Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Long Term Investment Pieces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
I've always invested in prospects or rc autos of current stars, but I'm looking to put some sizeable amount of money into a safer, vintage type investment.

My thoughts were along the lines of a cut auto (either card or just a slabbed auto, which I feel may be cleaner) of an elite vintage player (Ruth-esque) or maybe a high end vintage RC. Just looking for one piece as of now.

Any recommendations? (Try to keep it around 2 grand if possible, but it can be a bit flexible)

Thanks
Zach

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I like some of the bigger names from 2001 SP Legendary Cuts though there may be better vintage options.

The 2005 Ruth Jumbo Jersey is an interesting card to consider.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
in as high a PSA holder you can manage:

1948 Leaf Musial
1951 Bowman Willie Mays
1954 Topps Hank Aaron

especially the first two, as they are likely to not be around a whole lot longer.

jeff152380

Feb 23, 2010
Vermont
You best long term investment is On card autos of players who have pasted away.... Cut autos will be made over and over again until they are worth a whole lot less.... but you cant make on card autos forever...

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
Fandruw25 said:
TomMurry said:
wonder if there were supposed to be some ~~~ in there...

Judging by his sig I would think it's doubtful.

No sarcasm was intended.

TBP - I was considering doing a rookie but more along the lines of Mantle, Koufax, Clemente (maybe Mays too).

Top - Ruth tott goes through phases (as you saw with yours). If I wanted gu, I'd prob take a stab at the 500 hr ruth or the triple. The 01 Sp set is nice but Ive never been a huge fan of cut autos, I feel like a nice slabbed index card with Ruth's crisp auto is >>>>> a card

Mets/Jets

Sep 11, 2011
I dont think you can go wrong with any vintage autos. Maybe look for some HOFers? Do you like postcards or cuts? They can be had at good prices. Always get them with PSA or JSA. Go for vintage autos!
jets068.jpg

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Nikobaseball said:
Fandruw25 said:
TomMurry said:

No sarcasm was intended.

TBP - I was considering doing a rookie but more along the lines of Mantle, Koufax, Clemente (maybe Mays too).

Top - Ruth tott goes through phases (as you saw with yours). If I wanted gu, I'd prob take a stab at the 500 hr ruth or the triple. The 01 Sp set is nice but Ive never been a huge fan of cut autos, I feel like a nice slabbed index card with Ruth's crisp auto is >>>>> a card

I thought Tom was referring to the Maddux RC's as possible sarcasm.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
aaron41984 said:
Nikobaseball said:
Fandruw25 said:
TomMurry said:

No sarcasm was intended.

I thought Tom was referring to the Maddux RC's as possible sarcasm.

I figured that was probably the case too, but clarified just to be sure. ;)

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
I agree with the above poster. On card autographs of retired players are the way to go. I think that some of the newer issues by Topps that have Hank Aaron, Koufax and Mays might not be a bad start. Or do some customs and then get them certified...that it what I do sometimes...figure when I get rich I will have them all PSA graded:

photo-jpg2-e1312577616829.jpeg

I think they key with investment pieces is also to get something that you don't have to worry too much about the condition. Baseballs, for example. A nice Ruth baseball would be cool as heck, but I don't know if it is worth worrying about the storage conditions all the time!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Jastermereel said:
jdk16 said:
buy a big chunk of gold.. you know this wont lose value

Tell that to the people who bought at $1900.
Yup. It all depends on when you buy. Someone who bought gold in the late 70's did not break even until the mid 00's. Over 20 years just to recoup your funds.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Jastermereel said:
jdk16 said:

Yup. It all depends on when you buy. Someone who bought gold in the late 70's did not break even until the mid 00's. Over 20 years just to recoup your funds.

I think you're thinking of Silver. Two guys tried to corner the market in the 70's and the price went into the stratosphere.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Jastermereel said:
Topnotchsy said:
Jastermereel said:
jdk16 said:

I think you're thinking of Silver. Two guys tried to corner the market in the 70's and the price went into the stratosphere.

Unless the charts I am looking at are incorrect, gold hit close to $700 in the late 70's, was as low as $280 or so in the 90's and only reached the upper $600's in the last decade.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Jastermereel said:
Topnotchsy said:
Jastermereel said:
jdk16 said:

2 guys by the name of Hunt and it was 1981 and $49 is not stratosphere.

sports-vault

Apr 6, 2011
Oyster Bay, NY
NYCrulesU said:
Sports cards as a quick flip = great idea.

Sports cards as a long term investment = losing venture.

I disagree. There's a lot to be made in pre-war cards especially Ruth, Gehrig, Matthewson, Cobb and Wagner.

Ruth Rookie Cards are the MOST undervalued cards in the hobby and I expect them to double in the next 3-5 years.

Members online