Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should a Pitcher be able to win MVP?

Should a pitcher be eligible to win MVP?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
19braves77 said:
I think if you allow pitchers to win the MVP then managers should be able to win the award also. The Manager touches the field more then a starter does over a season and has the say so of how long the pitcher touches the mound also. Thats how absurd this is.....

The only thing absurd here is your post.

I can respect someone saying a pitcher shouldn't win the MVP, but it's hard to respect someone who says what you just said. So who is more valuable to there team, if this is so absurd? Granderson, Adrian Gonzalez, and Jacoby Elsbury all hit in elite lineups. They are having great years, and I could see any of the 3 winning MVP. But, I don't see anyone more valuable to their team than Verlander. It is close, but I just don't see anyone that is more valuable. What I don't get is this "he doesn't play everyday" argument. So when Granderson(for example) plays and goes 0-4, and doesn't do anything great in the field-is he really playing? If so, a pitcher could just as easily go out there and go 0-4 in a game.

Here are Verlanders stats:

IP: 215 (1st in MLB)
ERA: 2.38 (3rd in MLB)
WHIP: 0.90 (1st in MLB)
Wins: 20 (1st in MLB)
K: 218 (1st in MLB)
Opponents Average: .190 (1st in MLB)

Forget AL MVP-this guy is the MVP in all of baseball.

autocut

Of course. What comes to mind is Arizona Diamondbacks (2001). Curt Schilling/Randy Johnson hands down.
Johnson was 21-6, Schilling went 22-6. And both carried that team all the way to a championship. Their road block was Barry Bonds 73 HRs, 177 walks, .328 BA.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I don't think a pitcher should be able to win MVP as a player can't win Cy Young. I always thought the Cy Young was basically the MVP of pitchers? Winning MVP of post-season is different as no Cy Young is awarded. Player wins MVP pitcher wins Cy Young.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Hendersonfan said:
I don't think a pitcher should be able to win MVP as a player can't win Cy Young. I always thought the Cy Young was basically the MVP of pitchers? Winning MVP of post-season is different as no Cy Young is awarded. Player wins MVP pitcher wins Cy Young.

Maybe they should change it to Most Valuable Hitter then. MVH.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
The argument that a pitcher shouldn't win an MVP award b/c a hitter can't win the Cy Young award is stupid as well.

NHL has an award for goalies and goalies can win the Hart.

Cy Young award was created because of the lack of recognition pitchers would get on phenomenal seasons due to the fact they do not win the MVP that often.

It doesn't automatically mean they should be exempt from MVP contention.

Most Valuable PLAYER - not fielder, not hitter. PLAYER. A pitcher is a player.

autocut

hail2thevictors said:
Hendersonfan said:

Maybe they should change it to Most Valuable Hitter then. MVH.

+1.

MVP is not just for hitters. How can a pitcher win MVP of a World Series, but not allowed in the regular season?

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, the worst arguement of all for a pitcher not winning MVP is because a hitter can't win the Cy Young.

No ****. a Hitter cant win the Hank Aaron Award either.

Once again, an instance of people associating MVP with hitters only

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
sportscardtheory said:
I agree that Verlander can and should be allowed to win the MVP Award, but I would bet that he won't.

Thank you. His chances are good, but I think unfortunately some people will be jaded by Pedro's non-MVP season and other such examples and may not vote for him for such (stupid) reasons.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If Verlander doesnt win, a Red Sock better not.

I can see the Granderson arguement because he has been their best offensive player this season, but there is no one in that Boston lineup that has been more valuable than the next.

Adrian, Jacoby, Ortiz...all in a stacked lineup

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
MVP should encompass the entirety of a player's game, not just his "triple crown stats". This is why a DH has never won MVP as they only effect one aspect of the game: hitting. You could say the same thing about a pitcher: they aren't in the field everyday and their personal defense is rarely looked upon as a positive/negative aspect of their game.

With that being said, I believe a pitcher should be able to win MVP. In a down year for hitters if a pitcher puts up gaudy or historical numbers they should at least be in the conversation.

Members online

Latest posts