Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
^interesting

i retracted my initial offer on the Pedro, and threw out the 62% ($500) and it was accepted. with the 10% ebay bucks offer, makes it more palatable.

wish i had thrown out $300 on the Piazza! would have been only $270 after EBay Bucks

good luck with the card you are after [MENTION=9701]forgerelli[/MENTION]

eBay bucks was a definite nice bonus!

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
^interesting

i retracted my initial offer on the Pedro, and threw out the 62% ($500) and it was accepted. with the 10% ebay bucks offer, makes it more palatable.

wish i had thrown out $300 on the Piazza! would have been only $270 after EBay Bucks

good luck with the card you are after [MENTION=9701]forgerelli[/MENTION]

I made an offer of 67% and it was accepted. I wasn't going to let this one get away.

Scott F

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Response from the seller on where he got them:

"It came as part of a high quality modern card collection with a Jordan
Rookie PSA and many better autographed insert cards - SV"

Scott F

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Edit: Oops I now see this was mentioned earlier.

How do so many of these come from one source? All the big names too....

Last edited:

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Had to be someone that was just into 90's inserts and 1/1's before they went crazy. It only my 4th 90's 1/1 Mariano and the first one I've ever seen in the wild.

Scott F

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Seller states they have a few more that will be listed. I am leaning away from these being the pack issued ones, more towards a stamped replacement set. But that's just my thoughts, and not fact based.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
What's up with all the '99 Ultra Masterpieces just listed, backdoored? Samho just sold the Jeter in January.

For some reason I remember a Beckett article about some Fleer Ultra cards that were mistakenly stamped with the the Masterpiece foil on them, therefore creating multiple copies of a particular card.

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
For some reason I remember a Beckett article about some Fleer Ultra cards that were mistakenly stamped with the the Masterpiece foil on them, therefore creating multiple copies of a particular card.

If it's the ones I'm thinking of yes... they did do that but they were numbered as part of the legacy.... so to /100. But had the purple foil on the front.

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
a90c7796649b6356481098b1894587ba.jpg

Just like shown here... these are both /100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Seller states they have a few more that will be listed. I am leaning away from these being the pack issued ones, more towards a stamped replacement set. But that's just my thoughts, and not fact based.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

I agree.

Originally thought the Griffey (base version) that sold back in December was questionable due to the "Only 1/1..." stamp not being clean and the full text slanting downward/not being perfectly horizontal across the card - thought it was a damage replacement that was printed and stamped after the fact due to multiple previous posts stating how 99 Ultra baseball had backdoored copies out there. I thought that the pack-pulled version would have clean and horizontal stamping, much like the original Flair Masterpieces from '97.

Then another copy of the Griffey base version drops last night; better stamping than the one in December, but text still slanted downwards.

Then I see the Pat Meares that [MENTION=12890]ThunderFan25[/MENTION] pack pulled, which had lower-quality 1/1 stamping than others I've seen, with downward slanting text.

This leads me to believe that '99 Ultra Masterpieces did not have high stamping quality control (look at the David Wells this seller has!) Given that there have now been two Griffeys that have similar stamping quality, my belief (like Ryan - not fact based) is that Fleer made multiple sheets of '99 Masterpieces and stamped them. Their bankruptcy allowed them to enter the secondary market. Thus, just like '99 Ultimate Victory, '98 SI, and '98 Score 1/1's, some players have more than 1 copy in circulation, except these Ultras are stamped.

hairyharold

Mar 20, 2014
I agree.

Originally thought the Griffey (base version) that sold back in December was questionable due to the "Only 1/1..." stamp not being clean and the full text slanting downward/not being perfectly horizontal across the card - thought it was a damage replacement that was printed and stamped after the fact due to multiple previous posts stating how 99 Ultra baseball had backdoored copies out there. I thought that the pack-pulled version would have clean and horizontal stamping, much like the original Flair Masterpieces from '97.

Then another copy of the Griffey base version drops last night; better stamping than the one in December, but text still slanted downwards.

Then I see the Pat Meares that [MENTION=12890]ThunderFan25[/MENTION] pack pulled, which had lower-quality 1/1 stamping than others I've seen, with downward slanting text.

This leads me to believe that '99 Ultra Masterpieces did not have high stamping quality control (look at the David Wells this seller has!) Given that there have now been two Griffeys that have similar stamping quality, my belief (like Ryan - not fact based) is that Fleer made multiple sheets of '99 Masterpieces and stamped them. Their bankruptcy allowed them to enter the secondary market. Thus, just like '99 Ultimate Victory, '98 SI, and '98 Score 1/1's, some players have more than 1 copy in circulation, except these Ultras are stamped.

so all are technically authentic and NOT after market stamped from uncut sheets. i guess the 1998 ultra has the same issue as i recall someone having multiple copies of a player...believe manny ramirez?

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Only 90s 1/1 I'm a fan of are the 99 Gem Master, Mirror Blacks and 98 Pinnacle Mirror Artist Proofs. Pretty much everything else is basically a 1 of 2 or 3. Imagine paying like 6k for a 1/1 then 2 more pop up I'd be pretty pissed

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I've seen Griffeys other twin 1/1 card from 1998 Score, but Ive yet to seen the double of this one.................. YET

mailpinnpic.jpg

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
43a09681823b6f065dadc28185bd3979.jpg
e8db0492c2e06b368a743684a1ce6045.jpg
b1996ea7ed9411ac9ca4fe2c16ef5fd8.jpg
1ae6ef5b76746d2c8498e027a3ea0dfa.jpg

A few pickups today...
after looking at the 93 finest kinda upset cause I think top-bottom is o/c...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online