Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Just wanted to say that even though I haven't been as active posting here I still check in and check out new pickups and such. I figured I'd throw this in here as well because my collection got off the ground thanks to many people here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EyPgYpYfBnYZACshjUY31KBjZkLlwxlp/view?usp=sharing

Many thanks for any leads on any of these!

Wondered if you were still around, I thought of you when I saw an Arod platinum gold listed recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Any opinions in this the newest iteration of the game: 1998 Bowman Chrome Gold Anniversary Refractors real vs fake?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/372351100292

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Not sure, but the number on the left looks slightly smaller than the right, which I thought was a good sign? I took a pic of mine, got it from a reputable source so I’m guessing it’s good. Maybe someone has a 5/5 to compare?
Image1531101686.733590.jpg

Edit: Checked completed auctions and saw a Tatis end a while back from the same seller for only $47. I could be mistaken, but I thought I heard some suspect things about the seller? The reason I remember is that I have bought from them before without problems, but this news seemed concerning.

Last edited:

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Crooked numbers and a "big" 5 are not cause for alarm. Biggest sign should be depth of embossing. All this is why I stopped collecting this set. Sad.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Any opinions in this the newest iteration of the game: 1998 Bowman Chrome Gold Anniversary Refractors real vs fake?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/372351100292

I strongly believe the Cruz Jr. and Tatis that just sold feature counterfeit stamping for multiple reasons:

The font on the Cruz Jr. (bottom) and Tatis (middle) is completely different from stamping used by Topps (see authentic Boone, top of picture) - authentic versions feature a slightly thicker font (see the "/" and the "5"). Further, the "5" is narrow in authentic stamps - the loop is condensed almost like a straight-edge is compressing it inwards; the counterfeit stamp has a rounder loop. Lastly, the downward vertical line at the top of the "5" on authentic versions are close to 90 degrees; counterfeit stamps feature this line an angle closer to 80 degrees.
46c59304c3722654f1d2e8bcd0d1aa45.jpg

Also, some red flags pop up from the specific numbering of the Cruz Jr. and Tatis:

The Cruz Jr and Tatis were both numbered 5/5, sold by the same consignor. Back in August, there was a Griffey that was also 5/5, listed by same consignor, that was called out as counterfeit by myself and some other collectors. Here's side-by-side pictures of the counterfeit-stamped Griffey with an authentic Chipper Jones and Hines Ward, for cross-sport evidence. Notice the stamping font on the Griffey is almost identical to the Cruz Jr. and Tatis:
06235497a30c81a0c7175d2d9be3b038.jpg

The Griffey was taken down by the consignor after sharing what we found. We also established direct contact with the owner of the Griffey and he claimed he didn't know they were fake and apologized. However, nearly a year later we see the Cruz Jr. and the Tatis with the same 5/5 numbering and the same counterfeit font so my guess is the owner consigned again, thinking whoever saw the Griffey a year ago would forget. I also don't think it is coincidence that these 3 counterfeits are all stamped 5/5 - maybe the counterfeiter realized that the number "5" would be easiest to fake.

Lastly - I do not blame the consignor in this case - my buddies know the consignor really well and is an honest guy but deals with hundreds of cards and chalk this up to slipping through the cracks due to sheer volume. While it's too late for the Cruz Jr. and the Tatis, hopefully this network can keep an eye out for these counterfeits in the future.

Last edited:

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Not sure, but the number on the left looks slightly smaller than the right, which I thought was a good sign? I took a pic of mine, got it from a reputable source so I’m guessing it’s good. Maybe someone has a 5/5 to compare?
View attachment 81129

Edit: Checked completed auctions and saw a Tatis end a while back from the same seller for only $47. I could be mistaken, but I thought I heard some suspect things about the seller? The reason I remember is that I have bought from them before without problems, but this news seemed concerning.

Your copy looks good to me - the "/5" stamp font is correct and the "3" matches with an authentic version (the difference in thickness is due to your picture being zoomed in and the authentic comparison being a picture from a farther vantage point):
Image1531101686.733590.jpg

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Your copy looks good to me - the "/5" stamp font is correct and the "3" matches with an authentic version (the difference in thickness is due to your picture being zoomed in and the authentic comparison being a picture from a farther vantage point):
View attachment 81137

Awesome thank you! Now I remember the Griffey, and I think the fact they are all 5/5 probably says everything you need to know about them.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I have no doubt it's Nomo people. Card is hard to find, it's the only Collector's Choice Gold from 94-96 I don't have (have 13 out the 14). Still, that price is just amazing [$77], especially for how worn the corners are.

'96 Collector's Choice Golds were 1 per box, but with 760 base cards over two series of a low end product, makes you wonder how many survivors are out there. [07-15-2017]

A year later & finally found another one that wasn't $80.

My 5,300th Randy Johnson card:
Image 8.png

Dec 4, 2008
OK. Big props to Tidel144. That was a beautiful forensic de-construction of a fraud. I do this sort of thing for work using data, so I recognize talent when I see it. Respectful nod to you, sir. You are a professional!

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I am very confused. The 97 Gonzalez and the 94 Canseco never were serial numbered. the serial numbers that never where edition????? What's up with that???

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Posted in the mcgwire thread while I was updating some of the last couple of months of cards in my collection - posting here in case anyone else was confused by the variant. I think these are similar to the prime nine variants though with ink levels fluctuating - some consider this a variant, some don't - use your own judgement:

The '98 ultra pizzazz cards (both base and gold medallion) have a color variation on the number - probably just based on an ink cartridge running low, but many collectors consider this a variation. Figured I'd just post a pic in case someone else wanted to chase these - here is what you are looking for if someone is talking about them or you are looking for one:

pizzazz.jpg

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Posted in the mcgwire thread while I was updating some of the last couple of months of cards in my collection - posting here in case anyone else was confused by the variant. I think these are similar to the prime nine variants though with ink levels fluctuating - some consider this a variant, some don't - use your own judgement:

The '98 ultra pizzazz cards (both base and gold medallion) have a color variation on the number - probably just based on an ink cartridge running low, but many collectors consider this a variation. Figured I'd just post a pic in case someone else wanted to chase these - here is what you are looking for if someone is talking about them or you are looking for one:

pizzazz.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I had went through mine and have them both.

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
I recently purchased a large collection. Ended up with a lot of awesome 90s inserts, many are duplicates but always happy to pick up extras

1999 Ultra Masterpiece.jpg1999 Ultra Masterpiece Back.jpg
1997 Bowmans Best Mirror Image Atomic Refractor Inverted.jpg1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals.jpg1997 EX Essential Credentials .jpg1997 Finest Gold Embossed Refractor.jpg1997 Finest Embossed Refractor Gold PSA 9.jpg1997 Studio Masterstrokes Executive Proof.jpg1997 Studio Masterstrokes Executive Proof Back.jpg
1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary.jpg1998 Bowman Golden Anniversary.jpg
Both golden Anniversary /50
1998 Bowmans Best Atomic Refractor.jpg1998 Bowman's Best Mirror Image Fusion Atomic Refractor.jpg1998 Donruss Collections Preferred Prized Collection.jpg
1998 Donruss Crusade Green.jpg1998 Donruss Crusade Purple.jpg1998 Donruss Crusade Red.jpg
1998 Donruss Elite Master Craftsmen.jpg1998 Finest Centurion Refractor.jpg
1998 Leaf Fractal Matrix Diamond Axis Jersey Number.jpg1998 Leaf Fractal Matrix Diamond Axis Jersey Number Back.jpg
5/50 Jersey #
1998 Pacific Paramount Innaugural Issue.jpg1998 Pinnacle Inside Stand Up Guys Sample 22B.jpg1998 Pinnacle Inside Stand Up Guys Sample 22C.jpg1998 Pinnacle Mint Solid Silver Coin.jpg1998 Skybox Dugout Access 7th Inning Sketch Inside Access .jpg1998 SP Authentic Sheer Dominance Titanium.jpg1998 Sports Illustrated World Series Fever Extra Edition.jpg1998 SPx Power Explosion Spectrum.jpg1998 Topps Gold Label Class 1 Red Label .jpg1998 Topps Gold Label Class 2 Red Label.jpg
1998 Ultra Season Crown Platinum Medallion.jpg1998 Ultra Pizzazz Platinum Medallion Jersey Number.jpg1998 Ultra Pizzazz Platinum Medallion Jersey Number Back.jpg
1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion.jpg
5/98 Jersey #
1998 Upper Deck Clearly Dominant.jpg1998 Upper Deck retro Quantum Leap.jpg1999 Black Diamond Mystery Numbers Emerald.jpg1999 Finest GEMS Gold Refractor.jpg1999 Fleer Brilliants 24kt Gold.jpg
1999 Metal Precious Metal Gems MLPD Jersey Number.jpg1999 Metal Precious Metal Gems MLPD Jersey Number Back.jpg
5/50 Jersey #
1999 UD Choice Starquest Gold.jpg1999 Ultra Platinum Medallion .jpg
1999 Upper Deck Ovation Standing.jpg1999 Ovation Superstar Spotlight Standing Ovation.jpg
Both Standing Ovation /50
1999 Upper Deck Wonder Years Triple.jpg
wonder Years Triple /50

Sorry for so many pictures, just couldn't resist Sharing
Dan