Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Jacobs: 1st North American athlete to test positive...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
According to Ken Davidoff of New York Newsday, Jacobs is believed to be the first North American athlete to test positive for HGH.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hallsgator said:
HGH doesn't help performance. It does help them look better though. Maybe Jacobs just wanted to look younger.

Are you joking?

HGH does help performance in many ways.

Does it help him swing a bat better? No. But overall performance? Absolutely

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I was under the impression that HGH helps all around. More power, better hand eye coordination, faster relex times, quicker healing. To me that all should be a help to any person, especially athletes. The tatlent doesnt get a boost, but some key factors improve in a range from moderate --> drastic depending on the body.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
jumbojohnny said:
I was under the impression that HGH helps all around. More power, better hand eye coordination, faster relex times, quicker healing. To me that all should be a help to any person, especially athletes. The tatlent doesnt get a boost, but some key factors improve in a range from moderate --> drastic depending on the body.

That explains why Mary J Blige takes it. I didn't think it was to add power to her swing...

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
RL24 said:
That explains why Mary J Blige takes it. I didn't think it was to add power to her swing...

No it was so she can work out more and hgh helps her muscles recover faster, which I can assure you if she swung a bat now it would be more powerful than when she started.

So, great point?

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
RL24 said:
jumbojohnny said:

I was refering to athletes, as the topic is originally about an athlete. I worked for a guy a number of years ago that received a pair of new lungs and during his recovery doctors gave him HGH to coax his body into accepting the new organs. He is still alive and kicking. He plays on his company softball team, so obviously it helped him with his healing. He still sucks though, so it didnt help him with his batting skills, or throwing for that matter- he still plays "ball like a GIRL!!!"

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
HPC said:
Hallsgator said:
HGH doesn't help performance. It does help them look better though. Maybe Jacobs just wanted to look younger.

Are you joking?

HGH does help performance in many ways.

Does it help him swing a bat better? No. But overall performance? Absolutely

The ability of growth hormone to enhance performance has not been documented.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2574291

According to Engber['s article], Human Growth Hormone (HGH or GH) has little to no performance enhancing-benefits. … I have the benefit of working down the hall from several exercise physiologists. I forwarded [his] article to my colleague, John McLester. … “Oh yeah, I agree with [Engber]. This isn’t even controversial in exercise physiology. … There is no evidence of [benefit from bigger muscles]. It seems that the muscle that is developed is abnormal and not mature. I’ll point you to some studies (see below). …

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2010/02/l ... drugs.html

That doesn't mean very much for athletes: A chiseled physique won't help you hit a baseball or throw a punch. So far, no one has been able to connect the increase in lean body tissue caused by HGH with enhancement of athletic performance. Unlike steroids, growth hormone hasn't been shown to increase weight-lifting ability; in the lab, it has a greater effect on muscle definition than muscle strength. And it doesn't seem to help much with cardiovascular fitness, either.

http://www.slate.com/id/2162473/nav/tap1/

There is no evidence that HGH alone is a performance enhancer. Does it help people heal quicker from surgeries and injuries, yea, but it doesn't increase performance alone.

Now if you take it with other steroids and supplements, it can lead to more strength, but pretty much HGH just reduces fat to look better.

nyyankeesfan.13722

Aug 7, 2008
jumbojohnny said:
RL24 said:
jumbojohnny said:

I was refering to athletes, as the topic is originally about an athlete. I worked for a guy a number of years ago that received a pair of new lungs and during his recovery doctors gave him HGH to coax his body into accepting the new organs. He is still alive and kicking. He plays on his company softball team, so obviously it helped him with his healing. He still sucks though, so it didnt help him with his batting skills, or throwing for that matter- he still plays "ball like a GIRL!!!"
I'm sure there are plenty of leukemia patients who have been prescribed steroids and yet are still awful at baseball. Therefore steroids don't help at all and should be legal. Also drug addicts take amphetamines and they suck at baseball so it can't help. If I gave a cat a baseball he would scratch on it but he would be pretty bad at baseball so doctoring baseballs doesn't help either. Steroids, amphetamines, and doctoring baseballs should all be allowed in baseball by your argument.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:
jumbojohnny said:
RL24 said:
jumbojohnny said:

I'm sure there are plenty of leukemia patients who have been prescribed steroids and yet are still awful at baseball. Therefore steroids don't help at all and should be legal. Also drug addicts take amphetamines and they suck at baseball so it can't help. If I gave a cat a baseball he would scratch on it but he would be pretty bad at baseball so doctoring baseballs doesn't help either. Steroids, amphetamines, and doctoring baseballs should all be allowed in baseball by your argument.

Where and how do I make a stand in favor for any cheating to be allowed in baseball? You should re-read my posts and see that I simply expressed my opinion about how HGH can enhance the human body.

1- You should look up the difference between HGH and steriods - They arent the same thing. Also there are numerous types of steriods that all have different uses. I have had to take steroids for an infection from an allergic reaction...They werent anabolics.

2-Who the hell is talking about doctored baseballs or amphetamines?

3- How is giving a cat a baseball "Doctoring" the ball?

4- Make more sense when attempting to post your insignificantly relavent statements. You sound like a tool.

nyyankeesfan.13722

Aug 7, 2008
jumbojohnny said:
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:
jumbojohnny said:
RL24 said:
jumbojohnny said:

Where and how do I make a stand in favor for any cheating to be allowed in baseball? You should re-read my posts and see that I simply expressed my opinion about how HGH can enhance the human body.

1- You should look up the difference between HGH and steriods - They arent the same thing. Also there are numerous types of steriods that all have different uses. I have had to take steroids for an infection from an allergic reaction...They werent anabolics.

4- Make more sense when attempting to post your insignificantly relavent statements. You sound like a tool.
Just the argument that a coworker used HGH and still was awful at baseball therefore HGH doesn't help a baseball player.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:
jumbojohnny said:
[quote="nyyankeesfan.13722":2wvlgzdr]
jumbojohnny said:
RL24 said:
jumbojohnny said:

Just the argument that a coworker used HGH and still was awful at baseball therefore HGH doesn't help a baseball player.[/quote:2wvlgzdr]

And that statement was made as in relation to how HGH helps to improve the healing qualities of the human body. You have still yet to point out where I said anything about my approval for cheating to be allowed...Or any of the other stupid remarks you made about drug addicts and cats.

nyyankeesfan.13722

Aug 7, 2008
jumbojohnny said:
nyyankeesfan.13722 said:
jumbojohnny said:
[quote="nyyankeesfan.13722":eek:70rq7nt]
jumbojohnny said:
RL24 said:
[quote="jumbojohnny":eek:70rq7nt]I was under the impression that HGH helps all around. More power, better hand eye coordination, faster relex times, quicker healing. To me that all should be a help to any person, especially athletes. The tatlent doesnt get a boost, but some key factors improve in a range from moderate --> drastic depending on the body.

Just the argument that a coworker used HGH and still was awful at baseball therefore HGH doesn't help a baseball player.[/quote:eek:70rq7nt]

And that statement was made as in relation to how HGH helps to improve the healing qualities of the human body. You have still yet to point out where I said anything about my approval for cheating to be allowed...Or any of the other stupid remarks you made about drug addicts and cats.[/quote:eek:70rq7nt]
I'm just trying to point out how asinine it is to bring up that HGH didn't help a coworker get any better at baseball. Of course he didn't.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
HGH is used for regrowth and repair.

Without adding steroids to the cocktail, HGH alone could easily increase stamina and, if used right, help repair the body of injuries faster than normal methods.

It will not help a person swing a bat better or hit for better average but it will give certain advantages over people not using it.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
HGH is used for regrowth and repair.

Without adding steroids to the cocktail, HGH alone could easily increase stamina and, if used right, help repair the body of injuries faster than normal methods.

It will not help a person swing a bat better or hit for better average but it will give certain advantages over people not using it.

Watch out...somebody might inform you that by giving his dog a bone that you might approve of cheating in baseball. Or that crackheads would be better at sports if they smoked more crack. (There is a lot of sarcasm in this statement)

Members online

Latest posts