Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Name the player and why you loved to watch them play. pre 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Lifelongfan said:
klute14 said:
Great choices and even better stories...

Mine undoubtedly was Jim Rice. He had tremendous power, could hit for average and played the Monster well.
He had that bat flip when he knew he hit the ball well, (I emulated many times playing wiffies) and his stoic demeanor was great.
I remember writing him in a letter in 1983-1984 telling him why he was my favorite player and that the reason he hit into so many double plays was that he hit the ball so hard. :D
I also remember one of his appearances on The Baseball Bunch when he hit a ball so far that the entire episode the Chicken was still chasing the ball. Man, I wish I could find that.

I also loved watching Dave Kingman and Reggie Jackson because I loved the big guys that would swing hard and hit the ball a mile.
I enjoyed the power pitchers as well. JR Richard, Nolan Ryan, Lee Smith and later Rob Dibble.
I would copy all of them in the backyard.

Man, you just took me waaaayy back. Reading these post has brought back some great memories---my dad loves to tell me stories about Clemente and how he played the game. Saturday game of the week with Tony Kubek and Joe Garagiola----Loved it.

Kubek and Garagiola! LOVED hearing them announce!!!

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Lifelongfan said:
klute14 said:
Great choices and even better stories...

Mine undoubtedly was Jim Rice. He had tremendous power, could hit for average and played the Monster well.
He had that bat flip when he knew he hit the ball well, (I emulated many times playing wiffies) and his stoic demeanor was great.
I remember writing him in a letter in 1983-1984 telling him why he was my favorite player and that the reason he hit into so many double plays was that he hit the ball so hard. :D
I also remember one of his appearances on The Baseball Bunch when he hit a ball so far that the entire episode the Chicken was still chasing the ball. Man, I wish I could find that.

I also loved watching Dave Kingman and Reggie Jackson because I loved the big guys that would swing hard and hit the ball a mile.
I enjoyed the power pitchers as well. JR Richard, Nolan Ryan, Lee Smith and later Rob Dibble.
I would copy all of them in the backyard.

Man, you just took me waaaayy back. Reading these post has brought back some great memories---my dad loves to tell me stories about Clemente and how he played the game. Saturday game of the week with Tony Kubek and Joe Garagiola----Loved it.

Oh wow, you just took me waaayyyy back....
Those two were awesome. Kubek had the best voice.
Seriously, if I could go back and watch all of those games again, I would in a heartbeat.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
not sure if you guys know or care, but iTunes sells old games in their entirety, pitch by pitch.
for $1.99 a game, its worth it just to hear the commentaries and see old time baseball, even
if its the early 1980s :)

stu

Jan 24, 2010
Jim Sundberg and Buddy Bell. I got to meet Buddy at a sports store opening when I was a kid. He was my hero. Sundberg was just an amazing catcher.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Both are close to the '95 clause, but:

Frank Thomas and Greg Maddux

Frank was such a monster. I still remember the Big Hurt promos for 1995 Leaf baseball, with Frank working the grill. From a kid's perspective, that was one of the greatest products of all time. The Slideshow and .300 Club cards were hot; the .300 Club booked $30 at one point, and I had two!

Greg Maddux knew how to paint the corners and throw high heat.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Besides Ozzie I loved watching Mattingly and Gooden in the mid 80's. Dwight Gooden has kind of become a punch line but to anybody that saw him pitch from 84-88 he was unreal.

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
Mozzie22 said:
Besides Ozzie I loved watching Mattingly and Gooden in the mid 80's. Dwight Gooden has kind of become a punch line but to anybody that saw him pitch from 84-88 he was unreal.

I loved watching Dwight Gooden. I think that Goodens 1985 and Pedros 1999-2000 are the best pitching performances that I have seen in my lifetime. I got to see Pedro pitch live a couple of times and the atmosphere at the ballpark was electric, like no other games that I have ever been to. I bet that Goodens games 1984-1988 were exactly the same.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
ThoseBackPages said:
JackLondon said:
(Vintage, doofy pic of me, giddily holding some Dodger cards, including Garvey, ca. 1978)
sc00006b4c01.jpg

Luke, i AM you're Father!

Scan10049.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was epic. I laughed until I cried. I thanked the post. I love ya E.

My pick of course is Rickey Henderson. I always wanted him to walk because ball 4 guarantees a trip to first base. Once he was there, it was on. It just amazed me how the whole crowd knew he was going to run, the pitcher and catcher knew he was going to run... they could even do a pitch out, and still wouldn't catch him. Run Rickey Run.

Members online