Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Watching the Cubs game... National Anthem question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I am sitting here watching the Cubbies game, and they just got done playing the National anthem. The camera panned over the crowd and I noticed a few service members (in uniform) who did not take their hats off, who were saluting.

I am not trying to bash anyone I saw, but is that something acceptable to do, or do all people have to remove their headgear?

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I think active service service members have to keep their uniforms intact, including headgear, but I may be wrong.

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
While, I cant answer the question about the millitary, I must say that I hate when women do not take off their hats during the National Anthem.

Wes

OG
Administrator
CubsFan13 said:
While, I cant answer the question about the millitary, I must say that I hate when women do not take off their hats during the National Anthem.

Heres an article that talks about why some people do or don't:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... al-anthem/

TomMurry said:
goldenegg1 said:
I think active service service members have to keep their uniforms intact, including headgear, but I may be wrong.

Active duty keep their uniform intact and must salute.
Correct, it's actually a law!

This law is under United States penal code Title 36, Chapter 10. There is no penalty listed for failure to comply, but it’s still a law. Specifically: “During a rendition of the national anthem… (B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart…”

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
Wes said:
CubsFan13 said:

Heres an article that talks about why some people do or don't:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... al-anthem/

Interesting read. But, excludint the Kentucky Derby, how many women really wear the fancy hats anymore? Most of the women at ballgames I see are wearing baseball caps.

" According to “Miss Manners”, the reason behind the difference in rules between men and women in regards to hat etiquette is due to the fact that, traditionally, women wore hats that often would be elaborately pinned into their hair; they also may contain flowers, bows, ribbons, and other decorations that would be difficult to remove and put back in. Thus, if a woman is simply wearing a baseball cap that is easily removed and put back on, they cannot claim the “ladies exemption”."

TomMurry said:
goldenegg1 said:

Active duty keep their uniform intact and must salute.

Same for police officers....

Question came up localy at a Mets game why the officers did not...
turn around and face the flag, remove their hats, or salute.

Officers on the "detail" do not face the flag, but face the crowd looking for danger. Their hats remain squarely on their heads as the survey the crowd. They do not salute the flag while doing this. Some people got very upset about this policy but its there to keep the public safe. What better way to commit a terrorist attack, but when EVERYONES attention is on the flag (including the officers assigned to protect you).

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
In the military it's not called a hat, it's called a "cover".

The cover is part of the uniform and is always worn when outdoors. It is removed when indoors. It is not proper military etiquette to salute while not covered.

Latest posts