Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why I Make Custom Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I remember when I first started making custom cards. A few months after getting into it, I went to a card show with some of them to show some people just to get a reaction. Right off the bat, I could tell I was going to get a wide array of responses. Some looked angry, some looked confused while others looked overjoyed. Whenever I talk to others and it comes up "yeah, I make custom baseball cards", they scrunch their nose at me and don't really know what that means.

I understand customs aren't for everyone, but if there is one thing I know now more in 2016 is that the cards put out by the big companies aren't for everyone, either. I have never heard so much frustration from the collecting community. Endless complaints target the big dogs. From pedaling out what seems to be 100 different releases a year with uninspired designs, to collation issues to redemption problems, etc. I guess it is true you can't please everyone all the time.

These are all beautiful designs, but they look like virtually all of them should belong in the same set.

similar.jpg

Heck, I just picked up a 2015 National Treasures card I needed, got worried that it was the 2014 instead because I forgot they were similar. When it got here, I found out that I was wrong on both accounts. It was a card from Immaculate that I already had. They all just looked too similar in my head!

I have been a big supporter of the big card companies - I love that they come out with cool stuff, however, I guess it is wearing on me a bit. It seems like each year, we are being pushed to buy the same picture with a different card design in the background and in 10 different colors, with one of them being the all mighty 1 of 1. The sheer volume and redundancy year after year can give any super collector fits!

Patches, autographs, serial numbered cards (yes ... even 1/1 serial numbered cards!) are not exactly rare anymore. Heck, the "huge" cards that were once found in mid-range packs are not as special anymore, thanks to the glut of high end products constantly being invented that have nothing but high end cards in them.

I am torn.

When I see a card I like, half of me hopes that Canseco is included, just so I can enjoy how it looks, but then the other half of me kind of sighs because it is another card with the same picture as the year before with 20 color variations to chase. I'm finding myself enjoying the manufactured 1/1's less and less, when compared to the cards like the 92 fleer ultra prototypes I scored or the original comic book artwork I picked up.

While I'm not about to give up collecting anytime soon, I find myself being more and more disillusioned with every release and a tad more choosy in what I buy for my collection. The super collector mindset of "gotta have it all" doesn't work too well in 2016 when you want to continue to enjoy this hobby without feeling like you are on a hamster wheel trying to keep up with all of the new releases.

So for me, this is where the customs come in. More than ever for me, customs fill an ever-widening hole. A hole where more cards are being produced, but fewer are scratching that collecting "itch". It frustrates me that a regular autograph can go for $10, whereas the exact same card with a different color background can go for hundreds more.

Because of this, I find myself sometimes sacrificing one of those poor little $10 base autograph cards to customize and make up a fantasy superfractor like this:

20160402_010255.jpg

Why? Because 5 different types simply isn't near enough for a rainbow.

20160402_010518.jpg

Customs are great for when one of your guys hasn't been featured on (m)any high end cards while playing for your team, and you have donor cards because you don't care about him playing for anyone else:

20160323_165404.jpg

20160323_171822.jpg

20160323_182934.jpg

Or perhaps some of your favorite player was simply never included in any of your favorite sets of cards

1997 Finest Atomic Refractor utilizing junk wax images
Untitled-4.jpg

Cramer's Choice die cut w/a few enhancements
Untitled-6.jpg

Some others that you likely won't be seeing anytime soon in packs are dual "pawtograph" / dog-worn sweater relic books:

20160325_005911.jpg

Or even a relic that one of your favorite players was known for chewing on:

20160329_140413.jpg

I mean, c'mon Topps! Where is the certified toothpick love? :)

Perhaps one of the other reasons that customs are so enjoyable for me, is because each one has a story of how it was built. In a sense, the card feels like it has soul. I tend to feel that some of the new cards just feel soul-less when compared to their earlier counterparts.

Here are a few stories of some of my newest PC custom cards.

Remember the highly photoshopped Topps/Bowman cards that I mentioned above that look like they could all be in the same set? Well, I happen to like the design, quite a bit. I've said this line before and I'll probably say it again, but while I was bummed Jose wasn't included, I'm glad he wasn't now so I could have a go at it. Here was the card that inspired me to give it a go:

Untitled-7.jpg

Look, I know. I get it. It doesn't make sense - why is Brett playing baseball in what is clearly being depicted as an apocalyptic end times battle between good and evil? I don't know, but it sings to me. It reminds me of the fun flash animation / photoshop abstract art I used to create 15 years ago.

I came up with my own. A photoshopped mashup of several heavily modified pictures. In case you can't tell, there is a baseball stadium, mountains, asteroids about to hit the earth ... you name it, it is in there.
blankbg.jpg

Add a cool sounding name like "Augmented Reality" (Why not? Naming the card is half the fun!) and put your favorite player on it:

homer.jpg

Ehhh...wrong guy. Trying again.

front-standard-normal.jpg

There it is! But something isn't quite right. Oh no! Jose is breaking out of his "real" body and into his photoshopped body!

breakout.jpg

To which we arrive with this:

front-standard.jpg

I thought I could amp it up a bit with some holofoil, so I did. Here is a pic of it as a "real" card:

20160331_173704.jpg

Sometimes, I'll draw inspiration from other cards from other sports that catch my eye:

Untitled-2.jpg

I didn't think much of the card until I really started thinking about how it could be executed. The card above had a gold ink signature, and I remembered that I had Jose sign some silver and gold ink blanks for me last year.

20160401_163942.jpg

I used these primarily because of the texture and look of the material signed on. Take a closer look:

20160401_164323.jpg

The silver signature paired up very nicely with the card I came up with "Behind the Plate"

20160401_164359-1.jpg

The entire player, ball, logo and lettering all seem to GLOW while shifting the rainbow colors depending upon how you hold it. It came out very cool in person!

Finally, when a card that is produced by one of the big boys, it is a 1 of 1 and you missed it, I've gotta say that is a BIG motivation to create something truly unique. In this case, it was a National Treasures button card. I was unable to grab it, but figured I might as well make a truly unique button card for myself. Heck, I have plenty of jerseys and other things worn by Canseco for such a time as this, so why not?

20160327_143728%20copy.jpg

This card means a lot to me. Aside from the fact that I'm very pleased with how the design and finish came out, it fills a (button) hole in my collection - not by using a piece of a jersey that was supposedly worn in a game, but by using a piece that was definitely worn on the biggest day of my *baseball* life by my favorite baseball player. Does this card have soul to me? Yeah, you bet it does.

The longer I do this, the more I find that these customs mean to me, and the more I hear what they mean to those who I make them for. It takes away the stress of being the winner of a hard to find card, and gives me pure enjoyment to add to my collection (when everything goes according to plan, that is!) Heck, a part of their story comes from when I write about them, show them and receive positive feedback. They won't ever have a "book value" but that is fine by me.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I agree with your perspective of the new products, being a player supercollector myself. Sometimes you just gotta get choosy with what you want to spend your money on, and i prefer to hunt the older product versus the new stuff.

Again, your custom work is amazing. Too bad you cant get licensed to go up against the big boys. Or can you?

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Thanks guys! I truly appreciate the kind words.

I agree with your perspective of the new products, being a player supercollector myself. Sometimes you just gotta get choosy with what you want to spend your money on, and i prefer to hunt the older product versus the new stuff.

Again, your custom work is amazing. Too bad you cant get licensed to go up against the big boys. Or can you?

I've never looked into it and probably wouldn't be able to afford a license or anything like that. I really enjoy what I'm doing right now though, however one day, I'd love to have my hand in one of the designs that some of the big guys come out with. That would be the coolest for me.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Good stuff Tanner... I think the Button came out great. Your right about the items to choose from. I have been debating with Clark what route to "super collect". 86-05 then pick and choose past that, 86-08 then pick, or go for everything including current (non 1/1) or what. I can't/haven't been able to come up with one route that I can stick with. I do know I will prob reach out to you at some point with some ideas that I have for my collection.

Ryan

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Good stuff Tanner... I think the Button came out great. Your right about the items to choose from. I have been debating with Clark what route to "super collect". 86-05 then pick and choose past that, 86-08 then pick, or go for everything including current (non 1/1) or what. I can't/haven't been able to come up with one route that I can stick with. I do know I will prob reach out to you at some point with some ideas that I have for my collection.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! I don't have a set rule that I stick with ... as for now, I'm still planning on buying up anything/everything that is not stupidly priced. I don't mind paying top dollar for something if it is truly special, but it def. has to be special.

Simple..... Because you can and you're pretty darn great at it. Nice work as usual. Some if not most of us can only wish we can.....

Thanks! One of my earliest customs was actually an 89 UD style Ripken when he was in the minors if I recall correctly.

I personally think panini should give you a contract to make a minnesota twins only set :)

LOL of course you would say that! I just showed a guy some of the stuff I did for you and he was floored.

Every post you make on this site is fire.

Thanks Chris!

Members online