Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

...and then there were 10 T206 Addition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
As the curator of one of the world’s worst T206 collections, I am proud to announce number 514. I am now down to ten cards to complete “The Monster”. (…a feat which I do not see happening barring a lottery win!)

96TyCobbRedPortrait.jpg

514 of 524 98.09% complete

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
That is amazing, I don't care what they look like.
Congrats on getting 1 step closer.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
when talking about The Monster, there is no such thing as the "worst" T206 collection - they're all beautiful. Congrats on #514!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I regret not grabbing more in the 90s when I first started getting a few Dodgers. I on and off, half-heartedly am trying to build the entire Brooklyn team set, but have not looked for any new cards in quite some time. I probably have 12-15 or so. I have a handful of non-Dodgers as well. I like the set, probably more the fact that they are so damn old, but I have a hard time with excessive damage and many of the cards I might want to afford have serious flaws. I want complete cards, free from any serious paper loss (front & back), creases, holes, etc. Congrats on what is a very nice collection regardless of condition.

bauce

Nov 12, 2017
I regret not grabbing more in the 90s when I first started getting a few Dodgers. I on and off, half-heartedly am trying to build the entire Brooklyn team set, but have not looked for any new cards in quite some time. I probably have 12-15 or so. I have a handful of non-Dodgers as well. I like the set, probably more the fact that they are so damn old, but I have a hard time with excessive damage and many of the cards I might want to afford have serious flaws. I want complete cards, free from any serious paper loss (front & back), creases, holes, etc. Congrats on what is a very nice collection regardless of condition.

The back shouldn't matter for a personal collection, especially for cards that are 100 years old or so as collecting at those times is nowhere near as gung-ho today. They did not have top-loaders, lucite bricks, or authentication services back then. They most likely used cigar boxes as the main use of storage for these cardboard pieces. Some may have been lucky to be placed between book pages for protection. Don't think of them as "flaws" - think of it as characteristics of surviving a time where there was little protection from the elements....

Do these imperfections bother you so much that you are willing to ignore what is most important?

Xdhv2Bn.jpg

Attachments

• uehlSrp.jpg
    uehlSrp.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 7

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Those you show are much less severe paper loss than I have seen on a lot of T-206 cards. I still prefer a complete front and back. I may have a couple with some paper loss and I won't toss them back. I might even buy more with some minor paper loss.

I accepted a 1956 Topps Clemente into my collection with a small amount of paper loss on the border, that basically is camouflaged by the border. It still bugs me somewhat when I look at it, but I didn't want to shell out bigger bucks for a slightly better one. There are always exceptions.

bauce

Nov 12, 2017
A lot of times the paper loss is in the back since many were glued to pages of an album - thus somewhat taken care of by being laid flat. Just as long as the paper loss doesn't detract from the front is OK with me.

Members online