Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

interesting offer today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Lancemountain said:
aminors said:
It is a hobby. There just comes a point where you must be objective about things. Think about it.. If you bought a sofa and had it a year or so, long enough to appreciate it, and then someone offered you ten times what you paid, would you turn them down?

If you want to chat about sofas, you can talk to my wife. The sofas we have I'd give them to you for free as they are ugly and uncomfortable. They are "cute" and as I understand things....they "tie the room together"

No chance dozing off on one of these things, that's probably her grand design. Just figured that out typing that :idea: Good call, aminors

Anyway, yeah. A sofa isn't a hobby. Cards are. I guess it's all the attitude going into buying each card. Do I want it because I love it or do I want it because I think I will make money on it? To each their own and we all spend our time and money our own way, but I understand where bouwob and the clark guy are coming from.

Even if I bought something with the intentions of keeping it for my entire life, I'd still sell it if someone offered me 10x.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
aminors said:
Lancemountain said:
aminors said:
It is a hobby. There just comes a point where you must be objective about things. Think about it.. If you bought a sofa and had it a year or so, long enough to appreciate it, and then someone offered you ten times what you paid, would you turn them down?

If you want to chat about sofas, you can talk to my wife. The sofas we have I'd give them to you for free as they are ugly and uncomfortable. They are "cute" and as I understand things....they "tie the room together"

No chance dozing off on one of these things, that's probably her grand design. Just figured that out typing that :idea: Good call, aminors

Anyway, yeah. A sofa isn't a hobby. Cards are. I guess it's all the attitude going into buying each card. Do I want it because I love it or do I want it because I think I will make money on it? To each their own and we all spend our time and money our own way, but I understand where bouwob and the clark guy are coming from.

Even if I bought something with the intentions of keeping it for my entire life, I'd still sell it if someone offered me 10x.

Fair enough, that is how you view your hobby. We all are in this thing for different reasons and our thresholds for selling differ.

As bouwob said he'd never get that Venezuela card back. So money being money, and I literally know nothing about the guy, I assume bouwob would rather just make more money for himself than sell something he cherishes.

I think that right there, at it's core, is a hobby.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
aminors said:
clarkfan said:
I got offered 5K for my Crusade Will Clark prototype set, yielding profit of about 4500 if I remember right. He wasn't even in the ballpark of what I'd accept, so I can understand what you mean. The cards mean more to me than the money does and I'd constantly regret if I ever sold them. Glad there are at least a few collector's as passionate about their collection as I am.

That's really cool that cards mean more to you than anything. I appreciate your passion for collecting, but I have to disagree completely on this one.

If someone offered me 10x what I paid for something, I'd sell every single bit of it and laugh my way to the bank.

That's what makes the hobby fun to me. Everyone can collect for different reasons, some for pure investment, some for pure passion, none of us are wrong either, and I've been a player on all sides. My motivation for collecting Will Clark when I was 10 years old was NEVER about money, what it was worth, what I could sell it for, anything like that. Hasn't changed today, at 33. I have plenty of cards where "money talks" just not my Clark collection, pretty much anything else though. It doesn't really surprise me that so few would agree with me and the original poster, since the hobby is and always will be driven by money. I've been offered way more than I paid on a bunch of my Clark cards. He's not my investment in the future, I have real investments for that.

I own a business, so I'm all for making the dollar, it's crucial to me everyday, but there are just a few things in my collection where money doesn't apply (and a sofa definitely isn't one of them) My sofa is pretty ugly and if someone was crazy enough to give me more than I paid, I'd help them haul it away.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
miguelcabrera said:
crazy...i thought i was the only collector on this website.....i have turned down few hundred dollar profits on a bunch of cards multiple times, and i probably will again in the future

Funny, you obviously have some recollection of those instances. I wonder why.....

(I would have sold)

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I have heard numbers like 10-20x (1,000 to 2500 % profit) which at 10x would be $25,000 they would be gone in a moment. at 71% profit I am not interested. If that offer came up I would stop collecting and build my retirement fund, I would also move the other 24,000 ryan cards I had.

The fact is that it will never happen.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
For any Ryan collector that ven card is a sort of holy Grail. I totally understand your reasoning and admire your passion. This intangible value we attach to cards can transcend many things including money and that is why I keep collecting. Great job!

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
I guess it depends on where I was in life? I have sold stuff in the past to pay my mortgage or
for vacation with my family. Some stuff I will never get back but its ok.

As far as the Ryan cards go. I understand the 68 Venz but what are the other 3? Are they
just team cards or team issues? Those I would probably sell but the Venz. would be going
no where unless like you said a 100x offer showed up and coming from a former Ryan collector
that might not be so much as a fairy tail as one might think...

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass
i tip my cap this is what collecting is all aout we can always work more hours find a part time job move lower end items we can replace if needed but some things you just know if i let this go that is it

i admire your collection and your passion for the hobby

Members online

Latest posts