Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PROMOS/SAMPLES/PREVIEWS/PROTOTYPES/PRE-PRODUCTIONS/TESTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The only 1996 Circa Boss promo was Cal Ripken Jr.

Yeah, I personally think it is a regular pack with the Clark Boss on the top, cool item still, just don't think it's promo related. Like I said its been 20 years since I've seen a pack of this but I thought they possibly were like the Flair "box" packs with the inner pack.

Ryan

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
My newest pick up

1460689287997.jpg1460689314417.jpg

I guess it's a ONE OF ONE but who knows with these.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
Derek Jeter - 2002 Fleer Genuine - Tip of the Cap Game Used (Never Released)
GU8-09-10001.jpg

Derek Jeter - 2002 Donruss Originals - Nifty Fifty Combos, Sample
Jeter02DonrussOriginalsGUBaseBallSa.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I showed this card a while back and the jury is still out on this. I grabbed this a year or so back on eBay. I'm not sure if any of you guys got your players or not but are these things legit? I am not sure if someone would go through the trouble of writing "SAMPLE" on these or they are in fact true samples. Does anyone have any insight opinions or knowledge of these?

m0iak302.jpeg

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
I showed this card a while back and the jury is still out on this. I grabbed this a year or so back on eBay. I'm not sure if any of you guys got your players or not but are these things legit? I am not sure if someone would go through the trouble of writing "SAMPLE" on these or they are in fact true samples. Does anyone have any insight opinions or knowledge of these?

m0iak302.jpeg

I got my guy about a year ago as well...
attachment.php

Interestingly enough the word "SAMPLE" is written differently on the back of mine vs. yours. It's certainly possible that someone would add the word SAMPLE aftermarket as I also have Ripken's Heroes of the Game card from the same set and it's a blank white box. However, that card was advertised as a proof and is slightly oversized compared to the regular issue.

Attachments

• 98spx-sample.jpg
    98spx-sample.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 141

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
[MENTION=10980]ripken8[/MENTION] lol, if things couldn't get anymore confusing. Lol. Now I'm hoping more guys chime in with pictures of theirs. I would love to know if there is another O'Neill out there written like yours.

Juanlasttime

Apr 9, 2016
North east Pa
I got my guy about a year ago as well...
attachment.php

Interestingly enough the word "SAMPLE" is written differently on the back of mine vs. yours. It's certainly possible that someone would add the word SAMPLE aftermarket as I also have Ripken's Heroes of the Game card from the same set and it's a blank white box. However, that card was advertised as a proof and is slightly oversized compared to the regular issue.

I've got a Juan Gonzalez sample written like the Ripken sample... Feel free to check it out at juangone.com

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Okay now this just made me a little more nuttier than I already am with these things!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2008
Took a chance and picked up these cherries recently: 1992 Donruss Supers Partial Set - 12 below were graded and another 6 ungraded
(Carter, Molitor, Felix Jose, Jay Bell, Swindell, Sanderson)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• SUPER1.JPG
    SUPER1.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 206
  • SUPER2.JPG
    SUPER2.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 209
  • SUPER3.JPG
    SUPER3.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 206

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014
Been sorting some cards and came across this one I got a couple years ago. Wondering if this might be a psa slabbing sample?? Any info?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0717161947b.jpg
    0717161947b.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 149

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Been sorting some cards and came across this one I got a couple years ago. Wondering if this might be a psa slabbing sample?? Any info?

attachment.php

Hmmm, I'd say yes it's a PSA thing vs a real sample, but not 100%. Regardless it's a neat item.

Ryan

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Did anyone see their player available from those 1992 Ace Novelty Prototype blank back/fronts listed on eBay recently?

I had no idea there were that many players available and wonder if standard issue versions of their cards even exist? Does anyone have the standard issue of their guy? I was fortunate to find the four different Puckett's, but it took me until 2011 to finally find them all.

From what I know about that standard versions, Ace Novelty who used to make those crazy haired Troll dolls from the late 80's and early 90's along with other tchotchkes petitioned MLB for a license to sell cards. Why not, everyone seemed to be making them back then... I heard they made it pretty far in the process with the prototypes they created. They presented to MLB, but were denied the license and were supposed to destroy the cards. Fortunately, some of them made it out at some point in the production or after they were denied the license.

I used to see the 4 Puckett cards on want lists that I found over the years and couldn't find any pictures or information about them. I eventually found them all for my own personal collection. I managed to buy one from eBay in the late 90's and added the other three through offline deals from big time Puckett collectors who sold off their collections.

What blows my mind are these cards are prototypes at their very core, and these blank back/fronts may very well be pre-production prototypes and at the very least unfinished prototypes. They're super cool if you ask me, but then again I chased the standard Puckett's for years. I'd wager given the circumstances surrounding these cards, they'd have to be among the rarest cards of the early 90's. I wish he had Puckett's available for sale!

Clarkfan, do you have any knowledge about them? I've always been fascinated with these cards and would love to hear anything else about them or see more pictures of them.

Here's a picture of my four.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    895.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 185

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Did anyone see their player available from those 1992 Ace Novelty Prototype blank back/fronts listed on eBay recently? .......

Up until yesterday, these never existed to me. I've never heard of them or seen them anywhere. I did some research, and the items listed on ebay right now came from a sheet that sold cheap. Here was the description they gave:

----
68 fronts and backs, printed on 1 side, unpublished. In the summer of 1992 the company I worked for as Transportation Supervisor, we had a large printing shop that mainly printed Lottery Scratch tickets. We got involved to print Baseball cards. You had to win the final approval to be published. The baseball commission only granted licenses to 2 printing companies. We came in third. I believe no more than a dozen were ever handed out as samples and therefore very rare. The Ball cap goes with the sheet. Thanks for your bid and you really are getting something rare and different to the card collector.
----

What it sounds like to me is perhaps a third party printing company was almost in a contest to do these, and they weren't selected. I do think they are neat ... but I don't think I'd be a buyer unless it is at a 10th of the price. If these were prototypes for Topps & front Topps or something, that would be a whole other ball of wax.

Members online