Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Chrome Sepia /99 set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I've never done a set, let alone a Topps Chrome set, and obviously not a Chrome parallel set.

The Topps Chrome Sepia parallel is very close to a parallel I've asked for or commented on for years.

Could some Topps set guys ballpark a price for the Sepia /99 set? How much would doing the auto variations add?

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I can't spend much right now. How hard is it to do a /99 set very slowly ofer time as opposed to snatching them up right away upon release?

I'm a straight commission salesrep and I've halted my Cardinals PC and I'm selling more of my Tulo's this weekend, but this set has caught my eye.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
It's a BITCH. You basically need to have a huge amount of cash available at release to finish off the first 75% or so. You'll overpay a ton

If you wanna wait six months for prices to die down, you run the risk of supply drying up (or sellers refusing to list .99 cent cards) and never being able to find stuff.

Pay a ton, or wait forever. Your choice. Either one is an exercise in mental insanity. I've tried it before. Pain in the ass

BluesBroSJ

Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
I can speak from experience. I am STILL working on the 2009 topps chrome blue refractor set /199 and i just took up this years blue refractor set /99 (much like your sepia set)
The first 50% of the set is the easy part. the longer you wait to pick them up, the harder they are to find. I found in 09 the sweet spot to pick stuff up was about 3 weeks to a month after release because thats right after the initial week hype dies out, but you still have sellers trying to dump what they didn't get around to listing the first time.

Being said, I have a beachy sepia auto and 3 sepia's from my 1/2 case if you want / need them, if you decide to take up the set.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If you're worried about overpaying don't do it now. However you should come up in your mind how much you're willing to pay for common cards before you start and pick those up first because they'll be harder to find later. Also star cards will cost more soon after release anyway.

If you're worried about the project taking too long, I'd suggest not starting the project. But they will all come up sooner or later and 99 copies is a lot so it won't be too bad. Although if sepia is in retail (I don't know if it is) the set will be harder to complete.

Don't know what your finances are like but its a very doable set.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've been thinking about taking up this set. That or the Atomics. They look practically identical, right?

As to price, it's hard to say. With 2 #/99 and one #/100 parallel for this set, among others, demand is bound to be split. Sepias being new and pretty attractive, they might be the one people gravitate to. Anyway, I'd aim for an average of $2.00 per base card, with stars ranging up from there to guys like Pujols being $10-15. Mantle will be another tough one, might have to go near $20-25 for him.

Anyway, a #/99 set isn't too hard to do, even one as large as this one (220, right?). You just have to have patience. You might assemble 40% of the set in the first month if you're persistent, then 2 years finding the rest. Try to pick up large lots when they show up, then trade off dupes with other collectors. There are likely others trying to build the set who might give up and sell out. Try to network on the boards and contact large case-breakers, some of them are surprisingly accommodating. Also, since the product release calendar has slowed way down, and this isn't some obscure brand with a 1-week shelf-life, there's bound to be a lot of churn in it so a steady stream of cards is bound to continue for some time. I've been thinking about building the orange refs from last year's baseball or football and they are still fairly plentiful, though the print run on them was quite a bit larger.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
After reading the responses, I'm leaning to just buying the Tulo, all Cardinals, and both Hosmer versions.

Thanks for the input guys!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Adamsince1981 said:
After reading the responses, I'm leaning to just buying the Tulo, all Cardinals, and both Hosmer versions.

THIS!

Focus Focus Focus ... SO hard for a collector to keep focused

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
Adamsince1981 said:

THIS!

Oh the irony of YOU making this comment! :lol:

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Brewer Andy said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Adamsince1981 said:

THIS!

Oh the irony of YOU making this comment! :lol:

:lol:
No shat, that is one of the best....quotes....EVER!!!

Members online

Latest posts