Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stressreelief

Dec 2, 2011
Joey , You are right !

John the problem is you are quoting Jeter who has a strong registry presence. Nobody else has the same presence as he does. 90% of Griffey stuff from the 90s commands no premium in a PSA 10 or BGS 9.5. Always outliers but even recently a 97 Platinum Stars /30 griffey PSA 10 for the same price my raw sold for. Many of his pop 1 dufex inserts for instance would sell around $150-$200 regardless of rarity of it raw.

Joey , You are right about Jeter being the dominant guy at this moment in time . It can be surprising though when just a couple collectors get involved . Collectors will pay up for Griffey and i am a little surprised there isn't a larger premium for rare cards that PSA 10 or Beckett 9.5 . I have found that Ripken and Chipper collectors don't generally push the card prices to the moon , but on the other side you have guys like Will Clark and Omar Vizquel where i have seen prices for certain cards even surpass Jeter . Maybe 10 years from now you will get the same scenario with some of these guys . A lot of the children that these guys have had an influence on through camps and baseball leagues are now becoming doctors , lawyers etc. and may create that same fervor for the registry that you have seen with other players and even set builders for that matter . Time will tell , but I am always going to be an advocate for grading the more expensive or rare items in your collection . I do think it is crazy to grade the recent base common as supply and demand is easily controlled . Besides a showcase full of PSA 10 Jeters , Ripkens and Griffeys looks awesome at the National ! Later , John

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
...And the bids of one of the two 15k+ feedback bidders have been canceled across the board (the other had some bids canceled as well). Look at some of these prices now.

Looks like some other bidders have retracted their bids as a result of these bidders' bids being canceled.

Can we chalk this up to PWCC listening to the shilling complaints?

Welcome back to the game, everyone

Last edited:

hairyharold

Mar 20, 2014
...And the bids of one of the two 15k+ feedback bidders have been canceled across the board (the other had some bids canceled as well). Look at some of these prices now.

Looks like some other bidders have retracted their bids as a result of these bidders' bids being canceled.

this nonsense is exactly why im done with this hobby

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
John the problem is you are quoting Jeter who has a strong registry presence. Nobody else has the same presence as he does. 90% of Griffey stuff from the 90s commands no premium in a PSA 10 or BGS 9.5. Always outliers but even recently a 97 Platinum Stars /30 griffey PSA 10 for the same price my raw sold for. Many of his pop 1 dufex inserts for instance would sell around $150-$200 regardless of rarity of it raw.

That makes no sense that you would get the card cheaper if shilled or not shilled at a later date. The cards are already out of even high end personal collector. Such as gwynn. $243. That is a top dollar for
Most gwynn collectors. If I was interested in this card which I am but I’d pay $300 and would be a way overpayment. So your point holds no water and kills the hobby wether or not shilled.

Your point on graded is SPOT ON though. I had 20 joe Montana rookies and sold them over the years for 60-140 and most were most certainly 8 or better which brings ungodly money. I hate graded cards and won’t buy them or will take them out of holders. But if you are in it to win it the grading is the way to go but most of the collectors in this forum want ungraded cards and like the Griffey guy said a select few guys demand that graded premium on 90’s card. Griffey is actually one of them but the big Griffey hitters will pay 2,000 for the same Griffey graded or not.

So in closing if you are in it to make money graded can’t hurt at all because high end crazy money is thrown that way.

But if I did bid $300 on the test gwynn. I would want it ungraded.

Good talk

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
Looks like another set of 1997 Stand and Deliver Red Letters Set has been Found

It appears at this point we might have sand baggers holding out for a pay day WHEN NEEDED! Like mortgage behind etc. they may have wanted to save for Kids but seeing so many now surface makes me seriously wonder. Because all the personal collectors such as myself won’t take 20x’s over book for our cards but if our house was in foreclosure we may or must. I have got a letter written on how to sell my collection (not complete as it should be), but this 90’s forum is really the best perspective on the hobby of die hard collectors.

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011

Wow. Spot on

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I agree but I can’t quit. Like 1/1’s that are $80 cards go for $500 because people I believe maxing their credit cards out I mean why else do some guys come and go so quickly.

The value for a 1/1 is what the market will bear. I don't understand how you're coming up with a valuation of $80 for $500 cards. If it sold for that then it sold for that. It's a sample set of 1.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am curious, not trying to call you out specifically or anything, but since you made the comment do you truly feel that these mirror black cards are breathtaking, or in effect better looking than the other colors offered? I am asking this because I personally don't think they look that good at all. I think similar mirrored or refractor cards with red, purple, blue, green or gold look much nicer. In fact, black is the worst color for this effect in my opinion.

Now I say this never having seen one in person, but I think the scans do represent it for the most part.

I am guilty of this myself, but I think we as a majority tend to see scarce things as more beautiful, interesting, creative or whatever when we don't see them as often. If the same item were available in mass quantity, would you feel the same way about it from a purely aesthetic approach? Think about it for a moment, some of the "best looking" cards are those hardly seen, but are they really that attractive to begin with?

Seeing what I've seen of your collection on here if cry for you if you sold that, mirror blacks are breathtaking! Cornerstone of collections

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
It's a combo of these things, you're definitely right in that because they are seen less that sometimes I/we get caught up in that. What I do like about them though is that blue and red are fairly prominent in the refractor prism where black isn't. So even though the effect might not be as brilliant I like how it set of offsets.

Sent from my XT1585 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think a lot of the more scare sets are very nice looking and I can't decide for sure if I would think differently if they were massively available, but 1990 Score McDonalds, 1980 Topps/Pepsi, 1968 Topps 3D are three that come to mind right away. I just love the way they look, but the 1980 Pitch, Hit and Run sets for example (which are dime a billion) or other Kelloggs 3D sets (except maybe 78) don't do the same for me, even though they are some of the same poses!

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
Great call on the 1990 Score McDonalds. Love this card:
2aecc06240193989c3dda1ecded9a77d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online

Latest posts