Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Moral Dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aeast317

Mar 5, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Look, I'm not going to comment on your beliefs, or belittle them, but Evolution is a very widely accepted and very upheld scientific truth. It isn't like it is a card celebrating Satan which would certainly attack your beliefs. (This is a card I would also boycott, to be fair)

Should you also boycot all companies that do not have a God card, thus implying that he doesn't exist?

I'm not trying to start a debate or argument here I am just saying that you base your argument on opinion or what you believe to be true, while the card is based on something proven. It is certainly your choice to omit the card from your set, or to stay away from the set completely, but I don't see any reason why the card shouldn't exist.

markcorrigan

Dec 17, 2010
rebelpawn said:
I'm a Christian too and I didn't have any problem with the cards. Sure I don't believe in evolution (and people might think I'm crazy for that but oh well), but lots of people do and that's fine. I don't think you're a hypocrite or a bad Christian for buying these cards. Just enjoy the hobby and have fun with it!

I agree!

hiroler

Oct 26, 2010
Charles Darwin is burried in the Abbey. Please keep an open mind. Close mindedness creates wars.

:grouphug:

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I actually had the same thoughts as the OP, but then I realized - they are just cards.

I am considering going after the set because the artwork is simply beautiful. It's nice seeing a full-color Allen and Ginter card.

bballjunky24

Dec 8, 2008
This is the great thing about living in America. Every day your beliefs can be challenged by anyone in any way.

The thought that the A&G set would be offensive to believers of any religion didn't even cross my mind. You are more than allowed to come on these boards and voice your discomfort with the set and others have the right to disagree with you.

Simply Amazing IMO.

Religious debate has no place on a sports card message board so I must stop there.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
morgoth said:
Theory of Evolution
[quote:36jtifys][bringing in religion and sensitive beliefs

The theory of evolution is not a religous belief but a scientific theory. In fact it is not a belief at all but just a theory based on facts that have been studied and verified over the years.

If you want to debate the topic or science its fine but to me it seems Topps is just putting something on a card that has been out in many other forms and is not hard to find or avoid if you wanted too.

Just also to be clear Evolution is a scientific theory and creationism is a a philosophy and not based on science.[/quote:36jtifys]

This.

I actually considered this issue when I pulled one of these cards today. Not really any different than if they put in cards of the planets or the period table.

Fact of the matter is, anyone can find something in every card set that they'll find unappealing or "offensive", unless they remember it's a piece of cardboard with a picture on it. If your faith is shaken by a little piece of cardboard then maybe you didn't really believe what you thought you believed.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
i refuse to buy Patrick Ewing cards for the very same reason

Hahahahaha.

I simply don't believe in having a religion. Not saying it's right, not saying it's wrong, just believe religion causes more harm than good.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I'm a Christian...

But I'm also not an idiot. There are things that hard core literal christian that can't possibly be true. Evolution (as a very generic term) is a well founded theory and parts of it might be the how, and God might be the why.

just sayin

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
This is the problem with beliefs. They always cause conflict.

I am jewish, but I do not follow strongly in my religion at all. Yes I got a bar mitvah but i don't study the bible and go to temple or anything like that. I think religions are just ridiculous because they cause conflicts in everything. People can believe in whatever they want to believe in. Thats the freedom that this countries morals are based on. If you don't like what someone believes, don't talk to them. In this case, if you don't like Topps' morals, don't buy the product. But its not a problem. Because can believe and express their beliefs however they want.

There's no right and wrong here. People on this site can believe what they want. , i'll believe what I want, and topps will believe what they want. Thats what makes the world go round. God Bless America and the whole world! :grouphug:

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'm baffled. I think you guys are actually saying that Ewing and the Williams are further evolutions of humans and in no way understand the awful connotations that your words actually hold.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
To the OP---stick to what you think is right. They are your beliefs and you are entitled to have them. The Ewing comment is just flat out Racist.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
aeast317 said:
Look, I'm not going to comment on your beliefs, or belittle them, but Evolution is a very widely accepted and very upheld scientific theory.

Had to fix that part for you. It is not a truth, it is only a theory (one that I believe is false for tons of reasons, including my faith). If it were a truth, it would not be called a theory at all. There is a huge difference.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
tommyfro21 said:
aeast317 said:
Look, I'm not going to comment on your beliefs, or belittle them, but Evolution is a very widely accepted and very upheld scientific theory.

Had to fix that part for you. It is not a truth, it is only a theory (one that I believe is false for tons of reasons, including my faith). If it were a truth, it would not be called a theory at all. There is a huge difference.

Yes,massive difference. Like the difference between the earth being 4000 (+2000) years old and say... 4 Billion.

That's a pretty big difference.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
My opinion is if you boycott buying the product because of this, then you need to boycott Topps altogether. Either way you are giving them money.

I'm sure you buy products every day that come from companies managed by atheists. I don't really think it's a big deal. The Theory of Evolution is still part of history. I don't think Topps is trying to make a statement.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
Eef97 said:
Ok, this may sound silly to most people on here but I would like some advice from other collectors. I am a Christian and believe the Bible very strongly. I am an Allen & Ginter collector as well. This year I will more than likely buy 0% of it because of the Ascent of Man insert set showing a map of the Theory of Evolution. I find it very unnecessary to include a set like this in a product. I know schools teach it and all that, but I feel Topps has crossed the line bringing in religion and sensitive beliefs. I may be over reacting to this by some peoples standards, but it does challenge my beliefs and I find it very hard to put money in a product that supports the evolution theory. I could just not do that set but that would defeat the purpose. I would love to get other collectors perspective on this as I am torn on what to do as Allen & Ginter is like a Holiday for me and now it seems to be ruined by this set that was put into the product that challenges my very beliefs. Sorry if this is in the wrong section I didn't seem to look to see where it was being posted at.

You're literally the exact type of person that gives religious people a bad name. I'm sure your kids (if you have any) aren't allowed to watch television or go out on the weekends, either.

Seriously, who gives a ****. It's a baseball card. Get over it.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
in responce to the op.
icon_facepalm.gif
.for starting this! why are we in the middle east? why was there a 911? why why why. my God is better than your God!
icon_facepalm.gif
. Does God exist? i do not know,i hope so! for it is a God who can only save us from ourselves. are we not suppose to have free will? believe in yourself! wake up! if you would like to debate religion lets go! now you will have to excuse me,i have to remove another rib to make another wife!
icon_facepalm.gif

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
thegreathambino said:
This is the problem with beliefs. They always cause conflict.

I am jewish, but I do not follow strongly in my religion at all. Yes I got a bar mitvah but i don't study the bible and go to temple or anything like that. I think religions are just ridiculous because they cause conflicts in everything. People can believe in whatever they want to believe in. Thats the freedom that this countries morals are based on. If you don't like what someone believes, don't talk to them. In this case, if you don't like Topps' morals, don't buy the product. But its not a problem. Because can believe and express their beliefs however they want.

There's no right and wrong here. People on this site can believe what they want. , i'll believe what I want, and topps will believe what they want. Thats what makes the world go round. God Bless America and the whole world! :grouphug:

Yeah, good post.

I'm a believer in the sense that I believe your religion should not dictate your morals, but your morals shall dictate your religion.

Members online