Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

David Ortiz and Prince Fielder picking HR derby teammates...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Interesting concept this year. I wonder if they have to be off of the AS roster...

If they don't, here is who I think they should pick:

AL:

David Ortiz
Jose Bautista
Nelson Cruz
Mark Reynolds

NL:

Prince Fielder
Mike Stanton
Matt Kemp
Jay Bruce

Mark Reynolds? Seriously? Yes, it has nothing to do with the fact that he plays for Baltimore. It has everything to do with the fact he can hit it a long way. And you know he would swing out of his shoes every pitch (he may even be the first contestant to swing and miss a pitch!) Same exact reason I chose Mike Stanton. Let's get new blood in there. The HR derby is all about dropping bombs and the farther they go, the more the fans get excited about it. All of these guys are up there on the leaderboard in HR.

Who do you think Ortiz/Prince should pick?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
The players do not have to be on the All Star roster to be picked. Could make for a fun event.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
We can assume they would pick the best for the show, not guys they can easily beat, as that's a bitch move. So I suggest they go one step further and have Papi pick the NL and Prince pick the AL.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Dumb idea IMO...

It was dumb in The NHL AS game and it's dumb here. Just another case of a marketing guy trying to prove his position is necessary by "tweaking" things, but not improving them.

But it's not as dumb as having WS Homefield advantage be determined by the AS game winner...

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
stevezimmer22 said:
Justin Upton has been picked and accepted and is my favorite to win it all in his home ballpark.

Where did you see this? I was just going to toss his name in this discussion when I read your post. I'm very happy because I know he's a beast in batting practice (also when he hits HR during games) and because I'm rooting for the most righties on this event as I will be on the left field bleachers during the Derby :D

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
The Big Donkey and his .178 avg should be in this. He still can hit batting practice balls a LONG WAY ...

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Didn't even think of Upton ::facepalm:: Makes perfect sense. Glad he accepted.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
stevezimmer22 said:
Justin Upton has been picked and accepted and is my favorite to win it all in his home ballpark.

[quote="r2r2]"Where did you see this? I was just going to toss his name in this discussion when I read your post. I'm very happy because I know he's a beast in batting practice (also when he hits HR during games) and because I'm rooting for the most righties on this event as I will be on the left field bleachers during the Derby :D[/quote]

Looks like I need hooked on phonics for reading comprehension.

From J-up's twitter
realjustinupton Justin Upton
YES , if I am invited to participate in the Home Run Derby I will definitely do it. Would be a dream come true in front of the AZ fans.

Saw it real quick in passing while at work on twitter and completely mis-read it. Hopefully this news comes out in the next coming days, but I think the fact that its his home park and he has a ton of power and WANTS to be in it, I think Prince needs to give him a call.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Would it be neat for you DBack fans to see Mark Reynolds in it as well as Upton?

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
55_marlins_sp said:
The Big Donkey and his .178 avg should be in this. He still can hit batting practice balls a LONG WAY ...

Totally agree. If you want to see somebody hit the ball a fuggin' mile, pick Adam Dunn. It may even get him back on track with a bit of confidence if he does well. But he would be swung out by the second round.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Vagrant said:
55_marlins_sp said:

Totally agree. If you want to see somebody hit the ball a fuggin' mile, pick Adam Dunn. It may even get him back on track with a bit of confidence if he does well. But he would be swung out by the second round.

I really hope Ortiz picks Dunn. I have said it for years, he could put on quite the show in this event and I would love to see it!

G

Ortiz should pick Aroid, Teixiera, and Cano; completely screw up their swings

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Kinda sounds like Upton doesnt want to do it now.

David Ortiz
Jose Bautista
Adrian Gonzalez
Robinson Cano

Prince Fielder
Rickie Weeks
and sounds like he wants Ryan Braun too... but I think he is injured.
Not sure on his 4th- Justin Upton?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:

David Ortiz
Jose Bautista
Adrian Gonzalez
Robinson Cano

Prince Fielder
Rickie Weeks

I know people won't agree but, with only 4 people on each team, I think there shouldn't be more than one player from each MLB team.

Why not just make it the Brewers vs the Red Sox HR derby?

G

markakis8 said:
P_Manning 18 said:

David Ortiz
Jose Bautista
Adrian Gonzalez
Robinson Cano

Prince Fielder
Rickie Weeks

I know people won't agree but, with only 4 people on each team, I think there shouldn't be more than one player from each MLB team.

Why not just make it the Brewers vs the Red Sox HR derby?
Why not just start with the first top four slugging percentage or home run leaders; and just keep going down the lists until four players accept, that way you have the best sluggers of the season in the contest

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
Willy Mo Pena

This guy has hit some monster shots this year. He hit a home run yesterday against the Brewers that was just an incredible shot. In batting practice he destroys the baseball.

Members online

Latest posts