Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: How many 2011 cards did you add?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadwright

Jun 25, 2011
Austin, TX
When I got back into buying baseball cards earlier this year I bought cards from a wide variety of players. After a few months I narrowed it to just my childhood hero, Nolan Ryan. This way I could obtain better cards with focus. Plus, just having one player to collect would mean less cards to add each year.

I just counted and realized I added 70 2011 Nolan Ryan cards to the collection. Obviously that's not everything that was released but it is very close to one example of each card released (for instance, 2011 Triple Threads, I don't need one of every color of each card).

I honestly thought it would be a much lower number.

So for other player collectors, what did 2011 releases look like for you?

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I added a whopping 3 2011 Jack Wilson cards to my collection, the base Topps card, Topps Factory, and the Mariners team set card. I just don't have the interest in chasing the dozen or so different Topps parallels since he left the Pirates.

chadwright

Jun 25, 2011
Austin, TX
subject to change said:
I added a whopping 3 2011 Jack Wilson cards to my collection, the base Topps card, Topps Factory, and the Mariners team set card. I just don't have the interest in chasing the dozen or so different Topps parallels since he left the Pirates.

I'm with you on the parallels in most cases. Rarely do I chase different versions unless they are each unique and something I like the design of. I guess the various diamond anniversary version of the Topps base cards from this year qualify. I like the cognac, hope and canary diamond versions.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I think my count is 3 so far.. not much since my guy was only in Goodwin and the 1/1's and plates have been eaten up already.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
gracecollector said:
Mark Grace = 0 new issues
Don Zimmer = 1 new issue

Topps monopoly sucks. Same players in every issue.

I see Grace has only been in 3 sets since 2008 (all UD), and in 4 sets in 2007 but always in Legendary Cuts.

I'm amazed he has 3,000 different cards - although I'm amazed about any player with close to that huge amount.

But I'd ask at what point should retired guys no longer be expected to have new cards? Grace, for instance, last played in 2003.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
gracecollector said:
Don Zimmer = 1 new issue

Same thing with Yount. I know there was some stuff, but I don't think I added more than 5 cards.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
uniquebaseballcards said:
gracecollector said:
Don Zimmer = 1 new issue

I see Grace has only been in 3 sets since 2008 (all UD), and in 4 sets in 2007 but always in Legendary Cuts.

I'm amazed he has 3,000 different cards - although I'm amazed about any player with close to that huge amount.

But I'd ask at what point should retired guys no longer be expected to have new cards? Grace, for instance, last played in 2003.

I think there's a market for at least 1-2 sets a year that cater towards fan favorites and all-star caliber players from the past. There seems to be a void in the market for retired stars with the disappearance of sets like Fan Favorites, Fleer Greats, etc. Sure, he doesn't deserve to be in most sets, but it would be nice to see MLB licensed sets with more MLB'ers - past and present - than MiLB'ers (prospects) that will in many cases never play in the majors.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I'm 100% for 2011 (not counting 1/1's). Well, Cantu only had 18 cards in Topps and Topps Update so it was pretty easy.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
gracecollector said:
uniquebaseballcards said:
gracecollector said:
Don Zimmer = 1 new issue

I think there's a market for at least 1-2 sets a year that cater towards fan favorites and all-star caliber players from the past. There seems to be a void in the market for retired stars with the disappearance of sets like Fan Favorites, Fleer Greats, etc. Sure, he doesn't deserve to be in most sets, but it would be nice to see MLB licensed sets with more MLB'ers - past and present - than MiLB'ers (prospects) that will in many cases never play in the majors.

There's a 2012 Topps Archives coming out.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I pushed over 1000 Winfields in 2011. Since I'm now sitting at 1057, I guess I added around 65-70 cards to that collection this year. Unless there is some new stupid endless parallel set with a Winfield in 2012, I don't expect to add that many in 2012.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
I got ALL of the 2011 cards of my players... OH WAIT THERE WERE NONE... FOR ANY OF THEM.

Not Dice-K, not Maples, not Randy Johnson... NONE!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts