Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1988 vs 1989 tara plaques

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
The guy on Ebay with the 43 plaques for sale informed me that none of the plaques have the variation that we are looking for and that several other people had asked the same question. I wonder who they were?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
tpeichel said:
The guy on Ebay with the 43 plaques for sale informed me that none of the plaques have the variation that we are looking for and that several other people had asked the same question. I wonder who they were?

hehe yeah I went after him before I posted this :)

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
For years there was never a mention of a 1989 plaque and all of the sudden Beckett listed one. There is no concrete evidence to support more than one year and no reason to believe there was ever a second year produced. I don't know about you all but I'm calling BS on this one.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Mozzie22 said:
For years there was never a mention of a 1989 plaque and all of the sudden Beckett listed one. There is no concrete evidence to support more than one year and no reason to believe there was ever a second year produced. I don't know about you all but I'm calling BS on this one.

Can we track what year they started including the 1989 plaque set? Who has several Almanacs that could check on this?

Dec 10, 2008
My McGwire barcode is 0 29116 44000 5, so the barcode theory doesn't fit my specific piece. It could still work, if the barcodes instead indicate what market the piece was sent to, with the "home" market having X amount more than other markets.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I bought a Ron Darling plaque, he isn't even listed on the back of his own checklist...

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
There is only one year of Tara Plaques. So it has been said, so it shall be written.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Something I just learned is that there is also a Kevin McReynolds plaque (there's one on eBay) that is not listed, bringing the actual set total to 50 plaques. The Standard Catalog only lists a 1988 set, but includes Bo Diaz in the set and actually uses Diaz as the sample photo, which would make 51. The Standard Catalog also says this: "As is sometimes the case, late production changes and the creation of the team assortments may have resulted in addition or deletion of some players from the printed checklist."

The back of the packaging also mentions the plaques being available in team assortments making me wonder if anyone has ever run across any boxes of just a few teams.

---------

A little more Googling just turned up a Danny Jackson for 52 total.

http://www.doublequicktime.com/item/description/id/24405458

--------

Also just found a lot that includes Gary Carter for 53. I'm thinking there were "team assortments" of the Mets and Reds given these unlisted issues.

http://for-sale.yowcow.com/listing/68087623/

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
So no one has ever seen a variation back ? The players who aren't even on the "normal" back but exist , still have a "normal" back ?

I've been looking for the Clark variation , for well , forever, but does everyone one agree they prob don't exist ? Anyone know where the original list of (Benito , Darling , Rickey, .) markings ever came from ?

Ryan

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I highly suspect the differences just accumulated as people pondered logical corrections to the 1988 issue. It is frustrating that no massive stockpile of these has ever surfaced. But I guess they were never popular, and being issued by a toy company that hadn't produced many sports items, it's not surprising. Just seems like a ton of these should have appeared at Dollar Tree or Big Lots in the last 20 years.

Given the players I just found evidence of, there are a handful of players that are conspicuous by their absence: Ruben Sierra, Glenn Davis, Robin Yount, Juan Samuel, Tony Fernandez, Jack Clark, Danny Tartabull, Eddie Murray...

Last edited:

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
So, in my beckett checklist, I have 2 items for Canseco Tara plaques: 1988 #7 and 1989 #32 . Is this wrong then?

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
So, in my beckett checklist, I have 2 items for Canseco Tara plaques: 1988 #7 and 1989 #32 . Is this wrong then?

Basically. And Beckett's numbering was arbitrary, there aren't any numbers actually associated with the plaques, they just can't help themselves when it comes to adding numbers for unnumbered items.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Alright then! I guess I'll remove from my checklist. This does feel wrong though, lol

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Basically. And Beckett's numbering was arbitrary, there aren't any numbers actually associated with the plaques, they just can't help themselves when it comes to adding numbers for unnumbered items.

Or when they re number numbered items like the Starshot Badges

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Alright then! I guess I'll remove from my checklist. This does feel wrong though, lol

This is when you create a second checklist. One that has known items and one that has , it could be out there items. Then when you find a could e out there item , you get the satisfaction of crossing it off the list as well as adding a new find to the known list ;)

Ryan

mouschi

May 18, 2012
This is when you create a second checklist. One that has known items and one that has , it could be out there items. Then when you find a could e out there item , you get the satisfaction of crossing it off the list as well as adding a new find to the known list ;)

Ryan

Great idea! I like that.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I looked for the variation for years. I used to have over a hundred scans of backs and never saw any proof of a different back/variation. I took this off my Ozzie checklist years ago.

Members online

Latest posts