Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
tunahead said:
n1astrosfn said:
i want to clarify that yes, 1995 fleer extra bases samples are a legit set and its in my bags checklist. fleer produced the jumbo set in 1994 and made previews for 1995 before pulling the plug. however two things i hate.

1) one seller comes across these (years after 1995), a seller who happens to be on the beckett marketplace. i wouldnt call that unethical or even shady/sketchy/questionable, but these werent on anyones wantlist until it appeared in the beckett and made it "official". theres a lot of unchecklisted cards or sets that need correction (1994 topps sampler as 3 cards NOT 1) that ive emailed about that have fallen on deaf ears but clearly this was added as it helped both parties.

2) i wasn't comparing these LEGIT promos to fake special olympic cards or fake printing plates. my arguement was that many player collectors are dumb. look at the marketplace for 1995 extra bases. ~better hurry player collectors, only one seller with these and he only has one of each player~ i know money isnt a factor for many but knowing one seller has multiple of these, the player collector should have the advantage, however this seller has gone to sell several of these for flat out ridiculous prices. dumb player collectors.

So basically you're mad that Beckett added this set for a large dealer, but hasn't listened to you for the changes you've submitted... got it.

Actually the dealer has the advantage here, without collectors knowing exactly how many of each player he has, and slowly trickling them out, he can get high prices for the initial ones. Smart move on his part. But who knows how many he has... could have 5 of each player or 50.

Also, before going some player collectors dumb, you might want to look into using proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

to clarify, i am a dumb player collector, just not as rich/money to burn/foolish as others. and the seller has done well not flooding the market at one time. and what the **** is grammar.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
tpeichel said:
Thank you, added a few more, but it sure seems like there are some missing.

PLAYER Year DESCRIPTION
BAGWELL,JEFF 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
BONDS,BARRY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
GRIFFEY JR, KEN 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
LOFTON,KENNY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
MCDOWELL,JACK 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7 Promo
PIAZZA,MIKE 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
RIPKEN JR,CAL 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
THOMAS,FRANK 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7

i broke up and sold 2 complete sets in the past. i forget but i want to say its a 22 or 21 card set that came sealed. 1 or 2 were promos. i remem the puckett fetching the most like 10ish. and i think henderson was in the set as well

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
n1astrosfn said:
tpeichel said:

PLAYER Year DESCRIPTION

i broke up and sold 2 complete sets in the past. i forget but i want to say its a 22 or 21 card set that came sealed. 1 or 2 were promos. i remem the puckett fetching the most like 10ish. and i think henderson was in the set as well

Thanks for the info. That certainly helps.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
n1astrosfn said:
tpeichel said:

PLAYER Year DESCRIPTION

Looks like these are called Statuegraphs. Verified the Puckett and found a Canseco and Palmeiro as well. Then I saw this little blurb:

Cal Ripken and Rafael Palmeiro are among the 96 major-leaguers featured on SuperSlam Sports' Statuegraphs.

The Statuegraph is a postcard-sized photo that has the three-dimensional depth of a holograph. Call (714) 729-4253.

96? Hmmm, back to the drawing board.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
alomar
belle
gonzo
bonds
mcgriff

bagwell
griffey
ripken
piazza
puckett

henderson
maddux
clemens

these are the ones i could find in the set that sold. 7 others mustve not sold. i deleted my excel files but found these in old feedback. beckett lists a bagwell promo but im 99% sure it doesnt exist as the only promo that came with the 20 regular ones was the mcdowell promo and maybe another (really wish i could remem). again these were factory set issued and i remem the seller had like several of these

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
n1astrosfn said:
alomar
belle
gonzo
bonds
mcgriff

bagwell
griffey
ripken
piazza
puckett

henderson
maddux
clemens

these are the ones i could find in the set that sold. 7 others mustve not sold. i deleted my excel files but found these in old feedback. beckett lists a bagwell promo but im 99% sure it doesnt exist as the only promo that came with the 20 regular ones was the mcdowell promo and maybe another (really wish i could remem). again these were factory set issued and i remem the seller had like several of these

That's a big help. Checked Beckett and they have two different McDowell promos, a silver and gold. This guy has a set on eBay, but so far hasn't responded to my multiple requests for the set size. My luck I'd buy it and get a set with only the four guys that they list in Beckett.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
tpeichel said:
n1astrosfn said:
alomar
belle
gonzo
bonds
mcgriff

bagwell
griffey
ripken
piazza
puckett

henderson
maddux
clemens

That's a big help. Checked Beckett and they have two different McDowell promos, a silver and gold. This guy has a set on eBay, but so far hasn't responded to my multiple requests for the set size. My luck I'd buy it and get a set with only the four guys that they list in Beckett.

The Standard Catalog lists 16 of these cards plus the 2 McDowell promos

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
tunahead said:
tpeichel said:
n1astrosfn said:
alomar
belle
gonzo
bonds
mcgriff

bagwell
griffey
ripken
piazza
puckett

henderson
maddux
clemens

Looks like this may be the final set. Thanks everyone for the help!

PLAYER Year DESCRIPTION
ALOMAR,ROBERTO 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
ALOU,MOISES 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
BAGWELL,JEFF 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
BELLE,ALBERT 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
BONDS,BARRY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
CANSECO,JOSE 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
CLEMENS,ROGER 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
GONZALEZ,JUAN 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
GRIFFEY JR, KEN 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
GWYNN,TONY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
HENDERSON,RICKEY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
LOFTON,KENNY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
MADDUX,GREG 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
MCDOWELL,JACK 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7 Promo (silver)
MCDOWELL,JACK 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7 Promo (gold)
MCGRIFF,FRED 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
PIAZZA,MIKE 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
PUCKETT,KIRBY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
RIPKEN JR,CAL 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
THOMAS,FRANK 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7

Jan 14, 2009
n1astrosfn said:
i agree that these are legit, however it really irks me how ignorant some player collectors are. I love oddballish stuff, however its stuff like those "special olympic" stamped crap, fake printing plates, "variations" where the ink is one shade different in a corner that makes me want to want to vomit on a card and sell it to some deep pocketed player collector. dumbs.

im sorry you took it so personal but typing a nonsensical word on a message board is no where near as fun as spending hours finding a multicolor print spot on a 1990 donruss common. way dumbs.

i want to clarify that yes, 1995 fleer extra bases samples are a legit set and its in my bags checklist. fleer produced the jumbo set in 1994 and made previews for 1995 before pulling the plug. however two things i hate.

1) one seller comes across these (years after 1995), a seller who happens to be on the beckett marketplace. i wouldnt call that unethical or even shady/sketchy/questionable, but these werent on anyones wantlist until it appeared in the beckett and made it "official". theres a lot of unchecklisted cards or sets that need correction (1994 topps sampler as 3 cards NOT 1) that ive emailed about that have fallen on deaf ears but clearly this was added as it helped both parties.

2) i wasn't comparing these LEGIT promos to fake special olympic cards or fake printing plates. my arguement was that many player collectors are dumb. look at the marketplace for 1995 extra bases. ~better hurry player collectors, only one seller with these and he only has one of each player~ i know money isnt a factor for many but knowing one seller has multiple of these, the player collector should have the advantage, however this seller has gone to sell several of these for flat out ridiculous prices. dumb player collectors.

I doubt I'm the only one here - a thread fueled by player collectors' knowledge and hard work - that finds the above statements of yours off-putting.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
I was in contact with Steve Taft for 2 years waiting on the Frank Thomas game breaker card. From talking with him he has a source for those cards that keeps them in storage, and supposedly is wealthy and not real motivated to get cards out of storage and sell to Steve. He sold me the game breaker Thomas for $20, when I would have paid more than 5 times that. Very very rare cards that go for very small amounts, which is surprising to me

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
jacksoncoupage said:
n1astrosfn said:
i agree that these are legit, however it really irks me how ignorant some player collectors are. I love oddballish stuff, however its stuff like those "special olympic" stamped crap, fake printing plates, "variations" where the ink is one shade different in a corner that makes me want to want to vomit on a card and sell it to some deep pocketed player collector. dumbs.

im sorry you took it so personal but typing a nonsensical word on a message board is no where near as fun as spending hours finding a multicolor print spot on a 1990 donruss common. way dumbs.

I doubt I'm the only one here - a thread fueled by player collectors' knowledge and hard work - that finds the above statements of yours off-putting.

I agree...after 835 pages of 90's inserts, it may be the first time I was called dumb, and foolish! Wait... I am trading money for cardboard pictures of an old, overweight baseball player...maybe n1astrosfn is right... :cry:

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Gwynn545 said:
jacksoncoupage said:
n1astrosfn said:

I agree...after 835 pages of 90's inserts, it may be the first time I was called dumb, and foolish! Wait... I am trading money for cardboard pictures of an old, overweight baseball player...maybe n1astrosfn is right... :cry:
Then again, it's just money; it's just a system.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
AUTaxMan said:
ThoseBackPages said:
someone please give me the skinny on the 1991 score promos

I believe they are missing the 1990 statistics on the back. Only way to tell them from the regular issues.

must be really hard to find as there is only one Brett in the PSA pop report, and it's a 7

Rocketman12

Jun 25, 2011
ThoseBackPages said:
AUTaxMan said:
ThoseBackPages said:
someone please give me the skinny on the 1991 score promos

I believe they are missing the 1990 statistics on the back. Only way to tell them from the regular issues.

must be really hard to find as there is only one Brett in the PSA pop report, and it's a 7

Check pages 73-75 of this thread for more info.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
tpeichel said:
tunahead said:
tpeichel said:
n1astrosfn said:
alomar
belle
gonzo
bonds
mcgriff

bagwell
griffey
ripken
piazza
puckett

henderson
maddux
clemens

Looks like this may be the final set. Thanks everyone for the help!

PLAYER Year DESCRIPTION
ALOMAR,ROBERTO 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
ALOU,MOISES 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
BAGWELL,JEFF 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
BELLE,ALBERT 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
BONDS,BARRY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
CANSECO,JOSE 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
CLEMENS,ROGER 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
GONZALEZ,JUAN 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
GRIFFEY JR, KEN 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
GWYNN,TONY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
HENDERSON,RICKEY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
LOFTON,KENNY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
MADDUX,GREG 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
MCDOWELL,JACK 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7 Promo (silver)
MCDOWELL,JACK 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7 Promo (gold)
MCGRIFF,FRED 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
PIAZZA,MIKE 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
PUCKETT,KIRBY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
RIPKEN JR,CAL 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7
THOMAS,FRANK 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition Statuegraph 5x7

The Mcdowell Proto1 :
IMG_0001-15.jpg

Notice the black border around it. So...I'm assuming this is the silver version? I see no gold?

Back:
IMG_0002-17.jpg

And my Bagwell which is the normal version(looks the same as my griffey and ripken):
IMG_0003-2.jpg

Back:
IMG_0004-3.jpg

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
clarkfan said:
I'll email one of the guys that contacted me about the 1991 Score Set Brad. I'm pretty sure Grace is in it. He was trying to put together a complete set of it and has been collecting rare promos for years, so maybe he can shed some light on it's existence. I will at least see if he'll send me a scan of it. I see no reason why Grace wouldn't exist. It's just that the 1990 and 1991 Score Promos are so rare that it is hard to find anyone with an example at all. It's sort of like 1990 Sportsflics promos. Most people don't checklist them since Beckett doesn't know about them, but they are definitely out there and exist. One of the first rare promos I ever picked up of Clark was the Sportsflics one.

I need to rescan this, but here is my 1990 Sportflics and 1992 Score Promo cards.

Bedrock.jpg

Members online