Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 1381 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 3818811281133113711377137813791380138113821383 LastLast
Results 20,701 to 20,715 of 20744

Thread: Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Now if a few more rarities could pop up!

Junior Member Matthew J Burrows's Avatar
     burrowsm_3
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say that even though I haven't been as active posting here I still check in and check out new pickups and such. I figured I'd throw this in here as well because my collection got off the ground thanks to many people here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EyP...ew?usp=sharing

Many thanks for any leads on any of these!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J Burrows View Post
    Just wanted to say that even though I haven't been as active posting here I still check in and check out new pickups and such. I figured I'd throw this in here as well because my collection got off the ground thanks to many people here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EyP...ew?usp=sharing

Many thanks for any leads on any of these!
    Wondered if you were still around, I thought of you when I saw an Arod platinum gold listed recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Junior Member Matthew J Burrows's Avatar
     burrowsm_3
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gjb70 View Post
    Wondered if you were still around, I thought of you when I saw an Arod platinum gold listed recently.

Sure am, just having to stay specific with my pickups. Thanks for looking out though GJB!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any opinions in this the newest iteration of the game: 1998 Bowman Chrome Gold Anniversary Refractors real vs fake?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F372351100292

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Quote Originally Posted by chippercards.com View Post
    Any opinions in this the newest iteration of the game: 1998 Bowman Chrome Gold Anniversary Refractors real vs fake?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Not sure, but the number on the left looks slightly smaller than the right, which I thought was a good sign? I took a pic of mine, got it from a reputable source so Iím guessing itís good. Maybe someone has a 5/5 to compare?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1531101686.733590.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	81129

Edit: Checked completed auctions and saw a Tatis end a while back from the same seller for only $47. I could be mistaken, but I thought I heard some suspect things about the seller? The reason I remember is that I have bought from them before without problems, but this news seemed concerning.

Last edited by Gjb70; 07-08-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Crooked numbers and a "big" 5 are not cause for alarm. Biggest sign should be depth of embossing. All this is why I stopped collecting this set. Sad.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chippercards.com View Post

I strongly believe the Cruz Jr. and Tatis that just sold feature counterfeit stamping for multiple reasons:

The font on the Cruz Jr. (bottom) and Tatis (middle) is completely different from stamping used by Topps (see authentic Boone, top of picture) - authentic versions feature a slightly thicker font (see the "/" and the "5"). Further, the "5" is narrow in authentic stamps - the loop is condensed almost like a straight-edge is compressing it inwards; the counterfeit stamp has a rounder loop. Lastly, the downward vertical line at the top of the "5" on authentic versions are close to 90 degrees; counterfeit stamps feature this line an angle closer to 80 degrees.

Name:	GoldenAnniversaryComparison.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	608.1 KB 
ID:	81132

Also, some red flags pop up from the specific numbering of the Cruz Jr. and Tatis:

The Cruz Jr and Tatis were both numbered 5/5, sold by the same consignor. Back in August, there was a Griffey that was also 5/5, listed by same consignor, that was called out as counterfeit by myself and some other collectors. Here's side-by-side pictures of the counterfeit-stamped Griffey with an authentic Chipper Jones and Hines Ward, for cross-sport evidence. Notice the stamping font on the Griffey is almost identical to the Cruz Jr. and Tatis:

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	81135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (1).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	81136

The Griffey was taken down by the consignor after sharing what we found. We also established direct contact with the owner of the Griffey and he claimed he didn't know they were fake and apologized. However, nearly a year later we see the Cruz Jr. and the Tatis with the same 5/5 numbering and the same counterfeit font so my guess is the owner consigned again, thinking whoever saw the Griffey a year ago would forget. I also don't think it is coincidence that these 3 counterfeits are all stamped 5/5 - maybe the counterfeiter realized that the number "5" would be easiest to fake.

Lastly - I do not blame the consignor in this case - my buddies know the consignor really well and is an honest guy but deals with hundreds of cards and chalk this up to slipping through the cracks due to sheer volume. While it's too late for the Cruz Jr. and the Tatis, hopefully this network can keep an eye out for these counterfeits in the future.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gjb70 View Post
    Not sure, but the number on the left looks slightly smaller than the right, which I thought was a good sign? I took a pic of mine, got it from a reputable source so Iím guessing itís good. Maybe someone has a 5/5 to compare?

Views:	27 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	81129

Edit: Checked completed auctions and saw a Tatis end a while back from the same seller for only $47. I could be mistaken, but I thought I heard some suspect things about the seller? The reason I remember is that I have bought from them before without problems, but this news seemed concerning.
    Your copy looks good to me - the "/5" stamp font is correct and the "3" matches with an authentic version (the difference in thickness is due to your picture being zoomed in and the authentic comparison being a picture from a farther vantage point):

Views:	24 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	81137

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tidel144 View Post
    Your copy looks good to me - the "/5" stamp font is correct and the "3" matches with an authentic version (the difference in thickness is due to your picture being zoomed in and the authentic comparison being a picture from a farther vantage point):

Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	81137
    Awesome thank you! Now I remember the Griffey, and I think the fact they are all 5/5 probably says everything you need to know about them.

bmaaaaaaac
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigunitcards View Post
    I have no doubt it's Nomo people. Card is hard to find, it's the only Collector's Choice Gold from 94-96 I don't have (have 13 out the 14). Still, that price is just amazing [$77], especially for how worn the corners are.

'96 Collector's Choice Golds were 1 per box, but with 760 base cards over two series of a low end product, makes you wonder how many survivors are out there. [07-15-2017]
    A year later & finally found another one that wasn't $80.

My 5,300th Randy Johnson card:

Name:	Image 8.png 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	81138
    Randy Johnson Collector!! 5,300 Unique Cards & Counting.
    https://sportscardalbum.com/u/bigunitcards

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Nice pickup.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Big props to Tidel144. That was a beautiful forensic de-construction of a fraud. I do this sort of thing for work using data, so I recognize talent when I see it. Respectful nod to you, sir. You are a professional!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Always glad to share info like this with everyone

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest sub, went 21-27. The Canseco and Gonzalez are the serial numbers that never where edition.