Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Let's try this again, 90's NBA inserts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This guy is on the way, completing the quest for the complete Hot Numbers and Playmakers sets from 1995-96 Flair...21 years later!s-l1600.jpg

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
Page 3...momentum!!!!

a314cae030ee7e552a17f9c6e525cf6d.jpg

cdbcec51cd96ca80116d5febd2d1fdb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't buy much basketball anymore, unless it is an impulse buy to save shipping from a seller I already bought something from. Still trying to wrap up some sets that have been incomplete since they were new (like the Hot Numbers I finished with Shaq). Enjoy seeing some of the cards though.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Did anyone here actively collect basketball in the mid 90s? I know that some may not have started yet then, but this was a time when exchanges, main-in deals and the like were becoming quite popular. Lots of sets had special NNO cards, commemorative one card insert "sets", tributes or redemptions/exchanges that you could get with randomly inserted trade cards, through magazine subscriptions and sometimes via mail with wrappers or some money.

One that really stood out and blew my mind at the time was the Skybox Emotion Grant Hill Skymotion Dunk card. This card required you to send in $25 to get it and you may have also needed a couple wrappers to boot. I couldn't believe it when I saw the deal. I wanted it so bad, but there was no way I was going to pay $25 for a mail-in card! I refused and never got one when they were new.

They are still not an easy find today and I don't think I have ever noticed one for much less than around $50. The card itself is not all that impressive now, but at the time it was groundbreaking. I eventually added one to my collection as I wanted all of those special cards, but these types of cards got overly popular, were issued in most new sets and became too hard to keep track of after a while and I stopped collecting every single one they offered not too long after.

s-l1600.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
^^^ Yes, I collected basketball heavily from 89-01. It was tough to cut the cord on the MJ collection but I couldn't keep up. I remember that Hill, it's a nice unique card.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
I collected basketball from 1990 to about 1998. I recall the Grant redemption vaguely.

Most of my collecting centered around Jordan and Glen Rice. Sold everything and purchased my wife's engagement ring and now 20 years later I'm trying to re-acquire the Glen Rice cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

LinguaSpCards

Jan 1, 2017
Washington DC
Here is another great insert from the 1990s, this one featuring Kobe:

Brian - YouTube: Lingua Sports Cards

Attachments

• kb-front.jpg
    kb-front.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Members online