Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Long Term Investment Pieces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sports-vault

Apr 6, 2011
Oyster Bay, NY
As far as an investment piece, I would buy a 1921 American Caramel E121 in a PSA 3 HOLDER between 3000 and 3500.

I also like the 1922 E122 American Caramel Ruth where you can get a PSA 3 FOR 2500-3000.

These early 1920s Caramel Ruth are so undervalued and when the Ruth RCs double, these cards will see a huge spike. In addition, they re so much rarer than Goudeys.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
sports-vault said:
NYCrulesU said:
Sports cards as a quick flip = great idea.

Sports cards as a long term investment = losing venture.

I disagree. There's a lot to be made in pre-war cards especially Ruth, Gehrig, Matthewson, Cobb and Wagner.

Ruth Rookie Cards are the MOST undervalued cards in the hobby and I expect them to double in the next 3-5 years.

Nothing in the next 3-5 years would cause a Ruth rc to double in price that wouldn't have happened in the last 3-5 years, or 3-5 years before that.

I've been in cards for a long time 30+ years). Owned my own business for 12 of those years (online, not brick and mortar). Invested $30k into one player alone, tens of thousands into several others. Short term money can be made. No one will ever convince me that sports card are a good long term investment. Thinking they are is just plain foolishness.

Certain items (not neccessarily cards) can and will hold their value. Ruth signed ball, Gehrig signed ball etc. Items of that caliber hold their value. But to count on a steady increase in value? I wouldn't.

There are exceptions to every rule. The 1:10,000 exceptions. Like those that snatched up Pujols rc autos early at a few hundred each at sat on them. But for every Pujols there are ten thousand "Toe" Nash's.

I will gladly flip cards all day. I would never invest in them.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
NYCrulesU said:
sports-vault said:
NYCrulesU said:

I disagree. There's a lot to be made in pre-war cards especially Ruth, Gehrig, Matthewson, Cobb and Wagner.

Ruth Rookie Cards are the MOST undervalued cards in the hobby and I expect them to double in the next 3-5 years.

Nothing in the next 3-5 years would cause a Ruth rc to double in price that wouldn't have happened in the last 3-5 years, or 3-5 years before that.

I've been in cards for a long time 30+ years). Owned my own business for 12 of those years (online, not brick and mortar). Invested $30k into one player alone, tens of thousands into several others. Short term money can be made. No one will ever convince me that sports card are a good long term investment. Thinking they are is just plain foolishness.

Certain items (not neccessarily cards) can and will hold their value. Ruth signed ball, Gehrig signed ball etc. Items of that caliber hold their value. But to count on a steady increase in value? I wouldn't.

There are exceptions to every rule. The 1:10,000 exceptions. Like those that snatched up Pujols rc autos early at a few hundred each at sat on them. But for every Pujols there are ten thousand "Toe" Nash's.

I will gladly flip cards all day. I would never invest in them.

What was the name of your online store that you had for 12 years?

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Havent most of us had online stores.

Hi grade HOF rookies are a great investment. Every one of the pieces I bought in the last ten years has appreciated nicely.

Better players from the 2001 set are always very strong sells and will continue to be in demand.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
1). Please define "long term" (1 yr, 3 yr, 5yr) as specifically as possible
2). Are you talking about what will have the highest value and will continue to appreciate, or are you talking about items with a possible spike in value?
3). Are you looking to buy and hold forever, or buy and sell as soon as the market spikes, knowing that it'll almost certainly increase in value even if the spike doesn't occur? (Specifically are you looking for items you can buy and resell, or buy and hold)

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
sports-vault said:
NYCrulesU said:

What are you calling Babe Ruth's RC, there is no agreed upon card that I know of. There are minor league cards of Ruth and many non standard issues as well.

As far as the E cards you list, the main reason why they aren't worth more "TODAY" is that they are FUGLY and people love the Goudey cards, always have, always will.

Being earlier, or rarer has no effect on price if demand is 100X greater lets say for another issue.

Mantle's true, 100% without a doubt RC is 51 Bowman and it can't touch his 52 Topps in value.

For many, many, many years the 41 Playball Ted Williams outsold his 39 Playball RC in same grade.

These are all due to the attractiveness of the cards

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
Sean_C said:
1). Please define "long term" (1 yr, 3 yr, 5yr) as specifically as possible
2). Are you talking about what will have the highest value and will continue to appreciate, or are you talking about items with a possible spike in value?
3). Are you looking to buy and hold forever, or buy and sell as soon as the market spikes, knowing that it'll almost certainly increase in value even if the spike doesn't occur? (Specifically are you looking for items you can buy and resell, or buy and hold)

1 - 5yrs+
2 - Just something that will definitely hold value, and ideally appreciate. I am not looking for anything to spike. I also don't see a reason why any of the things I'm considering would spike (i.e. key hof rc, cut auto)
3 - If I could turn a huge profit I doubt I'd turn it down, but I'm not looking for that a bit. Just a nice investment to have as opposed to having cash sit around. Something I can appreciate.

Zach

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
nosterbor said:
Jastermereel said:
Topnotchsy said:
Jastermereel said:
jdk16 said:
buy a big chunk of gold.. you know this wont lose value

Tell that to the people who bought at $1900.
Yup. It all depends on when you buy. Someone who bought gold in the late 70's did not break even until the mid 00's. Over 20 years just to recoup your funds.

I think you're thinking of Silver. Two guys tried to corner the market in the 70's and the price went into the stratosphere.
2 guys by the name of Hunt and it was 1981 and $49 is not stratosphere.

I don't know what planet you're from, but going from $6 to $49 in 1979 (1979, not 1981) was the stratosphere.

Latest posts