? I'm not understanding why a card #/199 from 2003, when the glut started, is so hard to find. And the silver is even tougher somehow?

Over a year later and a Black #/199 finally came up for sale (I'm not counting the one on Beckett that nut Card Gallery has for $36 that will be there until inflation makes the $7 I paid worth $36 in 2055 money).

I get as much enjoyment finding these type cards as I do 1/1s. #/199 and takes years & years to find, it's so odd for just a plain ole' Topps Chome refractor. If anyone ever sees the Silver retail, nudge me.

Image 6.png

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Congrats! When the only one I have seen surfaced, I was on the road to Canseco's house and missed out. I have since picked up an unstamped version so I'm happy with that ... but still looking for the stamped one as well :)

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Over a year later and a Black #/199 finally came up for sale (I'm not counting the one on Beckett that nut Card Gallery has for $36 that will be there until inflation makes the $7 I paid worth $36 in 2055 money).

I get as much enjoyment finding these type cards as I do 1/1s. #/199 and takes years & years to find, it's so odd for just a plain ole' Topps Chome refractor. If anyone ever sees the Silver retail, nudge me.

View attachment 77906

Silver are super tough as they were redemptions, only for Series 2 (was Johnson in Series 1 or 2?). I believe there were 100 redemption cards for each player, not all got redeemed by a longshot. You also need an uncirculated Xfractor #/57.

03TOPPSCHROME.jpg
03TOPPSCHROMEREF.jpg
03TOPPSCHROMEGOLD.jpg
03TOPPSCHROMEBLACK.jpg

03TOPPSCHROMESILVER.jpg
03TOPPSCHROMEREDEMPTION.jpg
03TOPPSCHROMEXREF.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2008
The Mark Grace Museum strikes again! Well done. You are awesome in your organization and reference capabilities. When I don't know what a card set/issue looks like I go to your site ;)

Members online