Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RED SOX SIGN DAVID PRICE - 7 YEARS/$217M

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I'm a Sox fan so getting David Price seems like a much needed move. Obviously some points you guys have made are valid ones like years and money being too much. I agree, but it's what they had to do in order to get a #1 starter. Is he going to be this good in 3 or 4 years? Most likely not. I just hope they make it to the post season in 16 and he learns how to pitch past September. His ERA is 1.95 Fenway. That right there is a huge deal!
Agreed, Andy. I also love his Fenway numbers.....the big thing for me was that he was a FA signing so we still get to keep our top prospects and core in place.

I read that last season Price was getting the most swing and misses then any other year of his career (12% iirc) and he was relying on his fastball less than ever. That tells me that Price might age gracefully and he can still be a great pitcher a handful of years down the road. That makes me less worried about the back end of the deal.

All in all he is one of the best pitchers in baseball but just keep the following in mind:

Verlander, Lee, Halladay, Sabathia, Weaver, Johan were the top WAR pitchers in 2011. How'd they age?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Kind of an odd comparison since most of those players were over the age of 30 in 2011. Nonetheless I'll bite...

Weaver is not a good comparison considering he is a wiry pitcher with a super max effort delivery so his body essentially broke down....the opposite is true for Sabathia in the sense that his weight was his downfall. Santanas career ended quite abruptly because of his shoulder. Verlander I'm not too sure on, he essentially forgot how to pitch last year (maybe injuries?) but last season he rebounded nicely (& quietly).

That leaves me with Lee and Halladay. Now, I could care less how ANY of these pitchers pitched after 2011. What I do care about is how they pitched from age 30 onwards. Both Lee and Halladay are good comparisons because the threw a lot of innings prior to age 30 and both were known for being durable and having low effort deliveries. Here are their stat lines from age 30 on:

Cliff Lee (6 years): 67-52 3.01 ERA 1.10 WHIP 1191 IP 6.31 K/BB 31.4 WAR (3x AS/1 top 3 CY)

Roy Halladay (7 years): 108-57 3.17 ERA 1.12 WHIP 1413 IP 4.54 K/BB 33.7 WAR (4x AS/3 top 3 CY)

I could definitely see the next several years looking like one of the above for Price....if it does, well then I would say it was money well spent....even more so if we win a World Series or two in the process.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts