Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 1295 of 1305 FirstFirst ... 295795119512451285129112921293129412951296129712981299 ... LastLast
Results 19,411 to 19,425 of 19568

Thread: Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by athletics07 View Post
    Hey guys...

...just a heads up re: the Lilly and Cruz Jr. golden anniversary refractors being consigned by TNT. I think they may be altered sheet proofs from leximo.

I bid and won the Edgar before realizing the sheet proof sold recently. I took a closer look at the serial number and it has, what appears to be, an embossed nature to it. This is not the case for legit copies. Now two more have popped up. It's due to arrive in the next couple days and I'll update here... in case anyone was planning to bid on the the two up currently and would rather wait. All borders match up on all three as well.
    I will only present this as my opinion but I believe these to be illegitimate. It would probably be easier to tell outside of sleeves in photos but I'm comparing in top loaders for consistency due to TNT's tamper label. I know it means nothing but may as well not complicate matters. The color of the foil is wroong, the size of the numerical stamps are wrong and the impressions left behind by the serial number are wrong.

Most damning are the two border dimples which extend out from his bat.

And here are the same two dimples from the original leximo listing. Glad i saved the listing photos because they have since expired as a completed listing.

Giving the timing, I'd assume the consignor expected those listings to expire prior to processing through TNT. All in all, a really good serial forgery and an unfortunate development for this set. Really puts a damper on my desire to keep chasing these ghosts.
    Last edited by athletics07; 07-11-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @athletics07, which ones of the ones you posted do you assume to be fakes?
    Tradelist (open trade folder): https://goo.gl/9QaZll

2011 Topps Heritage Red/Blue/Green Tints - 53.6% Complete
    2010 Topps Allen & Ginter NNO - 59/350 | 2010 Topps Allen & Ginter Bazooka Back - 52/350

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this is what many of us feared when as this stuff kept hitting the market. People are buying up the non-numbereds, numbering them, and selling them as legit. Now it's extremely difficult to know if any card you are bidding on is legitimate or not. Really damaging to the hobby...
    1998 Tek Diffractor Wantlist - Grace & Sosa
    1998 Tek Jay Buhner Wantlist - 41 and 57
    1998 Tek Griffey Wantlist - 1, 2, 4, 10, 19, 23, 27, 45, 49, 53, 66, 72, 86
    Complete Want lists HERE

Collecting 1997 Score Reserve Collection and 2014 Tek non-auto rarities

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxabuser View Post
    @athletics07, which ones of the ones you posted do you assume to be fakes?
    Just the Edgar. When I said "they" I was referring to the Cruz and Lilly currently on eBay. The Smoltz and Bonds are wholly legit and in the photos for comparison.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Err, that is very frustrating.

Ryan
    Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

BIG THANKS TO JBEL4431 FOR THE BANNERS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the Edgar. When I said "they" I was referring to the Cruz and Lilly currently on eBay. The Smoltz and Bonds are wholly legit and in the photos for comparison.
    Gotcha, thanks. The serial numbering on the Edgar is pretty good for a fake, but side-by-side with legit copies it is easier to spot. Very good detective work.

2010 Topps Allen & Ginter NNO - 59/350 | 2010 Topps Allen & Ginter Bazooka Back - 52/350

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks, i have a numberd one from years ago and i picked up a non numberd not to long ago.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed out on a green copy last month that sold BIN before I even saw it so I was happy to be able pick up a purple copy. This is #17 . I can't imagine there are too many more floating around that aren't locked up in collections.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	71267

Views:	31 
Size:	262.4 KB 
ID:	71268
    Gradually downsizing my AJ collection. If you are looking for a specific card, PM me, I may have it.

bmaaaaaaac
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandruw25 View Post
    I missed out on a green copy last month that sold BIN before I even saw it so I was happy to be able pick up a purple copy. This is #17 . I can't imagine there are too many more floating around that aren't locked up in collections.

Views:	38 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	71267
    Geez that Purple CTA looks so good at that lighting angle, well done sir. Maybe one day....
    Randy Johnson Collector!! 5,161 Unique Cards & Counting.
    [Most Wanted: 2015 Topps Five Star MLB Logoman Autograph]
    https://sportscardalbum.com/u/bigunitcards

carrsallstars
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like you sized it up correctly to me. And it's disappointing. The font on the Edgar looks bad. I will say, though, that the dimples can be consistently located on certain issues. The David Ortiz Golden Anniversary, for example, all have a dimple in the same place (I have owned 4). I have a couple regular gold Edgars I can check. If the your Edgar has embossed font, can you tell if it shows up very lightly on the front of the card looking through the toploader?

I will only present this as my opinion but I believe these to be illegitimate. It would probably be easier to tell outside of sleeves in photos but I'm comparing in top loaders for consistency due to TNT's tamper label. I know it means nothing but may as well not complicate matters. The color of the foil is wroong, the size of the numerical stamps are wrong and the impressions left behind by the serial number are wrong.

Most damning are the two border dimples which extend out from his bat.

And here are the same two dimples from the original leximo listing. Glad i saved the listing photos because they have since expired as a completed listing.

Giving the timing, I'd assume the consignor expected those listings to expire prior to processing through TNT. All in all, a really good serial forgery and an unfortunate development for this set. Really puts a damper on my desire to keep chasing these ghosts.

Collecting (click for website/wantlist):.....Manny Ramirez.....1998 Bowman Chrome Master Set.....2009 Topps Tribute Black Master Set

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrsallstars View Post
    It looks like you sized it up correctly to me. And it's disappointing. The font on the Edgar looks bad. I will say, though, that the dimples can be consistently located on certain issues. The David Ortiz Golden Anniversary, for example, all have a dimple in the same place (I have owned 4). I have a couple regular gold Edgars I can check. If the your Edgar has embossed font, can you tell if it shows up very lightly on the front of the card looking through the toploader?
    Are you asking whether the serial number shows through on the front? I'd check but it's already on its way back. I've noticed that happen on Crusades. Interesting info on the dimples. I'm still pretty confident in my determination, aside from the foil hue, the arc on the 5 is crucial.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, are the (2) 5s on the Smoltz different fonts? Meaning the left one differs from the right. To me the bottom arcs differ, curious to what you see.

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RStadlerASU22 View Post
    Just curious, are the (2) 5s on the Smoltz different fonts? Meaning the left one differs from the right. To me the bottom arcs differ, curious to what you see.

Ryan
    They look different to me as well, but I think that's to be expected. They cards would all be numbered /5 all at once, while still in sheet form I'd imagine. After they are cut, then they'd get the 1-5 front number.

Looking at this on my desktop it's easier to tell that the fake Edgar in the middle has weird kerning (letter spacing) compared to the Smoltz and Bonds.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxabuser View Post
    They look different to me as well, but I think that's to be expected. They cards would all be numbered /5 all at once, while still in sheet form I'd imagine. After they are cut, then they'd get the 1-5 front number.

Looking at this on my desktop it's easier to tell that the fake Edgar in the middle has weird kerning (letter spacing) compared to the Smoltz and Bonds.
    Agreed that they are prob done at different times , but I would think the same printer would have done it using the same font. Obviously that's not the case. I have one common type guy, when I find it, I'll look to see how it compares. I'll look at the Clark /50 to see any variations.

Ryan

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On all the copies I have, the placement of the initial serial number can be slightly skewed relative to the /5 primary. From my perspective the /5 was placed first and separately. What doesn't differ is the hue and impression. Fwiw, all the copies I have were acquired prior to the sheet release.