Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Starlin Castro - your NL HIT LEADER!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Hallsgator said:
He will be playing 2B sooner than later. Then his bat will lose some value. Still a good hitter though.

I would say there is a zero percent chance of this. He has top 5 range in baseball, you don't move those type of athletes to 2b.

skrip

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
How you could see that he isn't a future franchise player is beyond me, he is the Cubs franchise RIGHT NOW at 21. Power is usually the last thing to come and he really is still developing, but the exciting part is how great of a hitter he is in such a short amount of time in the league and with ZERO plate discipline. He cane get contact on nearly everything and doesn't strike out much. The errors will go down, as will the strikeouts, and I really see the walks and home runs going up that just comes with experience. Starlin's home runs this year have come on hanging breaking balls up in the zone that he has put a level swing on, but in the future I think you will see the fast balls that he is driving in the gap carrying out more for home runs. He has a ton of hits and a ton of extra base hits, I think its silly to say that a guy that 21 and is THIS great of a hitter wont develop power. He will thrive more on mistakes in the future leading to more home runs. I think he finishes the year with 7 home runs. Outside of the whole makeup thing I really liken him to a young Derek Jeter, who was a great hitter coming up at a VERY young age. Jeter eventually hit 20+ home runs three times in his career, is every bit of a franchise player and is headed straight to the hall of fame. Not saying Starlin will have Jeter's career because there is no way you can predict longevity and the unique ability to stay healthy and consistent, but their individual tools are similar.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
The only thing real special is his age... Castro has the most ABs in all of baseball, so he better have the most hits.....
Guys who get the ABs and dont walk better get 200+ hits a year (ie Pete Rose)

21 walks in nearly 500 times to the plate is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Vlad comparison is right on! Learn the strike zone, raise you OB% and Batting average at same time...

Yount had a similar BAD fielding % before his 22nd B-Day (.939-.964), and had over 550 hits before he turned 22 as well, and hit less than 10 HRs a year for his first 6 seasons. So anything can happen, but Castros 7 HRs in his first 1000 time to the plate show it AINT going to be 20+ HRs a season.

Yount is a Hall of Famer...... Castro is a kid who needs to walk more and play his position cleanly

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Good to see Castro doing good. I have a very small PC of him so it's fun to root for him. I think he's got all the potential in the world, keep the hits coming.

Like others have said, he'll get better at defense as he gets older. He's got the range and the arm, just needs to get consistent which I think he will

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts