Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adrian Beltre Future HOFer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
The Michael Young discussion had me thinking about Beltre. He's two years younger, has almost as many hits, and more HR, while Young has him in BA.

Beltre is 32 and here are his career stats:
.275/.328/.464

Hits = 1996
HR = 298
RBI = 1084
Runs = 973
SB = 113

Two Gold Gloves, Two All-Star appearance, and a 2nd place MVP finish. I think he needs to get to 3000 hits to get in because there is nothing special to put him over the top, but at his age I think he is a fair chance at 3000.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
He would definitely need 3,000 to get in. I assume he would have about 400 HR by that point.

He'd be almost a lock if the years he spent in Seattle mirrored the ones in Boston and the last one he had in LA.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
As of right now, not even close. But it's all about career stats and accomplishments when all is said and done. He's isn't too old and his amazing defense at 3rd will certainly help. He will need 3,000+ hits to even be considered, and it seem like he could achieve that in time if he can stay healthy. Also, he has never been a "bad guy" to my knowledge. The contract season where it seemed like he may have been juicing could hurt him though. We will see.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I don't think there's a chance in hell. He's never been considered "one of the best players in the game", which is that little magical term they like to throw around during voting. But I think his inconsistency really hurts most of all. He's really only had two really good seasons, 2004 and 2010, and a couple .800 OPS years as well. He's been a nice player, but not HOF caliber.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
3000 hits is a lock, but he might be out of the game at the age of 37. 37-39, those are the key years to remain productive if you want to get to 3000 hits. Rollins is the same age as Beltre and 150 hits behind. Texieria is a year younger but 500 hits behind. The dude has a ton of hits for his age.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
George Brett at age 32 - G 1617 PA 6950 AB 6234 R 1002 H 1967 2B 400 3B 108 HR 193 RBI 978 SB 140 CS 72 BB 615 SO 444 BA .316 OBP .375 SLG .507 OPS .882 OPS+ 143 TB 3162 WAR 70.2 Defensive WAR 57
Adrian Beltre at age 32 - G 1935 PA 7939 AB 7262 R 973 H 1996 2B 426 3B 28 HR 298 RBI 1084 SB 113 CS 40 BB 540 SO 1206 BA .275 OBP .328 SLG .464 OPS .792 OPS+ 109 TB 3372 WAR 54.4 Defensive WAR 152.9

I'm not saying Beltre is like Brett or is anywhere near as good as Brett was, but he could certainly be a "poor man's George Brett" and skate into the Hall if he gets 3,000+ hits. According to Defensive WAR, he's one of the best defensive 3rd basemen to ever play the game.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
markakis8 said:
He would definitely need 3,000 to get in. I assume he would have about 400 HR by that point.

He'd be almost a lock if the years he spent in Seattle mirrored the ones in Boston and the last one he had in LA.

Its interesting in that he'd need about 140 hits a year for the next 7 years to reach 3K hits - but that's not easy for a player past his prime...unless you're Bonds.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Beltre has always been viewed as less than the sum of his talents. Hardly any of those players ever get into the HOF, but it does go to show you how perception of a player changes how we view them. Guys like Soriano and Beltre that didn't post the numbers over the entire duration of their career that we "expected" from them really changes the landscape. For example, comparing two guys like Michael Young and Adrian Beltre and how fans feel about both of them.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
What's with all these threads asking "is so and so a future HOFer?" when the guy isnt even close to retirement?

A better thread would be "What year will Bryce Harper make the HOF?"

saferseas

Mar 9, 2010
Portland, OR
With 3000 hits and a very strong last several years of his career, there's a chance. His stellar defense would help if he combined that with 3000 hits.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
The additional respect I had for you after the Ajax dog food post was just rescinded :lol: I kid. But no way.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
HPC said:
What's with all these threads asking "is so and so a future HOFer?" when the guy isnt even close to retirement?

Some people enjoy talking career projections. Comparing a guy with zero Major League at-bats to a discussion about a guy who has been in the league for 14 seasons who's closing in on 2,000 hits at age 32 is pretty ridiculous.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
sportscardtheory said:
HPC said:

Some people enjoy talking career projections. Comparing a guy with zero Major League at-bats to a discussion about a guy who has been in the league for 14 seasons is pretty ridiculous.

You might have missed my sarcasm on the Harper part there bud...

Theres no point in asking if a guy who is possibly 5-8 years away from retirement will make the HOF and get a discussion that doesnt start with "well if he gets to 3000 hits/500 hr/300 wins/3000k"

Watch...

Adrian Beltre has been, arguably. a "good" player at best throughout his career. He had a couple contract years but his stats are nowhere near HOF worthy.

...now, finish that statement off with "well if he gets to 3000 hits maybe..."

Duh, that pretty much goes for anybody.

Beltre is not even close and will not be a Hall of Famer and if he ends up in the HOF my faith in baseball and even moreso will be completely ruined.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
HPC said:
sportscardtheory said:
HPC said:

Some people enjoy talking career projections. Comparing a guy with zero Major League at-bats to a discussion about a guy who has been in the league for 14 seasons is pretty ridiculous.

Theres no point in asking if a guy who is possibly 5-8 years away from retirement will make the HOF and get a discussion that doesnt start with "well if he gets to 3000 hits/500 hr/300 wins/3000k"

Watch...

Adrian Beltre has been, arguably. a "good" player at best throughout his career. He had a couple contract years but his stats are nowhere near HOF worthy.

Beltre is not even close and will not be a Hall of Famer and if he ends up in the HOF my faith in baseball and even moreso will be completely ruined.

Just tell us what we should be talking about then and maybe we can oblige you.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
sportscardtheory said:
HPC said:
sportscardtheory said:
HPC said:

Watch...

Just tell us what we should be talking about then and maybe we can oblige you.

I dont care what you talk about.

I said there's just no point to it.

Members online