Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spcollector

Nov 11, 2009
I know it's a long shot but does anyone have either of the last two '97 Griffey SP Vintage Buyback Autos for sale:
1997 SP Vintage Autographs #8 Ken Griffey Jr. '93 (#/16)
1997 SP Vintage Autographs #9 Ken Griffey Jr. '93PP (#/5)
to go with these below. Please let me know or if you may have a lead on another collector who may. Thanks!

fC2dEie.jpg

Jan 14, 2009
100% an issue of plastic degradation, maybe sun, maybe not, but that card was once clear. Unfortunately, my Thomas is starting to yellow too despite changing out its sleeves a couple of times in an effort to curb it. Its continued yellowing has me convinced the plastic itself is unstable.

Just my two cents on this.

I think there are two explanations for these and the EX cards from 1998-1999. One type is very clear to me that it is the result of smoke. These usually are shades lighter in yellowing and have area that are deeper in hue than others, ie the edges. Sometimes I’ve found them with clear rectangles indicating that they were in sleeves with price tags but exposed to sun.

The other situation seems to be that fleer/skybox used two different types of plastic for these. One of which turns a solid gold/vibrant yellow color over time, regardless of sun exposure. These are very different from the tinted ones when examined in person. These have no difference in color on the photos and other non acetate areas of the card that would be the result of sun exposure and again, the gold color is flush throughout. I choose to consider these a variation in stock (like Topps UV or vanilla bean vs. cardboard) when I’ve added them to my collection or sold them.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Seriously. 10 plates of the same player from the same set? Just wow. Really curious who that COMC seller is and what other deals they have to offer!

I absolutely deserved to spoil myself with these, just finished up a 70 hour work week, with at least 5 more to come!

Seller is Cardmn5150, who has one of the best Larry Walker collections I've ever seen up for sale. Mine is damn good, and even better with those 10 plates, but this guy is selling lots of low #'ed stuff I have never seen before. Those plates ended up being just over $20 a piece with their COMC sale, which I think is fantastic for 90's plates of a great player.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Two new 90s Darryl Kile parallels in today. Nothing mind blowing, but I'm glad to knock them off of the list!

1998 Stadium Club One of a Kind.jpg
1998 Stadium Club One of a Kind

1999 Ultra Platinum Medallion.jpg
1999 Ultra Platinum Medallion

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
yep i be a lot are thrown away, i have 98 and 99 dont remember off the top of my head which one was numberd/150

The first day issues were the worst! Regular card with a little bit of gold foil on them. Tough to spot if you aren't looking for them. At least the One Of A Kind had a foily card stock, making it stand out a little.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Just my two cents on this.

I think there are two explanations for these and the EX cards from 1998-1999. One type is very clear to me that it is the result of smoke. These usually are shades lighter in yellowing and have area that are deeper in hue than others, ie the edges. Sometimes I’ve found them with clear rectangles indicating that they were in sleeves with price tags but exposed to sun.

The other situation seems to be that fleer/skybox used two different types of plastic for these. One of which turns a solid gold/vibrant yellow color over time, regardless of sun exposure. These are very different from the tinted ones when examined in person. These have no difference in color on the photos and other non acetate areas of the card that would be the result of sun exposure and again, the gold color is flush throughout. I choose to consider these a variation in stock (like Topps UV or vanilla bean vs. cardboard) when I’ve added them to my collection or sold them.
Could have sworn a couple tried the sun trick I left a common in the window a few years back for almost a year and it didn't change if it was smoke that colored it wouldn't be even color and would have a smell to it. I think it could have been some type of test and if it was not you would have seen a lot more than one or 2 of each player. I will get a common next time I go to my storage unit and leave it in the car to try again and see of its a difference. I think sun would deform it either making it rounded or wavy I didn't see that on mine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
The sun isn't the issue really, it's the harmful potential of UV light from any source; incandescent or halogen display lights produce the same UV waves the sun produces. That said, many plastics deteriorate independently over time, some are less likely, and some react or react more readily with a catalyst like acidic PVC byproducts or sunlight.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
The 99 EX gold acetate mystery has not been solved but it seems that anyone who still supports the "sun turns the card a beautiful and completely even gold coloration" without providing new evidence, has, ahem, been out in the sun too long!

I posted this in here in 2016, but since the images are likely lost to Photobucket...

Here is a regular 99 EX Manny Ramirez:
degt7Rn.jpg

Here is that card after being left out in the sun for 6 straight weeks, enough to almost entirely degrade the blue sharpie:
ei8BrDa.jpg

Here is a gold one:
z7D99Oe.jpg

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
There was a green set listed but then taken down....?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I think we're getting too hung up on the "sun." Some plastics turn yellow in the sun, some don't. Some turn yellow with other catalysts. Some don't. Some are structurally unstable and turn yellow on their own; that's likely the case with cards like the Ultra Diamond Producers as well as many '99 eX examples. Plastics aren't perfect, one of the most finicky materials to manufacture with; not all cards produced are likely to have the exact chemical composition. However, the sheer fact that eX-es have been found with yellowing everywhere but where the overlaying sticker price tag blocked UV light suggests at least some of these cards are affected by the sun. This debate really baffles me; these "gold" cards are atrocious. The printed logos are even yellow. No quality department would ever produce something like that, proof or otherwise.

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
1998 epix baseball Cards Cards marked with a "C" were scheduled for insertion into packs of 1998 Pinnacle Certified, but were never released

Play

E7 Frank Thomas C

E8 Derek Jeter C

E9 Tony Gwynn C

E10 Albert Belle C

E11 Scott Rolen C

Game

E13 Alex Rodriguez C

E14 Cal Ripken, Jr. C

E15 Chipper Jones C

E16 Roger Clemens C

E17 Mo Vaughn C