Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

St. Louis Cardinals Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Anyone going to Winter Warmup?

I honestly don't know how anyone can justify going to the WWU and dropping all that cash on autos and such. It just doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of spending all that money just to be rushed through a line as quick as possible and be disappointed in the end?

The Cardinals Caravan is a much more personal and entertaining time for me. I wish the one on Carbondale wasn't Friday, but Saturday. I would have loved to go meet Wacha today. I seen a lot of great pictures.

I met Yadi for free at the 2006 Caravan in Marion. Got his auto on the sweet spot of a baseball, and my picture with him. At the WWU that would cost several hundred dollars. No thanks.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I honestly don't know how anyone can justify going to the WWU and dropping all that cash on autos and such. It just doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of spending all that money just to be rushed through a line as quick as possible and be disappointed in the end?

The Cardinals Caravan is a much more personal and entertaining time for me. I wish the one on Carbondale wasn't Friday, but Saturday. I would have loved to go meet Wacha today. I seen a lot of great pictures.

I met Yadi for free at the 2006 Caravan in Marion. Got his auto on the sweet spot of a baseball, and my picture with him. At the WWU that would cost several hundred dollars. No thanks.

Yeah, the cost turns me off too.$40 just to attend is steep.Though I did see some of the retired players are cheap or free.I wish the caravan made it's way up to my state.From what I saw it looks like only kids can get autographs at the caravan now though unless I misread the schedule.A little odd they travel to other neighboring states, but not mine.Oh well.

You should post up the picture of Molina sometime.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Yeah, the cost turns me off too.$40 just to attend is steep.Though I did see some of the retired players are cheap or free.I wish the caravan made it's way up to my state.From what I saw it looks like only kids can get autographs at the caravan now though unless I misread the schedule.A little odd they travel to other neighboring states, but not mine.Oh well.

166771_10152671860655082_1057254306_n.jpg

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA

Each spot used to kind of have it's own rules for autos on the Caravan. When StL had a Single A team in Davenport, the Caravan went there every year and they let anyone get autos. Kids always went first but there was always plenty of time so they let everyone else go through the line. Definitely miss them being there. Closest place is Hannibal now. I stopped by that one a few years back on the way home from StL, but they did the "only kids" auto thing so I left. I can understand wanting to get the kids in front of these players first and foremost, but they are also discouraging the largest majority of their fan base: adults who have money to spend. I've always had to pay for Caravan tickets (don't know how it works elsewhere). If I'm a family of 4 with two adults, a teenager and a child, dropping $100+ so one kid can get one autograph is steep. I guess they think all the adults are going to go sell any autos they get, when the majority of players out on these things wouldn't sell for more than a ball costs. Oh well.

I almost went to WWU one year (would have been 2008...man that's crazy to think about on a personal level....sorry....). I didn't have autograph tickets but was going to be in town anyways and had a room booked at the hotel it was in that year. I woke up around 5am the first morning as the last group of auto tickets were going to go on sale and was greeted to a line full of people who had been sleeping on the floor all night to stay in line. I then decided it was going to be a nightmare to get anything done and went home. I love the Cardinals but at this point in life see zero appeal in dealing with massive lines/crowds. That said I hope it continues to be a hugely successful event since it raises money for charity!

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Each spot used to kind of have it's own rules for autos on the Caravan. When StL had a Single A team in Davenport, the Caravan went there every year and they let anyone get autos. Kids always went first but there was always plenty of time so they let everyone else go through the line. Definitely miss them being there. Closest place is Hannibal now. I stopped by that one a few years back on the way home from StL, but they did the "only kids" auto thing so I left. I can understand wanting to get the kids in front of these players first and foremost, but they are also discouraging the largest majority of their fan base: adults who have money to spend. I've always had to pay for Caravan tickets (don't know how it works elsewhere). If I'm a family of 4 with two adults, a teenager and a child, dropping $100+ so one kid can get one autograph is steep. I guess they think all the adults are going to go sell any autos they get, when the majority of players out on these things wouldn't sell for more than a ball costs. Oh well.

I almost went to WWU one year (would have been 2008...man that's crazy to think about on a personal level....sorry....). I didn't have autograph tickets but was going to be in town anyways and had a room booked at the hotel it was in that year. I woke up around 5am the first morning as the last group of auto tickets were going to go on sale and was greeted to a line full of people who had been sleeping on the floor all night to stay in line. I then decided it was going to be a nightmare to get anything done and went home. I love the Cardinals but at this point in life see zero appeal in dealing with massive lines/crowds. That said I hope it continues to be a hugely successful event since it raises money for charity!

I really have no desire for in person autographs. They're worthless to me.

I would much rather have a picture of myself with the person instead of an autograph.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

When I came to this state I was surprised/disappointed the minor league team left Davenport.Would have thought the Cardinals would want to maintain more of a presence.Isn't Peoria or wherever they went Scrubs territory?I am much more inclined to go to a game in Davenport than Peoria.

I agree, adults are the ones putting money into the Cardinals pockets, not kids.Something else that is annoying that some of the caravan stops require a ticket or isn't open to the public.Years ago I thought about asking family to go to the caravan, but the "kids only" part is such a turn off I didn't bother.Like you say, don't get why adults and kids can't get an autograph together.

Yeah, the crowd/lines/cost make it unlikely I will ever go to Winter Warmup.The Descalso fan on here said the same thing last year.Crazy to think all those people would sleep on the floor for a ticket.My friend is a Royals fan, years ago we went to their Fan Fest and he got tired of the lines in a hurry.At least it didn't cost anything for any autographs though.Their caravan is more adult friendly as well.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Sounds about right. I feel like I've looked at some of his items before and been shocked by the prices. Never understood the mentality of blatantly overpricing a card 2 - 3x it's real value to then sit on it for years.

Maybe he is related to griffeyfan24?

Members online

Latest posts