Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Game on! Otani open to sign in The MLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
“Nippon-Ham Fighters have officially announced that their Japanese Babe Ruth, Shohei Otani, will be available to all MLB clubs. Memo to the Blue Jays: if there was ever a reason to justify a substantial business expense, this one might pay the best dividends yet.”

He is pretty open to sign with anyone. Last I heard Otani would fall under the U-25 IFA rules. The Rangers have the most money left to spend but obviously money is not an issue for Otani. He’s probably looking for a team that will allow him to pitch and hit.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sweet. 2017 was the first time we had zero Japanese players making their MLB debut since 1994. Money doesn't seem like an issue for him. Who ultimately signs him is anyone's guess.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I really hope this kid gets to do both. Pitch every fifth day, maybe 2-3 games in the field in between. If he can do both at an above average level it will be great for the game

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
He's not cleared yet - the MLBPA still has to approve.

Now that Otani has a MBLPA-approved player rep, hopefully they can agree on a deal. It does sound like the Ham-Fighters are ok with whatever compensation they receive. I’m not sure why the MLBPA reps are acting like a-holes on this deal.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Isn't there like a cap of a few million dollars on his contract per year so nearly any team can afford him?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Yes, pretty much. Whatever each team has left in its IFA bonus pool. The Rangers are the team with the most money left w/$3.53MM. NYY and the Twins are at $3.2MM. Another complication is the potential free agency of Maitan. If he becomes available will teams wait for an Otani decision or sign him?

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Yes, pretty much. Whatever each team has left in its IFA bonus pool. The Rangers are the team with the most money left w/$3.53MM. NYY and the Twins are at $3.2MM. Another complication is the potential free agency of Maitan. If he becomes available will teams wait for an Otani decision or sign him?

I hadn't thought about the fact that Maitan might have his contract voided in all that mess. Wow.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
How many of these highly touted foreign league players have actually worked out to have decent length all star MLB careers? Ichiro has to be a rare exception, as his performance was in the all time great category. Nomo had a decent career., but he is a Dodger so I was following more closely Maeda is doing decent in two seasons with the Dodgers, but nothing like what the hype made it seem like he'd do. Not sure about any of the others, as I didn't follow closely.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Just an off the cuff estimate but I would guess the percent of "highly touted" prospects coming from Asia that work out is pretty close to the same number of domestic prospects that work out.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
How many of these highly touted foreign league players have actually worked out to have decent length all star MLB careers? Ichiro has to be a rare exception, as his performance was in the all time great category. Nomo had a decent career., but he is a Dodger so I was following more closely Maeda is doing decent in two seasons with the Dodgers, but nothing like what the hype made it seem like he'd do. Not sure about any of the others, as I didn't follow closely.

Ichiro is of course the pinnacle so far. It's just hard to say since so few of them come over before their 30th birthday. Darvish and Nomo are the two that were around Ohtani's age and they've been the best of the bunch, excluding the immortal Ichiro.

Even so some of the guys who came over 30 or older did okay too.

Kaz Sasaki - ROY and a 2 time all star in a 4 year career started at age 32
Hideki Matsui - 3 fWAR player when healthy and a 2 time All Star
Nori Aoki - Solid career though not a star

Lots of guys didn't work out but I'd bet the failure rate is the same or lower than other international signings.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I will be shocked if any team lets him do both. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see it and think it’d be great for the game but people lose their minds and go off about the DH for weeks every time a pitcher gets injured running the bases or hitting. He’d probably get a chance at the other side if whatever the team’s preference is doesn’t work out after some time

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
I will be shocked if any team lets him do both. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see it and think it’d be great for the game but people lose their minds and go off about the DH for weeks every time a pitcher gets injured running the bases or hitting. He’d probably get a chance at the other side if whatever the team’s preference is doesn’t work out after some time

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

If that is Ohtani’s goal he will sign with a team that will let him do both. But that is only a guess-Ohtani has been pretty quiet on what he actually wants.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I really don't know the answer to this one, but don't teams have to spend more $ just for the shot at signing these foreign players, then they have to pay the player as well? With a success rate so low, it hardly seems worth it, but I guess when you are talking in billions, maybe it's chump change to take the risk.

sbib

Aug 17, 2008
Let the crazy hype begin - every team will be interested, but where will he land? Hope he lands in Philly

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I really don't know the answer to this one, but don't teams have to spend more $ just for the shot at signing these foreign players, then they have to pay the player as well? With a success rate so low, it hardly seems worth it, but I guess when you are talking in billions, maybe it's chump change to take the risk.

I believe that's called the posting fee, that goes to his team in Japan as their compensation. I think $20 million is the maximum they can ask for. Then the MLB team has 30 days, or some window of time, to work a deal with otani.

On another note, I hate the DH and I think pitchers need to be total players. I doubt it happens but I hope this kid sparks a revolution and we see more "two way" baseball players.

Members online