Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Jacobs: 1st North American athlete to test positive...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
HGH is most effective when combined with anabolic steroids. On its own HGH isnt all that beneficial for athletes. Pitchers benefit greatly from it due to its healing ability.

nyyankeesfan.13722

Aug 7, 2008
jumbojohnny said:
HPC said:
HGH is used for regrowth and repair.

Without adding steroids to the cocktail, HGH alone could easily increase stamina and, if used right, help repair the body of injuries faster than normal methods.

It will not help a person swing a bat better or hit for better average but it will give certain advantages over people not using it.

Watch out...somebody might inform you that by giving his dog a bone that you might approve of cheating in baseball. Or that crackheads would be better at sports if they smoked more crack. (There is a lot of sarcasm in this statement)
So if a person who just went through an organ donation takes HGH, they're not guaranteed to hit .280?

Wes

OG
Administrator
Hallsgator said:
HPC said:
Hallsgator said:
HGH doesn't help performance. It does help them look better though. Maybe Jacobs just wanted to look younger.

Are you joking?

HGH does help performance in many ways.

Does it help him swing a bat better? No. But overall performance? Absolutely

The ability of growth hormone to enhance performance has not been documented.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2574291

[quote:jbb5pgba]According to Engber['s article], Human Growth Hormone (HGH or GH) has little to no performance enhancing-benefits. … I have the benefit of working down the hall from several exercise physiologists. I forwarded [his] article to my colleague, John McLester. … “Oh yeah, I agree with [Engber]. This isn’t even controversial in exercise physiology. … There is no evidence of [benefit from bigger muscles]. It seems that the muscle that is developed is abnormal and not mature. I’ll point you to some studies (see below). …

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2010/02/l ... drugs.html

That doesn't mean very much for athletes: A chiseled physique won't help you hit a baseball or throw a punch. So far, no one has been able to connect the increase in lean body tissue caused by HGH with enhancement of athletic performance. Unlike steroids, growth hormone hasn't been shown to increase weight-lifting ability; in the lab, it has a greater effect on muscle definition than muscle strength. And it doesn't seem to help much with cardiovascular fitness, either.

http://www.slate.com/id/2162473/nav/tap1/

There is no evidence that HGH alone is a performance enhancer. Does it help people heal quicker from surgeries and injuries, yea, but it doesn't increase performance alone.

Now if you take it with other steroids and supplements, it can lead to more strength, but pretty much HGH just reduces fat to look better.[/quote:jbb5pgba]

Healing increases performance and production in my book. Not taking a stance one way or another on the HGH angle but to say that it doesn't enhance your performance yet it helps you heal is disingenuous.

saferseas

Mar 9, 2010
Portland, OR
It's interesting to think about whether or not HGH will be allowed in the game at some point. Right now, players can receive platelet-rich plasma injections, which essentially do the same thing: help you're injuries to heal faster. Why is that legal? Thin line between "cheating" and medical science.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
jumbojohnny said:
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:
jumbojohnny said:
RL24 said:
jumbojohnny said:
I was under the impression that HGH helps all around. More power, better hand eye coordination, faster relex times, quicker healing. To me that all should be a help to any person, especially athletes. The tatlent doesnt get a boost, but some key factors improve in a range from moderate --> drastic depending on the body.

That explains why Mary J Blige takes it. I didn't think it was to add power to her swing...

I was refering to athletes, as the topic is originally about an athlete. I worked for a guy a number of years ago that received a pair of new lungs and during his recovery doctors gave him HGH to coax his body into accepting the new organs. He is still alive and kicking. He plays on his company softball team, so obviously it helped him with his healing. He still sucks though, so it didnt help him with his batting skills, or throwing for that matter- he still plays "ball like a GIRL!!!"
I'm sure there are plenty of leukemia patients who have been prescribed steroids and yet are still awful at baseball. Therefore steroids don't help at all and should be legal. Also drug addicts take amphetamines and they suck at baseball so it can't help. If I gave a cat a baseball he would scratch on it but he would be pretty bad at baseball so doctoring baseballs doesn't help either. Steroids, amphetamines, and doctoring baseballs should all be allowed in baseball by your argument.

Where and how do I make a stand in favor for any cheating to be allowed in baseball? You should re-read my posts and see that I simply expressed my opinion about how HGH can enhance the human body.

1- You should look up the difference between HGH and steriods - They arent the same thing. Also there are numerous types of steriods that all have different uses. I have had to take steroids for an infection from an allergic reaction...They werent anabolics.

2-Who the hell is talking about doctored baseballs or amphetamines?

3- How is giving a cat a baseball "Doctoring" the ball?

4- Make more sense when attempting to post your insignificantly relavent statements. You sound like a tool.

Your story about the guy with lung replacements was just as insignificant as the statement nyyankeesfan.13722 made above. His point was that your story was so ridiculous and unrelated that all of the things he mentioned could also be proof that PED's don't help. Sad that someone had to explain this to you.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:
jumbojohnny said:
HPC said:

Without adding steroids to the cocktail, HGH alone could easily increase stamina and, if used right, help repair the body of injuries faster than normal methods.

It will not help a person swing a bat better or hit for better average but it will give certain advantages over people not using it.

Watch out...somebody might inform you that by giving his dog a bone that you might approve of cheating in baseball. Or that crackheads would be better at sports if they smoked more crack. (There is a lot of sarcasm in this statement)
So if a person who just went through an organ donation takes HGH, they're not guaranteed to hit .280?

You sound like a ginormous idiot right now.

Why not just step away from the thread and find some other thread to post your asinine thoughts in?

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
elmalo said:
HGH is most effective when combined with anabolic steroids. On its own HGH isnt all that beneficial for athletes. Pitchers benefit greatly from it due to its healing ability.

there we go! I was starting to get worried there for a moment, I couldn't believe there was a steroid thread without elmalo, but there you are!

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
You guys are funny :)

If you want to clean up baseball and bring it back down to pre1980 power levels

...ban Weight Lifting and Home Gyms, they are the #1 Reason why we see more HRs and bigger more physical players now compared the heavy daily latenight drinking chain smoking players of the 1940s, 50s, 60s, 70s.

PS. Jim Thome lifted weights... Im sure of it, He should be Banned from the Hall of Fame for making his body unnaturally stronger... an unfair advantage when compared to those farmer tan chainsmoking lushes like DiMaggio, Musial, Ruth, etc.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
cmnkb8 said:
RL24 said:
cmnkb8 said:
It helped him in '08. HGH doesn't make you hit for a better avg, only power.

You seem to know very little about HGH, although you speak as if you are an expert in the field. Pretty strange.

Oh really? I thought I was simply stating what seemed to be the obvious. So why don't you share your expertise on the subject with us?

Nah, just read the thread and see what everybody else is saying...

Wes said:
Healing increases performance and production in my book. Not taking a stance one way or another on the HGH angle but to say that it doesn't enhance your performance yet it helps you heal is disingenuous.

Especially when you are talking about 164 game season.

That's why Mary J Blige takes HGH, to help her vocal cords recover after concerts...

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
fkw said:

...ban Weight Lifting and Home Gyms, they are the #1 Reason why we see more HRs and bigger more physical players now compared the heavy daily latenight drinking chain smoking players of the 1940s, 50s, 60s, 70s.

PS. Jim Thome lifted weights... Im sure of it, He should be Banned from the Hall of Fame for making his body unnaturally stronger... an unfair advantage when compared to those farmer tan chainsmoking lushes like DiMaggio, Musial, Ruth, etc.
Babe Ruth had a personal trainer, and weightlifting was a big part of his routine. Infact he opened a chain of gyms with that trainer.
Musial also was big into physical fitnss.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Anthony K. said:
[quote="nyyankeesfan.13722":1n07ju8s]
jumbojohnny said:
HPC said:

Why not just step away from the thread and find some other thread to post your asinine thoughts in?[/quote:1n07ju8s]
Your right. It would be much better if he went into every thread and pointed out how stupid people. That is so more constructive.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
elmalo said:
fkw said:

Babe Ruth had a personal trainer, and weightlifting was a big part of his routine. Infact he opened a chain of gyms with that trainer.
Musial also was big into physical fitnss.

You lie! Ruth did it on beer and hot dogs!~

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
elmalo said:
Anthony K. said:
[quote="nyyankeesfan.13722":pv75s23u]
jumbojohnny said:
HPC said:

Why not just step away from the thread and find some other thread to post your asinine thoughts in?
Your right. It would be much better if he went into every thread and pointed out how stupid people. That is so more constructive.[/quote:pv75s23u]

Indeed it is.

Shouldn't you be starting a thread about some Latin or Italian player who's underrated? I hear Alex Liddi and Carlos Ruiz are two solid ballplayers to devote an entire thread to.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Anthony K. said:
elmalo said:
[quote="Anthony K.":1bca0sgu][quote="nyyankeesfan.13722":1bca0sgu]
jumbojohnny said:
HPC said:

Your right. It would be much better if he went into every thread and pointed out how stupid people. That is so more constructive.[/quote:1bca0sgu]

Indeed it is.

Shouldn't you be starting a thread about some Latin or Italian player who's underrated? I hear Alex Liddi and Carlos Ruiz are two solid ballplayers to devote an entire thread to.[/quote:1bca0sgu]
Yeah well hy, if it makes you feel better about yourself. If it fills whatever void is in your life than go for it.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
elmalo said:
Anthony K. said:
elmalo said:
[quote="Anthony K.":275cddfn][quote="nyyankeesfan.13722":275cddfn]
jumbojohnny said:
HPC said:

Your right. It would be much better if he went into every thread and pointed out how stupid people. That is so more constructive.

Indeed it is.

Shouldn't you be starting a thread about some Latin or Italian player who's underrated? I hear Alex Liddi and Carlos Ruiz are two solid ballplayers to devote an entire thread to.[/quote:275cddfn]
Yeah well hy, if it makes you feel better about yourself. If it fills whatever void is in your life than go for it.[/quote:275cddfn]

Thanks for the concern, but there is no void and I have no need to feel better about myself.

I just enjoy being myself towards idiots, which is generally being a dick and an ******* because idiots need to be put in their places. Someone with an absurd obsession with only Italian and Latin players and the over rating of said average to below average players makes you an idiot.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Anthony K. said:
elmalo said:
[quote="Anthony K.":xppyeko7]
elmalo said:
[quote="Anthony K.":xppyeko7][quote="nyyankeesfan.13722":xppyeko7]
jumbojohnny said:
HPC said:

Indeed it is.

Shouldn't you be starting a thread about some Latin or Italian player who's underrated? I hear Alex Liddi and Carlos Ruiz are two solid ballplayers to devote an entire thread to.[/quote:xppyeko7]
Yeah well hy, if it makes you feel better about yourself. If it fills whatever void is in your life than go for it.[/quote:xppyeko7]

Thanks for the concern, but there is no void and I have no need to feel better about myself.

I just enjoy being myself towards idiots, which is generally being a dick and an ******* because idiots need to be put in their places. Someone with an absurd obsession with only Italian and Latin players and the over rating of said average to below average players makes you an idiot.[/quote:xppyeko7]
Ok bro, if you say so. Pretty funny that you are the one who brings up italians and latinos whenever I say something about them Maybe you are the one who is obsessed.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
elmalo said:
Anthony K. said:
elmalo said:
[quote="Anthony K.":1sf4249k]
elmalo said:
[quote="Anthony K.":1sf4249k][quote="nyyankeesfan.13722":1sf4249k]
jumbojohnny said:
[quote="HPC":1sf4249k]HGH is used for regrowth and repair.

Indeed it is.

Shouldn't you be starting a thread about some Latin or Italian player who's underrated? I hear Alex Liddi and Carlos Ruiz are two solid ballplayers to devote an entire thread to.[/quote:1sf4249k]
Yeah well hy, if it makes you feel better about yourself. If it fills whatever void is in your life than go for it.[/quote:1sf4249k]

I just enjoy being myself towards idiots, which is generally being a dick and an ******* because idiots need to be put in their places. Someone with an absurd obsession with only Italian and Latin players and the over rating of said average to below average players makes you an idiot.[/quote:1sf4249k]
Ok bro, if you say so. Pretty funny that you are the one who brings up italians and latinos whenever I say something about them Maybe you are the one who is obsessed.[/quote:1sf4249k]

I'd be the one obsessed with it if most of the threads I start were about Italians or latinos.....like yours are.

Still waiting for you to post another thread in spanish or italian so 90% of the board can't read it.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
Anthony K. said:
elmalo said:
[quote="Anthony K.":jgb13ra8]
elmalo said:
[quote="Anthony K.":jgb13ra8][quote="nyyankeesfan.13722":jgb13ra8]
jumbojohnny said:
HPC said:

Indeed it is.

Shouldn't you be starting a thread about some Latin or Italian player who's underrated? I hear Alex Liddi and Carlos Ruiz are two solid ballplayers to devote an entire thread to.[/quote:jgb13ra8]
Yeah well hy, if it makes you feel better about yourself. If it fills whatever void is in your life than go for it.[/quote:jgb13ra8]

I just enjoy being myself towards idiots, which is generally being a dick and an ******* because idiots need to be put in their places. Someone with an absurd obsession with only Italian and Latin players and the over rating of said average to below average players makes you an idiot.[/quote:jgb13ra8]

OH SNAP!!

Members online

Latest posts