Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

5 Vintage Mantles found in attic!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I ran across this story today on Yahoo, amazing to think these cards sat in a box in an attic for so many years!!! :eek:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davids...illion-show-importance-of-gradi/#6772c63067a2
Wow, and not just that but the fact that he had 5 Mantles along with everything else...

There was another Forbes article not long ago talking about the PSA 9 Mantle that sold and the fact that there are 3 PSA 10s out there and if any of them were to ever go to auction they think that they would realize at least $10 million dollars or more.

This brought to remembrance my attendance at the 2001 National Convention in Cleveland. J.P (Jaypers) flew in that year, stayed at my house and we attended, if I remember correctly, all 5 days. --J.P. correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyhow at that show I saw one of the PSA 10 Mantle's at a booth sitting in the middle of a showcase being separated from the other cards in that case. So I asked the lady who was watching the booth: "So just out of curiosity how much are you asking for that card?"

She said $150,000.

Obviously my thoughts were WOW that's a lot of money but I really wasn't surprised as it was a PSA 10!

I had just submitted my first cards ever to be graded to PSA and I was fortunate enough to have a 1989 UD Ken Griffey jr. come back a PSA 10 which I was pretty excited about.
So I jokingly told the lady "Well I guess my PSA 10 Griffey kind of pales in comparison to that card" She just smiled and then I told her to have a good show and walked away.

Looking back with hindsight being 20-20 obviously, had I had any idea or crystal ball to look into the future, I would have sold my house! I would have sold my body! I would have sold anything and everything I could to try to get my hands on that card!!!

But alas no one would have known and no one could have guessed what the future held for that card or the other two out there, but it was pretty neat that I actually got to see one of the three. And that card was SWEET!! Man you talk about nice, this thing was dead center with snow white borders and corners that could have cut into wood.

Ahhh, the memories...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
Wow, and not just that but the fact that he had 5 Mantles along with everything else...

There was another Forbes article not long ago talking about the PSA 9 Mantle that sold and the fact that there are 3 PSA 10s out there and if any of them were to ever go to auction they think that they would realize at least $10 million dollars or more.

This brought to remembrance my attendance at the 2001 National Convention in Cleveland. J.P (Jaypers) flew in that year, stayed at my house and we attended, if I remember correctly, all 5 days. --J.P. correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyhow at that show I saw one of the PSA 10 Mantle's at a booth sitting in the middle of a showcase being separated from the other cards in that case. So I asked the lady who was watching the booth: "So just out of curiosity how much are you asking for that card?"

She said $150,000.

Obviously my thoughts were WOW that's a lot of money but I really wasn't surprised as it was a PSA 10!

I had just submitted my first cards ever to be graded to PSA and I was fortunate enough to have a 1989 UD Ken Griffey jr. come back a PSA 10 which I was pretty excited about.
So I jokingly told the lady "Well I guess my PSA 10 Griffey kind of pales in comparison to that card" She just smiled and then I told her to have a good show and walked away.

Looking back with hindsight being 20-20 obviously, had I had any idea or crystal ball to look into the future, I would have sold my house! I would have sold my body! I would have sold anything and everything I could to try to get my hands on that card!!!

But alas no one would have known and no one could have guessed what the future held for that card or the other two out there, but it was pretty neat that I actually got to see one of the three. And that card was SWEET!! Man you talk about nice, this thing was dead center with snow white borders and corners that could have cut into wood.

Ahhh, the memories...

Wow, that is awesome! Sadly my dad, like a lot of guys from that era did, threw away his card collection long before I was born. I know he never had this card (would've been 3 in '52) but he's told me many times about his Mantles, Maris, Yogi Berra cards. Oh to have a time machine right?

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina

She said $150,000.

Ahhh, the memories...

Wow, that is awesome! Sadly my dad, like a lot of guys from that era did, threw away his card collection long before I was born. I know he never had this card (would've been 3 in '52) but he's told me many times about his Mantles, Maris, Yogi Berra cards. Oh to have a time machine right?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

If it makes you feel better my Dad knew he had at least 2 of them but he always traded his Yankees away to get A's cards...

Great find! This guy always traded FOR Yankees from Sox fans.

And he's got some other amazing stuff in that PC too!

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
If it makes you feel better my Dad knew he had at least 2 of them but he always traded his Yankees away to get A's cards...

Great find! This guy always traded FOR Yankees from Sox fans.

And he's got some other amazing stuff in that PC too!

Ouch on the Mantles!

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Awesome story.....my favorite was the one by Mr. Mint......were the guy reaches for a bowl on top of the freezer.....and there many Mantles in the bowl. Best regards, David

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My dad thinks his mom threw away all of his cards or gave them away when he went to college. I always hoped he would find them, but he never has. I do have his scrapbook chronicling the legendary 1961 Yankees season though.

He was only 4 in 1952, so he never had the '52 Mantle. He collected from 1957 to 1962, so it would have been cool to have those cards.

His favorite as a kid was the colorful 1958 Topps set, so about ten years ago I started building it from scratch.
A few years ago when I had most of the set, I showed him the binder and he was so happy reminiscing about his favorite players, especially his beloved Yankees. I'm still a few cards away from completing it, so I need to get on it. I have all of the major cards like Mantle, Mays, Maris RC, Koufax, Aaron, Williams, etc. I just need a few lesser stars and I'm finished.