Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1989 Donruss */INC. variations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
There are apparently 4 distinct variations on 1989 Donruss, involving the * on the League Leader message, and the . at the end onf INC in Leaf INC:

*Denotes League Leader*, LEAF INC.
*Denotes League Leader*, LEAF INC
**Denotes League Leader**, LEAF INC.
**Denotes League Leader**, LEAF INC

I have tons of the **/INC. version, and some of both of the * variations, but I have never found any of the **/INC versions. Do they actually exist, and are they supposed to be harder to find? Any idea where they could have been found originally?

EDIT: Stumbled upon a Schilling **/INC on COMC, but it's still the only one I've seen.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
Funny you started this thread. I came across my 1989 Donruss set that I built by hand when I was 12. I discovered it while I was preparing to move. I had the MVP insert set and the Grandslammers set with it.

I had remembered people talked about different variation of cards all throughout that set, including inserts.

Would you or anyone else on here happen to have more information about this set's variations? Also, is there any major difference in value for the cards you mentioned? I hadn't heard of this variation yet.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I assume you're talking about *denotes* and not **denotes. If it's the latter, then I've got even more variations to chase!
donruss89DoubleAsteriskINCnodot_B217.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
TNP777 said:
I assume you're talking about *denotes* and not **denotes. If it's the latter, then I've got even more variations to chase!
donruss89DoubleAsteriskINCnodot_B217.jpg

Dammit, I messed that up! Yeah, you have it right, either *Denotes or *Denotes*. However, I have heard rumors of additional variations, such as glossy vs non glossy strips on the front black borders, and different colors on the top edges. If either one of those is true then every player collector's job just got way harder.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
DeliciousBacon said:
Dammit, I messed that up! Yeah, you have it right, either *Denotes or *Denotes*. However, I have heard rumors of additional variations, such as glossy vs non glossy strips on the front black borders, and different colors on the top edges. If either one of those is true then every player collector's job just got way harder.

The top edge variations are only on the Grand Slammer cards.

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
Bringing back this old topic. There are three factors in the variations.

- Number of asterisks
- The period after INC
- The gap between the stat box, and the bottom text (pictured below, small gap on left, large gap on right)

33830837031_b97261c782_z.jpg

So, in theory, I believe there are eight possible variations:

* INC Small
* INC Large
* INC. Small
* INC. Large
** INC Small
** INC Large
** INC. Small
** INC. Large

However, I cannot find any evidence in my cards, in others' checklists, or after looking through a bunch of cards on COMC, that the following two combinations actually exist:

* INC. Large
** INC Large

Can anyone confirm that they do exist?

That leaves these six confirmed variations:

* INC Small
* INC Large
* INC. Small
** INC Small
** INC. Small
** INC. Large

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'll see what I can find in my extra Clarks. That's quite the number of possible variations now.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Last edited:

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
Well crap. Now I need to sort through my extra 89 Donruss cards tonight. The stuff you guys find...

:)

I take no credit or blame for this one! (The only thing I take credit for is 1996 Topps Profiles variations research, you can search and find the thread). They're just variations that others have found and I try to round up the Puckett cards.

Sometimes I find it more interesting to sort through and dig for old weird stuff in 10 cent cards than to buy the new stuff that comes out.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
No prob...just finished looking through the duplicates box. I came up with the same 6 permutations that you did, and did not find any examples of the 2 that you couldn't find.

I liked that 96 Profiles post by the way. I went and bought loads of them until I finally happened on the one with the different finish.

I take no credit or blame for this one! (The only thing I take credit for is 1996 Topps Profiles variations research, you can search and find the thread). They're just variations that others have found and I try to round up the Puckett cards.

Sometimes I find it more interesting to sort through and dig for old weird stuff in 10 cent cards than to buy the new stuff that comes out.

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
Puckett has two cards in 1989 Donruss, finally found the sixth variation of the second card so that I have all 12 Puckett cards believed to exist.

Visual reference below of the six known variations for anyone else who stumbles across this thread and has a similar affliction.

26622936979_39c9097e90_c.jpg

Original file (higher res, should be able to zoom in on it and see details better): https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4551/26622936979_0706acb876_o.jpg

Members online