Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

It came from the 90s: a 14-year project is finally done!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
A long labor of love (or madness) has finally come full circle. Since I returned to collecting in the early 90s, my primary collecting focus has always been Dodger team sets (and yeah, that Butler dude). I started out trying to complete Topps and Bowman sets from '48 on up, but when Fleer (among others) introduced their premium full-bleed cards, I had to have those as well. It was simple enough to complete the base Ultra sets, and then the Gold Medallions that were introduced in '94. As player collectors from the 90s know, Ultra upped the ante in '97 with the introduction of the Platinum Medallion parallels. I've been chasing those damn things ever since. Wayne Kirby and Todd Worrell eluded me for 14 years, and then all of a sudden Kirby showed up on eBay - $3.25, and I would have gladly paid whatever it took. First time he's popped up that I know of (high series). I'm pretty stoked - it had been a long stinkin' time since I hit the ol' PM list. The next week I decided to take more than a cursory look at COMC, and I'll be darned if Worrell wasn't sitting there for $2.95. Didn't even bother haggling - purchase NOW!

blah, blah, blah - stop talking already. Here they are:

edit: the non-uniform scans were driving me crazy. Fixed... +1 for OCD

astaciobase.jpg
astaciogold.jpg
astacioplatinum.jpg

butlerbase.jpg
butlergold.jpg
butlerplatinum.jpg

cedenobase.jpg
cedenogold.jpg
cedenoplatinum.jpg

dreifortbase.jpg
dreifortgold.jpg
dreifortplatinum.jpg

gagnebase.jpg
gagnegold.jpg
gagneplatinum.jpg

garciabase.jpg
garciagold.jpg
garciaplatinum.jpg

guerrerobase.jpg
guerrerogold.jpg
guerreroplatinum.jpg

hollandsworthbase.jpg
hollandsworthgold.jpg
hollandsworthplatinum.jpg

karrosbase.jpg
karrosgold.jpg
karrosplatinum.jpg

kirbybase.jpg
kirbygold.jpg
kirbyplatinum.jpg

martinezbase.jpg
martinezgold.jpg
martinezplatinum.jpg

mondesibase.jpg
mondesigold.jpg
mondesiplatinum.jpg

nomobase.jpg
nomogold.jpg
nomoplatinum.jpg

parkbase.jpg
parkgold.jpg
parkiplatinum.jpg

piazzabase.jpg
piazzagold.jpg
piazzaplatinum.jpg

valdesbase.jpg
valdesgold.jpg
valdesplatinum.jpg

worrellbase.jpg
worrellgold.jpg
worrellplatinum.jpg

zeilebase.jpg
zeilegold.jpg
zeileplatinum.jpg

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I'd be more happy for you if Wayne Kirby didn't suck as a 1st base coach and Worrell's son didn't suck, both for the Orioles ;)

J/k, of course. Kirby is not that bad and Worrell...well he actually does suck.

Congrats on completing the set and way to be persistent!

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
thanks for the nice comments, everyone. That's the problem with some of those '97 inserts - the common guys take forever to show up because nobody bothers to list a guy that didn't have a memorable MLB career. Markakis is exactly right, Worrell did pretty much suck, at least in LA.

So, who's got a 2000 Platinum Medallion of Todd Hollandsworth or Jeff Shaw sitting around in a dupes box? How about a 2001 Todd Hundley?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
That's a hell of a feat right there. I don't see too many of my players floating around out there, and when I do they're usually too expensive for me to justify buying them. Wish I was incredibly rich, I'd buy as much 97 and 98 Ultra as I could, every single unopened box available, just to try and find some of these Platinums. I can only imagine how many are still sitting in packs all these years later!

Members online

Latest posts