Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Met Up w/Kaleb Cowart Last Week For A Late Lunch (LONG READ)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FATBABY

Feb 19, 2009
As I have posted before, I met Kaleb back in February of this year while my Step-Son(At the time) was having dental work done. During that time I was going through alot with my ex-wife. It was after I met him and looked his cards up online that I became at ease and started going back to church. Once I seen the inscription on his cards, I looked it up and it hit me like a rock! It was what I would call "A Life Changer". So after my divorce, I went back to the dentist office to pay half of the dental bill owed and asked if they had seen him around there lately. The reply was a "no", but with HIPPA Laws, they can't tell me anything. So a lady at the dentist got me in touch with Kaleb's mother. After talking with his mom, she said she would love to give my number to Kaleb when he returned into town and if he would give me a call when he had time.

Well, he called on Monday night of last week. And he said he remembered me from the dentist office as soon as his mom mentioned it. He said he would like to meet up and we set up for last Thursday for a late lunch after his workout. Well he texted me an hour early and said he was done if I was ready to hang out and eat. I cleared everything with my boss and was able to leave a little early and drove into town to meet up.

I asked on the boards for any questions that some of his fans have for him. Basically a medium between me to him for them. Kaleb was very receptive to it before we even met up. Before I started with any of those questions, we hung out, ate and talked about pretty much everything. God, Church, Baseball etc... Basically a normal and good conversation. After about an hour or so, I asked him if he was ready for some questions! He was definitely ready and this is how the questioning went. (As promised, I told him the name and where the person was from. Below I am going to put the questions down and what his answers were to each one.

First I started off with a couple of questions of my own:

1. Who was your favorite sports figure growing up?
Kaleb: I always wanted to be like Chipper

2. Has anyone of a higher figure in sports stepped up to be a mentor for you in your career so far?Kaleb: No

3. Do you collect your own cards?
Kaleb: I have some that the card companies have given me, but I don't collect them (Side Note: He said it took him 6 hours to sign 2000 cards for one of the companies.)

4. What hobbies do you have in your off time when you aren't playing ball, practicing or working out?
Kaleb: Bow Hunting and fishing (Side Note: We talked about this one some more and he likes bow hunting more than hunting with a rifle because it is more challenging)

5. Do you keep up with any other sports during their respective season? If yes, who do you follow?
Kaleb: College football and I follow FSU (Side Note: He stated he doesn't care for Greg Reid who is also from this area too much)

6. How much does religion play into your everyday ventures and into your game?
Kaleb: It plays a big role, I pray before every game on the field after the National Anthem

7. What role has your family played in your career and who was the person(s) that supported you the most?
Kaleb: Dad pushed me the most. When I was little, dad wuld put the bat in my hand.

8. How has being drafted changed your life?
Kaleb: Without going to college, I had to grow up alot faster than my friends.

9. Do you have any words/advice for your fans?
Kaleb: Keep God first in your life no matter where life takes you.

---------------Questions from the boards-----------------------------------

I had a few people who posted actual questions on the boards instead of being keyboard cowboys. I also stated that I would try to get a ball signed to send to one of those people. Well I was able to get a ball signed, but instead of being random on who got it, I let Kaleb pick the person with the question he enjoyed answering the most and had him sign it to them. First up, the questions!

Josh from NC:
1. Why did you choose the particular inscription you use?
Kaleb: I wanted people to look it up. It is a very powerful verse and it really sums up for non-believers what Christ can do for you.

2. Also, if he collects cards (or at least judges when he signs them) I'd like to know which ones he likes the most?
Kaleb: I honestly couldn't tell you because I don't collect them. I don't even know where to get the cards at.

Jeremy from NY
1. What he would like to do after baseball. Will he go back to school?
Kaleb: If my career didn't work out, I would probably go back to school or get into coaching.

Brauny from Wisc.
1. When did you find God and accept him into your life?
Kaleb: When I was 9yrs old. Could get out of church that day. I had something prying on my heart. It was the best decision I ever made.

2. Do you still go to church on a weekly basis?
Kaleb: Yes (Fact: JD Drew's Uncle is his pastor)

19Braves77 From Salt Lake City Utah:
1. Worst Pioneer League city to have a day off in? (Kaleb laughed about this one, don't think he expected this one)
Kaleb: It has to be Casper Wyoming, because there was nothing in that town!

2. your favorite Pioneer league stadium outside of Provo?
Kaleb: Ogden, Utah... I always seemed to hit good in Ogden

----------------------End Of Questions------------------------------

First of all, if you have read all of this, I do appreciate your time. It was a great time meeting Kaleb and had my work schedule been a little easier since, I would have already had this posted. Kaleb asked if I was ready to get some autographs after we talked a little more. You all will be happy to know, I gave him some pointers on how to properly sign cards and keep them in the signing area and such. Just like most athletes, he didn't think anything of it until I told him what to look out for. He promised he would sign all stickers and hard signed cards in the signing area. :mrgreen:

Ok, he also signed a few things for me. I was able to get a minor league card I had signed, a baseball for my ex-wife's son, a baseball for me of course and a baseball for my boss for letting me take an extended lunch break to meet up with him. He also signed a Black and Silver Louisville Slugger for me (In silver metallic sharpie of course.)

Oh yeah, the baseball I asked him to sign for someone on the boards, well he chose jdsingar's (Josh from NC) question as the one he enjoyed the most. He signed the ball: "To Josh, Thank's for the ? Kaleb Cowart Phil 4:13"

I added some pics, I hope you enjoyed. He is a good guy and you should all collect him, after this, he is my new Player Collection I am starting. God Bless!

Josh's signed ball:
DSCF0032.jpg

Me and Kaleb
DSCF0028.jpg

To top it off, got my BGS Submission in the mail yesterday!!
I will probably give Kaleb the one on the right, but the subs on the left are insane! (0.5 away from being a BGS 10!!)

KalebCowartGraded.jpg

FATBABY

Feb 19, 2009
tommyd2107 said:
Sounds like an awesome experience. I pulled one of his chrome autos out of last years bdp.

It was a great experience! Thanks!

Uofo2212

Aug 8, 2008
Great post and even better story.....always nice to hear about one of the good guys. I already have some of his stuff, but I might need to expand it.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
great story. Im already a big cowart fan, this just made me respect him more. God bless. Greg

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
That was a very very cool story. Thanks for taking time to post it up and thanks for your service.

jdsingar

Feb 10, 2011
Thanks a ton for the write up, and especially for the hook up with the ball. All of his answers were really interesting. I find it interesting that he doesn't care for cards at all. That must have been miserable to sign all of those cards, but at least he's getting a few bucks right? I hope he can make it as a mainstay at third for the Angels. That would be a great place to be, it would seem.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
halldogg,

I just wanted to say that I am glad to hear your story, and that all of this has eased everything regarding your divorce and such. It never ceases to amaze me how tough situations can end up being such powerful influences in our life. Without getting into my faith too much, I just want to let you know I am a fellow believer-and if you ever need someone to talk to, advice, etc-do not hesitate to give me a shout through a PM or something. People are amazing resources, this much I have learned when I have gone through adversity. Keep your head up, and thank you for your service as well!

Abracadaver

Jan 30, 2011
Eureka, CA
Thanks for sharing this with us. Really cool.
Glad to see he isn't shy about his faith.(you too!) After reading this I will start to look for his cards more.

FATBABY

Feb 19, 2009
shanks25 said:
Did you eat at the Garden Cafe?????

LOL! No, we met up at Firehouse Subs.

I appreciate all of the positive feedback. If you aren't a fan, you definitely would be after meeting him. Again, thanks for looking and the feedback. Keep'em coming!

Members online

No members online now.