Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best deal on ebay ever?? Puckett First Pitch Preview for $7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I would rather a flipper buy a poorly listed or steal BIN than another Clark collector. At least with the flipper, I am going to have a fair crack at it some day down the road. I've seen tons of Clark cards sell for mere pennies on the dollar from what they would fetch on open auction and I always hope the buyer eventually puts it back on ebay for a new auction or a more realistic higher BIN price.

cheflar34

Sep 14, 2011
it was brought to my attention that this thread was posted about the 1st pitch preview that I WON...thanks for the kind words jacksoncoupage...the puckett card will probably be sold or traded outside of ebay...i am no different than clark fan, i am merely trying to flip something i already own for something i dont...for "autocut" and everyone who thinks the ryan deal was a steal...(i paid $3 for my 95 stat standout promo and $10 for my 91 score promo! and even then, trust me, the mike witt sheets would be a hard one to beat...ANYTIME soon. i have and always try and trade very fairly with any puckett fan who contacts me outside of ebay...if it does show up on ebay it will be with some puckett superstar samplers that i am also thinking of listing.

ebay id: cheflar-pa

Jan 14, 2009
cheflar34 said:
it was brought to my attention that this thread was posted about the 1st pitch preview that I WON...thanks for the kind words jacksoncoupage...the puckett card will probably be sold or traded outside of ebay...i am no different than clark fan, i am merely trying to flip something i already own for something i dont...for "autocut" and everyone who thinks the ryan deal was a steal...(i paid $3 for my 95 stat standout promo and $10 for my 91 score promo! and even then, trust me, the mike witt sheets would be a hard one to beat...ANYTIME soon. i have and always try and trade very fairly with any puckett fan who contacts me outside of ebay...if it does show up on ebay it will be with some puckett superstar samplers that i am also thinking of listing.

ebay id: cheflar-pa

Kind of off-topic, but how often do you come across the high numbered 1995 Puckett (or any other) retail predictors?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Pretty sick pick-up.

The biggest steal percentage-wise I have ever seen was a board member here who picked up a couple of Calvin and Hobbes calendars for $.99 apiece. They usually sell for over $100 per when they do show up. I spotted the deal but it ended on Saturday and I am a Sabbath observer, so I passed the deal on to another member.

cheflar34

Sep 14, 2011
hey jackson, the 1995 upper deck predictor R55 i have seen a bunch of times the gold...but i have only seen 2 silver and they both went for or close to $100! anyone have any hard to find promos, samples, etc. of puckett please let me know...also, to me the 1994 upper deck with silver back or electric diamond with gold back are near impossible to find in puckett. someone sold me one 2 weeks ago, but i got it today and it was gold-even though i asked the seller and he told me silver...how many of the 95 predictors higher numbered ones have you seen?

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Good to see you on the boards Larry. I have a couple of the high number Predictor Pucketts (gold version) and like you said everytime I see the silver version it goes very high.

cheflar34

Sep 14, 2011
i stopped collecting while in college in 1995 so this might be a dumb question, but why are the 1995 predictors R55 especially hard to find?

Jan 14, 2009
cheflar34 said:
i stopped collecting while in college in 1995 so this might be a dumb question, but why are the 1995 predictors R55 especially hard to find?

2nd'd. I'm curious to know as well.

I found a Mondesi recently for a quarter, but I can't seem to find any others in the usual places.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
jacksoncoupage said:
cheflar34 said:

I found a Mondesi recently for a quarter, but I can't seem to find any others in the usual places.

Clark has 2 Predictors in that R31 through R60, so I can definitely confirm the rarity of this particular set. Even though they book for next to nothing, I looked for the 2 Clark's for years. Finding the original redemptions wasn't easy either, but the redeemed winners are virtually impossible. Finally got mine, but it took a lot of searching. The Series 2 Predictor issue was one of my first posts/comments on FCB a couple of years ago, although noone really paid attention to it then.

Why? My guess is this: 1. Retail (less retail is opened by true collectors than hobby in most cases, so that's why we see other Retail issues difficult to find too), 2. Series 2 Retail also (redemption probably didn't last very long before expiration), 3. I think the odds of pulling the actual redemptions were tougher in the Series 2 (it's why you see very few of the actual Series 2 original redemptions either), 4. the ONLY Winner was Dante Bichette (not a major star, so I doubt very many people paid attention to him/kept him aside/thought about sending in, if they did pull the original redemption). In the other Predictor sets, there were multiple winners or redemptions that would have won you the exchanged set. I think Series 1 Retail had 6 different winners (for the same redeemed set), Series 2, just Dante.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Often overlooked, but definitely a very tough 90's set.

Edited to add some pictures:

l_735e27e926f94fe383e7e8d517f7fba5.jpg

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
tunahead said:
Hmm wish Randy Johnson was a bit more popular... wonder how much my First Pitch Preview of him would go for at auction?

I won one on auction for less than $10, but I've seen it sell for $30 as well. Any of the FPP's are going to be ok, but you run out of die hard RJ fans pretty quick.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
clarkfan said:
jacksoncoupage said:
cheflar34 said:

Clark has 2 Predictors in that R31 through R60, so I can definitely confirm the rarity of this particular set. Even though they book for next to nothing, I looked for the 2 Clark's for years. Finding the original redemptions wasn't easy either, but the redeemed winners are virtually impossible. Finally got mine, but it took a lot of searching. The Series 2 Predictor issue was one of my first posts/comments on FCB a couple of years ago, although noone really paid attention to it then.

So is the regular pack-inserted Will Clark Predictor R43 a tough card? I grabbed mine out of a dime box at some point, along with a Andres Galarraga R38. I've had no luck finding the redeemed winners, only found one copy of a Matt Williams R19. I didn't think these were hard to find, just that no one wanted to sell these cheap old things.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
DeliciousBacon said:
clarkfan said:
jacksoncoupage said:
cheflar34 said:

So is the regular pack-inserted Will Clark Predictor R43 a tough card? I grabbed mine out of a dime box at some point, along with a Andres Galarraga R38. I've had no luck finding the redeemed winners, only found one copy of a Matt Williams R19. I didn't think these were hard to find, just that no one wanted to sell these cheap old things.

R1-R30 are relatively easy finds, maybe not on ebay regularly, but on there enough to not be a huge pain to find, but R31-R60 are tough (redemptions and redeemed). The pack pulled Clark R43 Redemption is a good card and would definitely sell for more than book. $10 to $20 is my guess on it. Redeemed Winners from R31-R60 are the real tough ones, but Clark stuff always sells well, so you did great finding it for a dime.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
clarkfan said:
R1-R30 are relatively easy finds, maybe not on ebay regularly, but on there enough to not be a huge pain to find, but R31-R60 are tough (redemptions and redeemed). The pack pulled Clark R43 Redemption is a good card and would definitely sell for more than book. $10 to $20 is my guess on it. Redeemed Winners from R31-R60 are the real tough ones, but Clark stuff always sells well, so you did great finding it for a dime.

Wow, that's pretty damn good! The more I look into this, the more I see how right you are. There aren't any Redeemed Winners 31-60 on COMC or Sportlots, and barely any pack-pulled ones either. There are a lot of players I collect in that 2nd series (Olerud, 2 Walkers, 2 Palmeiros, 2 Will Clarks and a Galarraga), and I've managed to find only the pack-issued Clark R43 and Galarraga. There's a very good possibility I have more than one of those Clarks, as I tend to grab first, check lists second when it comes to the dime boxes. Glad to know I'm not gonna have to fight the Clarkmaniacs to pick that one up!

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I picked up a Piazza Redeemed Winner of COMC awhile ago and a Palmeiro original redemption for .21 cents shipped on ebay a week or so ago :) so they are out there, just not like the 1st series.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
clarkfan said:
I picked up a Piazza Redeemed Winner of COMC awhile ago and a Palmeiro original redemption for .21 cents shipped on ebay a week or so ago :) so they are out there, just not like the 1st series.

I'll give you 42¢ for that Palmeiro. Double your investment! :lol:

In all seriousness, all there any other sneaky-tough 90's Clarks that you know of? I'm close to 500 Clarks, so I can only wonder if there's anything else rare I might have tucked away in a binder, rescued from a dime box.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
A lot of the 90's parallels of Clark will surprise you when it comes to sell value. Pacific parallels numbered to less than 100 always do pretty well, tricky ones might be ones like Topps MVP Promotion (Clark has 2 different plus the redeemed winner, which is also good), 1998 Donruss Collections Preferred Prized, among others. Of course, the normal toughies (Super Rave, Crusade, Brilliants 24KT Gold, Totally Certified Gold, 1996 Mirror Gold), but even getting away from the biggies, you should be pleasantly surprised with the value of the Clark stuff. If you have any specifics, just shoot me a message sometime. I've probably got a good guess on everything. I'm sure I either know what I paid, what I got outbid at, what it sold for previously, or what it should sell for (most of the time anyway)

Members online

Latest posts