Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Hey guys...

...just a heads up re: the Lilly and Cruz Jr. golden anniversary refractors being consigned by TNT. I think they may be altered sheet proofs from leximo.

I bid and won the Edgar before realizing the sheet proof sold recently. I took a closer look at the serial number and it has, what appears to be, an embossed nature to it. This is not the case for legit copies. Now two more have popped up. It's due to arrive in the next couple days and I'll update here... in case anyone was planning to bid on the the two up currently and would rather wait. All borders match up on all three as well.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Any idea how many NNO proofs are out there? I just did a search and looks like he has a bunch listed at $5 OBO. I'd like a Belle but the only one I saw went for much more.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Just one each I believe from whichever sheets he had.
He bought 1 of each sheet from that series. I do not know of more existing. The deal did not have the sheet with Clark etc on it. Some other cool sheets from the deal were 1993 Finest Refractor Front and Back proof sheets.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Matthew J Burrows

Jun 7, 2016
Southeast Alaska
Not sure how many of you have a beckett from the 90's, but I picked up an August 2000 edition with A-Rod on the cover and the prices of our favorite 90's inserts is crazy!! If anybody is curious about one let me know. My biggest surprise so far is how many inserts at the 1:120 rate or so were worth $50 back in 2000. Oh how times have changed. I just picked up a 99 Finest Prominent Figured /190 for $4 the other day. It books at $50 back in 2000 lol.

GameJerseyPR

Oct 21, 2013
c82cb6d20729fb5a55c80b4131fbf168.jpg

Anyone looking for a Ripken 1998 leaf fractal materials z2 axis /20 wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Hey guys...

...just a heads up re: the Lilly and Cruz Jr. golden anniversary refractors being consigned by TNT. I think they may be altered sheet proofs from leximo.

I bid and won the Edgar before realizing the sheet proof sold recently. I took a closer look at the serial number and it has, what appears to be, an embossed nature to it. This is not the case for legit copies. Now two more have popped up. It's due to arrive in the next couple days and I'll update here... in case anyone was planning to bid on the the two up currently and would rather wait. All borders match up on all three as well.

I will only present this as my opinion but I believe these to be illegitimate. It would probably be easier to tell outside of sleeves in photos but I'm comparing in top loaders for consistency due to TNT's tamper label. I know it means nothing but may as well not complicate matters. The color of the foil is wroong, the size of the numerical stamps are wrong and the impressions left behind by the serial number are wrong.

D9ZR65F.jpg

juwYL7l.jpg

Most damning are the two border dimples which extend out from his bat.
MEbhcWZ.jpg

And here are the same two dimples from the original leximo listing. Glad i saved the listing photos because they have since expired as a completed listing.

L01WanN.jpg

Giving the timing, I'd assume the consignor expected those listings to expire prior to processing through TNT. All in all, a really good serial forgery and an unfortunate development for this set. Really puts a damper on my desire to keep chasing these ghosts.

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
And this is what many of us feared when as this stuff kept hitting the market. People are buying up the non-numbereds, numbering them, and selling them as legit. Now it's extremely difficult to know if any card you are bidding on is legitimate or not. Really damaging to the hobby...

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
[MENTION=10975]athletics07[/MENTION], which ones of the ones you posted do you assume to be fakes?

Just the Edgar. When I said "they" I was referring to the Cruz and Lilly currently on eBay. The Smoltz and Bonds are wholly legit and in the photos for comparison.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Just the Edgar. When I said "they" I was referring to the Cruz and Lilly currently on eBay. The Smoltz and Bonds are wholly legit and in the photos for comparison.

Gotcha, thanks. The serial numbering on the Edgar is pretty good for a fake, but side-by-side with legit copies it is easier to spot. Very good detective work.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I missed out on a green copy last month that sold BIN before I even saw it so I was happy to be able pick up a purple copy. This is #17 :D. I can't imagine there are too many more floating around that aren't locked up in collections.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
It looks like you sized it up correctly to me. And it's disappointing. The font on the Edgar looks bad. I will say, though, that the dimples can be consistently located on certain issues. The David Ortiz Golden Anniversary, for example, all have a dimple in the same place (I have owned 4). I have a couple regular gold Edgars I can check. If the your Edgar has embossed font, can you tell if it shows up very lightly on the front of the card looking through the toploader?

I will only present this as my opinion but I believe these to be illegitimate. It would probably be easier to tell outside of sleeves in photos but I'm comparing in top loaders for consistency due to TNT's tamper label. I know it means nothing but may as well not complicate matters. The color of the foil is wroong, the size of the numerical stamps are wrong and the impressions left behind by the serial number are wrong.

D9ZR65F.jpg

juwYL7l.jpg

Most damning are the two border dimples which extend out from his bat.
MEbhcWZ.jpg

And here are the same two dimples from the original leximo listing. Glad i saved the listing photos because they have since expired as a completed listing.

L01WanN.jpg

Giving the timing, I'd assume the consignor expected those listings to expire prior to processing through TNT. All in all, a really good serial forgery and an unfortunate development for this set. Really puts a damper on my desire to keep chasing these ghosts.

Members online