Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Does the grade really affect the price that much in a card like that? Sure, it's no 10, but an 8 still isn't a low grade card. I'd want a card like that stabbed for authentication purposes more than anything.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I 3rd that Bronze Griffey. I wouldn't even take it for $100 seriously. no way in hell someone offered you 8k for it. The Gem masters on eBay now isn't even going to get 3k and that's a 10x nicer card while still being ugly. As far as the Jeter I had someone ask if I had one years ago randomly when I was selling some rarer Griffeys who threw out he would pay 25k. Don't be hurt you can't afford to go that high, it is what it is. Same thing I heard with Griffeys over the years. The prices go up on the rare stuff that's desirable that's how the market works

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
If you have an $8000 offer on the Leaf Bronze Griffey, take it and run. There is absolutely no way it belongs in the same price range [or discussion] as the Crusade Red, Mirror Gold, or any other top-tier Griffey cards. It's a thick, ugly, metal card that everyone overlooks because it's thick, ugly, and metal. Even if it is a 1/1 (which it's not), even if it was pack issued (which it's not), it's just not a desirable card. It's that thorn in everyone player collector's side that nobody really wants to put on a wantlist or really acknowledge at all. Plus, you have totally killed the mystique of it, trying to bring it up whenever a REAL iconic card of a star surfaces. Seriously, every time. Stop trying to make *fetch* happen.

I agree. This card is a joke. Nobody cares about it, rare or not. You can keep flaunting it but nobody cares about it. It can be rare but there is absolutely no demand for it and absolutely no way you haev a $8k offer on it. Bringing it up in the same discussion as a 1996 mirror gold is ridiculous.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Basically you're saying your Griffey Leaf Bronze Promo is worth the same as one of my Flair Griffey Masterpieces.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I have no idea if the 8k is realistic or not, but its much more than a $100 card as well. Yes its been handled questionably, but there could be demand for it off here. I could see the 2500-4000 range for it.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
No way. I've seen a lot of your posts and you're usually spot on, but I just can't see that. Who wants these cards??? Why would someone spend $2500 on that when they can get a MUCH better Griffey or Jeter? This is a promo from a set that nobody cares about. There are the crazy 1990 Donruss Aqueous cards that I guess would be a comparison, but this is some random Leaf issue that never had and still doesn't have any real interest.

I have no idea if the 8k is realistic or not, but its much more than a $100 card as well. Yes its been handled questionably, but there could be demand for it off here. I could see the 2500-4000 range for it.

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
No way. I've seen a lot of your posts and you're usually spot on, but I just can't see that. Who wants these cards??? Why would someone spend $2500 on that when they can get a MUCH better Griffey or Jeter? This is a promo from a set that nobody cares about. There are the crazy 1990 Donruss Aqueous cards that I guess would be a comparison, but this is some random Leaf issue that never had and still doesn't have any real interest.
Ill move it to fact based data of why i think it has value to people, I sold my Will Clark Bronzw for over $8000 and had another offer for over $6000. Those prices are real and Id say KG has enough deep pocket guys to afford $2500+.

Ryan

Last edited:

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Like I said, I can't imagine someone spending thousands for those cards when there are SO many rare and beautiful cards to chase, and that's why I consider it a waste. To each his own though.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
People like just to hold desirable cards hostage for some pie in the sky return. Maybe this is not the case here, but it does happen all the time. It's gotten to the point where you seriously have to think twice about letting anyone know what you collect for fear that the price will be jacked up on it. If there is any doubt, think of how Vizquel and Galarraga are treated now. There are still sellers who just flip stuff normally and hobby good guys who trade to help others, but the majority seem to want to find the best angle to squeeze every cent out of any card/item they can.

The down side to shutting down is that advertising your wants will occasionally help something come your way that maybe otherwise would not have. Any major player/theme collector with a website or a stand out online presence will surely tell you that people have brought things to them first, sold to them outright rather than auction, or even given things away because a seller searched the internet and found them as a top hit.

Is it worth the risk to miss something good and overpay for the rest…that is the question?

If you have an $8000 offer on the Leaf Bronze Griffey, take it and run. There is absolutely no way it belongs in the same price range [or discussion] as the Crusade Red, Mirror Gold, or any other top-tier Griffey cards. It's a thick, ugly, metal card that everyone overlooks because it's thick, ugly, and metal. Even if it is a 1/1 (which it's not), even if it was pack issued (which it's not), it's just not a desirable card. It's that thorn in everyone player collector's side that nobody really wants to put on a wantlist or really acknowledge at all. Plus, you have totally killed the mystique of it, trying to bring it up whenever a REAL iconic card of a star surfaces. Seriously, every time. Stop trying to make *fetch* happen.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Hey, I'm the one who actually just won the Maddux Mirror Black card. I had bid on it when it was first went up for auction, but one or two others sniped it from me at the last minute (I had bid just under 2k). This time I went north of 2K. Did you bid on this one this go around?

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Thanks...I think I might have to move some cards after this one, as I didn't start the week expecting to see this pop up again...or drop 2k on a card. I was definitely breathing a little heavy during the last couple of seconds.

Congratulations! I know how it is with the seconds counting down. ....heart beating faster and faster....

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
On a serious note, I'm still looking all over the place for a beautiful 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold of Kirby Puckett and I'd be interested in one of them there ugly no-good 1996 Leaf Bronze crummy metal promos too... Hit me up if you or someone you know wants to part with either one or both preferably.

Last edited:

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Ill move it to fact based data of why i think it has value to people, I sold my Will Clark Bronzw for over $8000 and had another offer for over $6000. Those prices are real and Id say KG has enough deep pocket guys to afford $2500+.

Ryan

Im glad you brought this up because your right but there are a couple tiers and at the moment it only kinda applies to Griffey on the mid level with the stupid sellers with the crazy titles.
I feel every card has a range of what it's really worth and then there is what you can sell it for
for at a current time. 2 completely different things. If you got that money for that Promo I believe you and I say that's great! Let that guy who bought it from you throw it up for auction and see why happens though. Maybe there are 2 deep pocket guys that don't care about money but it's not like that for every player. If that Griffey went up for auction I'd say maybe $500. I know a ton of Griffey guys who won't pay $2500 for some top tier Griffeys never mind a promo. All it takes is one guy to get your money so I hope he gets his 8k but I'd love to find out who.

Before Galarraga and Vizquel, there was Jim Thome. I made money hand over fist from 1 guy sending me envelopes of cash in the mail buying $2 cards for $200. This lasted for about 6 months. He eventually went away. So for that period to this 1 guy anything /50 and under was worth like $100+. Nobody else was plaything these prices tho, just this one guy. There was one other seller that was pissed and bidding him up on auctions. I found this guy on chance because he beat me on a $10 Thome card I put s $65 max bid on just to win. All these cards where worth the same before and after he bought them though. Now every single Jim Thome card is pretty much back to the same level before that guy went nuts. Now it's Galarraga and Vizquel, but just on the first couple that show up. It's rumored these guys are millionaires so it could even be just a game to them.

Im not saying nobody would pay that price im just saying no way do I think more than 1 person would so I'd take it and run!

Members online