Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I Scream, You Scream, Jesus Montero Screams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
....but not in a good way.

Jesus Montero has altercation with Mariners scout over ice cream sandwich
By Mike Oz
Big League Stew

In a story that can only be described as embarrassing for everyone involved, Jesus Montero, the disappointing one-time Seattle Mariners catcher, went after a scout from his own team with a bat during a minor-league game Thursday.

The reason? The scout had been heckling Montero during a rehab assignment with the Single-A Everett AquaSox, who were playing in Boise. The scout then sent an ice cream sandwich to the dugout for Montero. That's when Montero — who made headlines when he showed up at Mariners spring training 40 pounds overweight — snapped and had to be restrained.

We'll let MILB.com's Tyler Maun unravel the tale in greater detail:

Montero was coaching first base, and at the end of an inning, the unidentified cross-checker [a type of baseball scout] yelled at him to hustle off the field, according to Boise official scorer Liza Safford. Montero then headed to the AquaSox dugout on the third-base side.

According to a game official, the cross-checker then ordered an ice cream sandwich and had it sent to Montero in the dugout, escalating the confrontation further. The official said Montero — who arrived at Mariners Spring Training 40 pounds overweight this season — approached the stands with a bat while screaming profanities and threw the sandwich at the cross-checker. Montero had to be pulled back from the stands by Everett pitching coach Nasusel Cabrera, Safford said.

Obviously, it's never cool for a baseball player to go after someone with a bat. But what kind of scouts are the Mariners employing? It can't be within their code of conduct to actively troll players from the stands during a game, can it? Unless this was a test to see if Montero would keep his cool, and in that case, he very much failed.

Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik told the Seattle Times:

“I am aware of the incident in Boise. We are currently in the process of gathering information, but until I have all the details, I cannot comment.”

Montero, 24, has been nothing but a disappointment since coming to the Mariners in the 2012 trade that sent Michael Pineda to the New York Yankees. Montero showed plenty of promise as a prospect, but has been both injured and unproductive as a pro.

He played in 29 games for the Mariners last season and hit .208 before being suspended in the Biogenesis scandal. This year, Montero has played only six games at the big-league level, with one homer and two RBIs. In Triple-A this year, he's hit .286 with 16 homers and 74 RBIs.

Now, this wacky ice cream sandwich story will follow him where ever he goes. And given what he's shown the Mariners so far, don't be surprised if Montero's going somewhere else soon.

[MENTION=1957]Wes[/MENTION]

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
This just makes me want an ice cream sandwich. I haven't had one in years. That streak ends today.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I say good someone called him out on being lazy which he is and being overweight which he is. Take off the kiddie gloves with this guy already. Might be the best trade the yanks ever made

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Roid rage!

Seriously though, I find this absolutely hilarious on many levels. Whatever happened to the poster who was calling him "Monstero" in a non-ironic way, and giving **** to people who were doubting Montero's future HOF induction?

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
Roid rage!

Seriously though, I find this absolutely hilarious on many levels. Whatever happened to the poster who was calling him "Monstero" in a non-ironic way, and giving **** to people who were doubting Montero's future HOF induction?

Right?!? He was supposed to be the next Matt Laporta!
Wait...:p

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
What happened to the guy on Blowout that had a huge Montero stash?Wonder if he still has them?

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Montero's reaction was definitely wrong, but what kind of scout is that who would heckle his own players? I'd fire that guy as quickly as I could.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I had one of the bigger montero stashs around thankfully I at least recouped my funds when he was hot in st. I actually made some decent coin but I still have quite a few that I might as well burn. The guy has a bad attitude,lazy and has no clue what it takes to be a mlb'Er

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I had one of the bigger montero stashs around thankfully I at least recouped my funds when he was hot in st. I actually made some decent coin but I still have quite a few that I might as well burn. The guy has a bad attitude,lazy and has no clue what it takes to be a mlb'Er

How many do you have left?

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
How many do you have left?

I'm in the same boat - I'm sitting on about 15 or so including a few 9.5's. Thankfully I think I sold all of my Blue Refractor's which made me a lot of my initial investment, but boy, do I wish I focused on Stanton exclusively instead of going 50/50!

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I'm in the same boat - I'm sitting on about 15 or so including a few 9.5's. Thankfully I think I sold all of my Blue Refractor's which made me a lot of my initial investment, but boy, do I wish I focused on Stanton exclusively instead of going 50/50!

I have one refractor autograph I wish I would have dumped.Whoops.

Members online

No members online now.