Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strasburg Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
I assume ticket sales. ?

ballerskrip said:
Pine Tar said:
I think he should just wait until Spring of 2012. Nothing good can come from this. If I was the Nationals, I would
not take any chances with him this season at all. Do they honestly think they are making the playoffs and risking
damaging him for ever of it as being the right thing to do right now. ::facepalm::

I agree 1000%. What is the rush?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
jwc9p said:
PujolsCollector said:
Pine Tar said:
I think he should just wait until Spring of 2012. Nothing good can come from this. If I was the Nationals, I would
not take any chances with him this season at all. Do they honestly think they are making the playoffs and risking
damaging him for ever of it as being the right thing to do right now. ::facepalm::
EXACTLY. They are not going to make the playoffs and their investment is going to be a flop if he throws and re aggrivates his arm.
I see your point and understand your argument because I've made the same argument before about him and others but, whats the difference between him throwing in games in Florida (against inferior opponents) and him throwing in DC? I understand he's probably not throwing as many pitches but he's still going to be throwing a good amount down there. If he's going to re-/tear something in his arm its going to happen no matter where he is.

You do realize there is a MASSIVE difference between pitching in a simulated game and in a big league stadium? HUGE, ENORMOUS, difference. The adrenaline is pumping, blood is flowing, pressure is on, and all of sudden he is now throwing at 100% maximum effort. To even compare them is silly.

It is a risk that the Nationals should not take. There is no hurry, and to rush him is stupid.

skrip

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
PujolsCollector said:
jwc9p said:
PujolsCollector said:
Pine Tar said:
EXACTLY. They are not going to make the playoffs and their investment is going to be a flop if he throws and re aggrivates his arm.
I see your point and understand your argument because I've made the same argument before about him and others but, whats the difference between him throwing in games in Florida (against inferior opponents) and him throwing in DC? I understand he's probably not throwing as many pitches but he's still going to be throwing a good amount down there. If he's going to re-/tear something in his arm its going to happen no matter where he is.
But there he can get away with throwing at 65-70% of him normal pitching speeds. That lets the muscles and stuff tear and stregthen back to where they was, because thats how muscle and stuff is built right?
That's what rehab is for. He's already been throwing at 65-70%.

jwc9p

Aug 25, 2010
Columbia, sC
PujolsCollector said:
jwc9p said:
PujolsCollector said:
Pine Tar said:
But there he can get away with throwing at 65-70% of him normal pitching speeds. That lets the muscles and stuff tear and stregthen back to where they was, because thats how muscle and stuff is built right?
I (personally) don't think so. Wear and tear happens no matter if you're throwing 15% or 100%. Yes, you are more likely to tear something giving it your all but like I said, it it's going to happen, then it's going to happen.
If he's at 95 while throwing at 65-70% then he'll be in DC next week.

jwc9p

Aug 25, 2010
Columbia, sC
ballerskrip said:
You do realize there is a MASSIVE difference between pitching in a simulated game and in a big league stadium? HUGE, ENORMOUS, difference. The adrenaline is pumping, blood is flowing, pressure is on, and all of sudden he is now throwing at 100% maximum effort. To even compare them is silly.

It is a risk that the Nationals should not take. There is no hurry, and to rush him is stupid.

skrip

I do realize it which is why I said I understand the argument. My only point is, an overhand pitch is an un-natural movement that bodies aren't supposed to do. So, if he's 100% and given the ok by the doctor, I see no reason to keep him in FL and away from DC.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Stephen Strasburg (elbow) threw a 51-pitch simulated game on Tuesday morning in Florida.

None of the Gulf Coast League players that Strasburg faced in the simulated game were able to hit the ball out of the infield. The 23-year-old right-hander continues to make strides in his ongoing recovery from Tommy John surgery and could rejoin the Nationals' starting rotation at some point in early September. He is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment next week.

Aug 2, 11:05 AMSource: Mark Zuckerman on Twitter

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Jaypers said:
Stephen Strasburg (elbow) threw a 51-pitch simulated game on Tuesday morning in Florida.

None of the Gulf Coast League players that Strasburg faced in the simulated game were able to hit the ball out of the infield. The 23-year-old right-hander continues to make strides in his ongoing recovery from Tommy John surgery and could rejoin the Nationals' starting rotation at some point in early September. He is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment next week.

Aug 2, 11:05 AMSource: Mark Zuckerman on Twitter

Awesome. I bet all the people who have been buying low are salivating at his return and hopeful return to form.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
I don't think they are rushing him, the Nats are just trying to get him in some game action and to help shake off some rust for next year. Also, the Nationals stated that Jordan Zimmermann has 4 starts left so my assumption is Strasburg takes his place for the rest of the year. ,

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Nationals manager Davey Johnson said Wednesday that Strasburg will throw an inning or two for Class A Hagerstown on Sunday

With that said anyone planning on listing anything to end then?

G

Huffamaniac said:
Nationals manager Davey Johnson said Wednesday that Strasburg will throw an inning or two for Class A Hagerstown on Sunday

With that said anyone planning on listing anything to end then?

Why yes, I do :p

Members online