Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blockbuster Trade - Prince Fielder for Ian Kinsler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Fielder for Kinsler blockbuster is agreed to

November 20, 2013 7:44 pm ET

The Rangers and Tigers have agreed on a blockbuster deal to send Prince Fielder to Texas for Ian Kinsler, pending CBSSports.com has learned.

There could be another player involved in the trade as potential well, but that hasn't been confirmed.

Physicals would be needed if the trade is completed.

The Rangers made a play for Fielder when he was a free agent a couple years ago before the Tigers signed him for $214 million over nine years.

Trading Kinsler would open second base for Jurickson Profar. Texas has been looking for added punch to its lineup.

The Tigers had been floating Max Scherzer as a trade possibility. But a deal of Fielder could possibly free up extra cash to try to sign Scherzer long-term.

Fielder has a limited no-trade clause, but it isn't known if it includes Texas.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...lder-for-kinsler-bloickbuster-is-on-the-table

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Miggy move to first and keep nick at 3rd? If so, not a bad move, if it allows them to keep max.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Wow! Was recently kidding with a customer about the tigers trading him, moving miggy to first and Castellanos back to third.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Looks like it's a done deal.

Tigers To Acquire Prince Fielder For Ian Kinsler
By Zach Links [November 20, 2013 at 7:21pm CST]
The Tigers have agreed to trade Prince Fielder to the Rangers for Ian Kinsler, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. There could be another player involved in the trade as well, but that hasn't been confirmed, Heyman writes. There could also be money involved to offset the difference between Fielder's contract and Kinsler's.

The Rangers were in the mix for Fielder when he was on the open market a couple years ago before the Tigers signed him to a nine-year, $214MM deal. Fielder took a step back in 2013, posting a .279/.362/.457 slash line as opposed to the .287/.393/.538 batting line he posted in his previous eight campaigns. For all of the concern over his conditioning, Fielder sure has been durable - the slugger has missed just one regular season game in the last five seasons.

Aside from giving Texas a five-time All-Star with a big bat, the deal would have the added benefit of opening up second base for Jurickson Profar. Kinsler's name has been on MLBTR quite a bit in recent months thanks to the Rangers' middle infield logjam and lack of quality second base options available on the open market outside of kingpin Robinson Cano. The veteran has spent his entire career with Texas, hitting .273/.349/.454 across eight big league seasons. While not on the level of Fielder's deal, the 31-year-old has a pretty decent-sized contract himself as he is owed $57MM through 2017.

FIelder has a limited no-trade clause as a part of his contract and it turns out that Texas was on his no-trade list, but he apparently waived it to help facilitate the deal.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As a Rangers fan, I was shocked to hear this on the radio.
I knew a Kinsler trade was possible, but I never knew a huge star like Fielder was a possibility.

Kinsler's a real fan favorite in Dallas, but I'm sure Fielder will be too.
Miguel Cabrera must be pissed since they were best buds.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Wow. Really nice deal for both sides IMO.

Although I do wonder how big boy Fielder will do in those summer heat filled months.

I wonder if the Rangers are looking at Cano now.....

What if the Rangers moved Kinsler for Fielder
Andrus for whoever
Put Profar at SS and Cano at 2B. What an offseason that would be.

Anyways. I like it from both sides!

ben.z2010

Jan 17, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Prince was pretty bad in the playoffs against the Sox, so maybe a change in scenery will do him some good.

There's a lot of people acting like prince had a bad year. I know he struggled in the playoffs, but he still hit .280 with 25 homers and over 100 RBI. That's an awful lot to try to replace.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
This was a smart move by the Tigers. They had to get rid of someone if they plan on keeping Scherzer and Cabrera long term. Even though Infante was good at 2b last year, it's been a big hole in the lineup for a while. It also moves Cabrera back to 1st, which is good for his health, and defense.

Rumors are they aren't done dealing or signing. I've heard one of two options are being floated around:

C - Avila
1B - Cabrera
2B - Kinsler
SS - Iglesias
3B -Castellanos
OF - Ellsbury/Choo etc.
OF - Jackson
OF - Hunter
DH - Martinez

or

C - Avila
1B - Kinsler
2B - Cano
SS - Iglesias
3B - Cabera
OF - Castellanos
OF - Jackson
OF - Hunter
DH - Martinez

Personally I hope it's the first. Cabrera needs to play 1B long term to stay healthier. Plus I like the speed of the first lineup better if they landed Ellsbury.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
This was a smart move by the Tigers. They had to get rid of someone if they plan on keeping Scherzer and Cabrera long term. Even though Infante was good at 2b last year, it's been a big hole in the lineup for a while. It also moves Cabrera back to 1st, which is good for his health, and defense.

Rumors are they aren't done dealing or signing. I've heard one of two options are being floated around:

C - Avila
1B - Cabrera
2B - Kinsler
SS - Iglesias
3B -Castellanos
OF - Ellsbury/Choo etc.
OF - Jackson
OF - Hunter
DH - Martinez

or

C - Avila
1B - Kinsler
2B - Cano
SS - Iglesias
3B - Cabera
OF - Castellanos
OF - Jackson
OF - Hunter
DH - Martinez

Personally I hope it's the first. Cabrera needs to play 1B long term to stay healthier. Plus I like the speed of the first lineup better if they landed Ellsbury.

I agree, this trade actually benefits cabrera and the team in the long run

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, PM me.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
i'm amazed prince has fallen that far! When I first heard of the trade, I thought the media reports kept forgetting to mention the second player the rangers were sending along with Ian to the tigers for prince.

To me, Ian and Prince are not equals so the only way to make a straight up trade is if Detroit took lesser value in return because it's a salary dump and frees up money for them to sign free agents or ink current players to extensions.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
To me, Ian and Prince are not equals so the only way to make a straight up trade is if Detroit took lesser value in return because it's a salary dump and frees up money for them to sign free agents or ink current players to extensions.
When healthy, Kinsler is actually a better all-around player than Fielder.
Kinsler has two 30-homer/30 steal seasons.
He scores well over 100 runs, doesn't strike out much and is a good fielder.
Kinsler is extremely underrated, and Fielder's offense has been steadily declining for years.

Members online

Latest posts