Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
It looks like you sized it up correctly to me. And it's disappointing. The font on the Edgar looks bad. I will say, though, that the dimples can be consistently located on certain issues. The David Ortiz Golden Anniversary, for example, all have a dimple in the same place (I have owned 4). I have a couple regular gold Edgars I can check. If the your Edgar has embossed font, can you tell if it shows up very lightly on the front of the card looking through the toploader?

Are you asking whether the serial number shows through on the front? I'd check but it's already on its way back. I've noticed that happen on Crusades. Interesting info on the dimples. I'm still pretty confident in my determination, aside from the foil hue, the arc on the 5 is crucial.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Just curious, are the (2) 5s on the Smoltz different fonts? Meaning the left one differs from the right. To me the bottom arcs differ, curious to what you see.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Just curious, are the (2) 5s on the Smoltz different fonts? Meaning the left one differs from the right. To me the bottom arcs differ, curious to what you see.

Ryan

They look different to me as well, but I think that's to be expected. They cards would all be numbered /5 all at once, while still in sheet form I'd imagine. After they are cut, then they'd get the 1-5 front number.

Looking at this on my desktop it's easier to tell that the fake Edgar in the middle has weird kerning (letter spacing) compared to the Smoltz and Bonds.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
They look different to me as well, but I think that's to be expected. They cards would all be numbered /5 all at once, while still in sheet form I'd imagine. After they are cut, then they'd get the 1-5 front number.

Looking at this on my desktop it's easier to tell that the fake Edgar in the middle has weird kerning (letter spacing) compared to the Smoltz and Bonds.
Agreed that they are prob done at different times , but I would think the same printer would have done it using the same font. Obviously that's not the case. I have one common type guy, when I find it, I'll look to see how it compares. I'll look at the Clark /50 to see any variations.

Ryan

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
On all the copies I have, the placement of the initial serial number can be slightly skewed relative to the /5 primary. From my perspective the /5 was placed first and separately. What doesn't differ is the hue and impression. Fwiw, all the copies I have were acquired prior to the sheet release.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
On all the copies I have, the placement of the initial serial number can be slightly skewed relative to the /5 primary. From my perspective the /5 was placed first and separately. What doesn't differ is the hue and impression. Fwiw, all the copies I have were acquired prior to the sheet release.
I'm not doubting for a second yours that you feel are legit, are. My questioning come from more of a how many fonts were actually used legitimately.

Ryan

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I think you're spot on with the Edgar, I just thought the embossing showing on the front would be a handy smoking gun and an easy way to tell on the others in the future as well (if it showed up).

In what could only come in handy in the Super Sweet 90's Inserts Thread, I actually have one of every serial # from 1/50 - 50/50 for series 1 chrome golden anniversary. So I can check some more when I have time. You guys got the gist of the numbering right, though, where the "/50" or "/5" was put on first and the serial number is struck second. The same font is not used for both. The serial # numbers are not as tall and a little wider. Sometimes the spacing is a little off too.

Just send the Clark over and I'll compare it to my other golds for you, free of charge ;)

Agreed that they are prob done at different times , but I would think the same printer would have done it using the same font. Obviously that's not the case. I have one common type guy, when I find it, I'll look to see how it compares. I'll look at the Clark /50 to see any variations.

Ryan

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Here's the back of my Piazza, which I assume is legit

kyq_t4T4iV4LVhDYBkwBaE_zPnwylK9jfNrZYLAz_C6OtKHCqlzphQTrOaoO-HYnqc7df_2Ljg9_u-LBH7RUjD3W8oQHolq2tAUy79fn43lcS4WjiEBm5RjNmt-SuZW8vo6UF0fULXsN7VEfJqMppSdBOcvT5P1Vm83NnircKf2Ml5NM19Tt9zKApuVC9JhBVRclPiJmUDWnCkW7sZjvEtBE7rZIyc3AMQBikiT0KnkTRBiSn7OVtoQLwc5sVTIIWnf7xHm7wZTLg1ozLI9AzAlWrJlaaj_ZqttDxc445CcIGEL5i0SFKVp9B-6be3jZJeNn-4H4eLdQl6WTOnhyr14U6eThajU86avuIGouGcu_w1Ve9AID2W3b0MsicW4WOPP8tVn6gxAqU-OdXiPPPflL9Uz3lEuOwjoul0wUJ-MrZJOQxEQRrQ_OGXeu8L8cvYj9bQmdcWbEXJTrLr0s4Rh6SJ-JfPTTSYspkEnQXvXdmy6_UaEvdgjD9rqrCaqNqXWtJp20xJKQi_7y_mUkW8jSVPCuwtWBjre4qgdO-Lo9mBV-Ls8W3bl84w2YBNBVkSCjJidNVHAMF48Ro85EXNTWP9ksYnXAs23NHDXFslJPxPZ6XikM0Ae3=w335-h552-no

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
Wondering if anybody could help me out. Came across a 1998 Fleer Ultra Alex Rodriguez "card". It's thinner than a regular card, and the back has info about putting it in a display. Anything know more about this card?

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Without seeing a scan, I know the 98 Ultra Ticket Studs cards were thinner than normal cards, and unfolded to become the size of a ticket.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I have no doubt it's Nomo people. Card is hard to find, it's the only Collector's Choice Gold from 94-96 I don't have (have 13 out the 14). Still, that price is just amazing, especially for how worn the corners are.

'96 Collector's Choice Golds were 1 per box, but with 760 base cards over two series of a low end product, makes you wonder how many survivors are out there.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Speaking of high prices - saw some strong sales on recent PWCC auction of rare 90's inserts of Mike Piazza. I only knocked one biggie of my list, but here were some of the more interesting ending prices. Happy to see the secondary market, but bummed I didn't pick up a bunch more cards!

1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Gold Team /25 - final price of $676 with 42 bids, this is about 90% higher than the last recorded price I have seen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Pinnac...608309?hash=item2129c3a4b5:g:SbUAAOSwRXRZWs-u

1998 Bowman's Best Fusion Atomic Refractor /25 - final price of $581 with 35 bids. Never seen one before and missed out on this one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Bowman...911975?hash=item51fb169467:g:mIAAAOSwvflZWs~a

1998 Topps Stars Luminaries /5 - sold for $501, interestingly this auction did not experience a big price increase in the last minute like other listings

1999 Fleer Brilliants 24-K gold /24 - sold for $449, same, no big price increase and a winning bidder with zero feedback

1998 Circa Thunder Super Rave /25 - sold for $338, I picked this up...first one i've ever seen

1998 Donruss crusade purple - sold for $123, last ones have all sold in the $80 range

1999 Circa Thunder Super Rave /25 - sold for $120, last few have sold in the $70-80 range

1998 Fleer Classic '63 Vintage /63 - sold for $117, last one sold for $50

1997 E-X2000 Essential Credentials /99 - sold for $112, way shocked. this is usually a $60 card if not less. This particular card looks well centered, but wow

list goes on and on and on...pretty much every card went above my expectation. shows the power of PWCC

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Wow, I just looked that up, like 100 really nice Piazza cards all in one batch, that's an amazing sale. Had the big guns you listed and a whole slew of low key tough 99/00 #d inserts as well.

And your Super Rave looks really crisp.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Nice run of Piazzas for sure. I actually am surprised how low some went. There were def some nice sales though.

Ryan

Members online