Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How's this idea for 2013 Bowman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I posted this in the Blue wave thread and decided to post it in its own thread for comments
I think this would be a awesome idea...

This is my suggestion.... Get rid of "Bowman Chrome only" boxes (since they are expensive) and make 2 series of Bowman.... Bowman Series 1 includes 1-110 paper & chrome prospects and 1-110 paper and chrome Vets/Rookies with inserts, and Bowman Series 2 includes 111-220 paper & chrome prospects and 111-220 paper and chrome Vets/Rookies with inserts.

And you can have Jumbos available for both series....

I know some people don't like the paper series, BUT it seems to work very well...

Look at boxes of 2012 Bowman compared to 2012 Bowman chrome boxes.
As of today, Blowout is selling Bowman boxes at $69 while selling Bowman Chrome Boxes at $62 a week after release!

Like BCAddict says, He didn't bust any cases of Bowman chrome because its been a loser product since 2007

what do you think guys?

Last edited:

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Just because case breakers can't make money on a product doesn't mean that people don't want the cards that come from it.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
What makes it a loser product is the veteran cards. Adding veteran chrome cards to the mix downgrades both products.
I guess they can do that but then all cards in the product would be all inserts, since prospect cards are inserts.
Not sure its allowed to have products w/out base cards with licensed products (MLB rules?)

Last edited:

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I posted this in the Blue wave thread and decided to post it in its own thread for comments
I think this would be a awesome idea...

This is my suggestion.... Get rid of "Bowman Chrome only" boxes (since they are expensive) and make 2 series of Bowman.... Bowman Series 1 includes 1-110 paper & chrome prospects and 1-110 paper and chrome Vets/Rookies with inserts, and Bowman Series 2 includes 111-220 paper & chrome prospects and 111-220 paper and chrome Vets/Rookies with inserts.

And you can have Jumbos available for both series....

I know some people don't like the paper series, BUT it seems to work very well...

Look at boxes of 2012 Bowman compared to 2012 Bowman chrome boxes.
As of today, 10/23 Blowout is selling Bowman boxes at $69 while selling Bowman Chrome Boxes at $62 a week after release!

Like BCAddict says, He didn't bust any cases of Bowman chrome because its been a loser product since 2007

As of today 11-11-12

2012 Bowman hobby box listed for $68.00
2012 Bowman Chrome box listed for $49.95 (less than cost right now)

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I guess they can do that but then all cards in the product would be all inserts, since prospect cards are inserts.
Not sure its allowed to have products w/out base cards with licensed products (MLB rules?)

Replace vets with MLB rookies as base cards. It's allowed.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
What makes it a loser product is the veteran cards. Adding veteran chrome cards to the mix downgrades both products.

Replace vets with MLB rookies as base cards. It's allowed.
Yeah I guess taking out all the Vets and adding 170 more rookies would help. But until there is more value in chrome, it won't be better than regular bowman,

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Yeah I guess taking out all the Vets and adding 170 more rookies would help. But until there is more value in chrome, it won't be better than regular bowman,

For the price Chrome should have 2-3 autographs. They don't pay these kids much to sign anyway so why not? Topps Chrome has two for roughly the same price. Of you want change and value added to Chrome then stop buying it.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
For the price Chrome should have 2-3 autographs. They don't pay these kids much to sign anyway so why not? Topps Chrome has two for roughly the same price. If you want change and value added to Chrome then stop buying it.
That is the point we were making, BCA, & B&B do not open 30+ cases of this product...

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here. This is a great idea. BC is now a floundering standalone product. The cards are still wanted, but the product doesn't work. I see no reason that Topps couldn't come up with a functional formula whereby the vets and prospects both have chrome and bowman cards in the same set. Obviously bowman has chrome prospect cards included, why not include chrome vets as well and go series 1 series 2? This would work, but the packs would need to contain more cards, the chrome vets would have to be additional in the pack, not offset chrome prospects.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here. This is a great idea. BC is now a floundering standalone product. The cards are still wanted, but the product doesn't work. I see no reason that Topps couldn't come up with a functional formula whereby the vets and prospects both have chrome and bowman cards in the same set. Obviously bowman has chrome prospect cards included, why not include chrome vets as well and go series 1 series 2? This would work, but the packs would need to contain more cards, the chrome vets would have to be additional in the pack, not offset chrome prospects.

It's not floundering. Topps sold out. They did great. Why change the product and mess with their bottom line? Not everyone likes prospects.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
It's not floundering. Topps sold out. They did great. Why change the product and mess with their bottom line? Not everyone likes prospects.

It doesn't mess with their bottom line. We're not talking about killing a product. We're talking about reworking BC into Bowman w/Chrome Series 2. Frankly I don't see any way this would do anything but better their bottom line. Some products are made to order and others are not. I'm not sure where BC lies. If it is made to order, then I guarantee that Brent and I not busting does affect how much is made. I'm certain we're not the only ones who stay away from BC.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA

On top of that, Topps does pay attention to the prices their product sells at after release. When BC sells for less than cost weeks after release, I guarantee that bothers Topps, as it certainly bothers their retailers.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida

Bob Loblaw

You wanna buy a case of 2012 Bowman Chrome for $700 right now?
Heck, does anyone want to buy a case of 2012 BC for $700
Its floundering on the secondary market.

It sells out way before the final checklist is out..
Wonder if they made the product first, then sent out order form with complete checklist and then sell it, and the product be the same as it is now, would the product still sell out?

edit: I wrote this as BCA was writing his..

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Topps Company ‏@toppscards
@BigBreakCards [MENTION=4588]brentandbecca[/MENTION] @toppscards Bowman team aware of this thread and reviewing, believe has merit but also risk, will evaluate

Step in the right direction.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
@BigBreakCards [MENTION=4588]brentandbecca[/MENTION] @toppscards Bowman team aware of this thread and reviewing, believe has merit but also risk, will evaluate

Very cool. I'm glad to see constructive criticism getting noticed by the manufacturer. Does anybody still see the need for Bowman Platinum and Sterling? IMO five Bowman products is easy to many. They end up competing with each other. I think three is plenty.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
@BigBreakCards @brentandbecca @toppscards Bowman team aware of this thread and reviewing, believe has merit but also risk, will evaluate

Now that they are reviewing, lets vet out some more ideas.

Personally I think they could take the same model as Bowman and just add a few cards to the packs for the chrome vet cards. I would imagine that if the base set needs to stay the same size at 220, then the simple thing to do is put in 4 chrome vet cards per pack in hobby.

I would love to see a chrome version of the veteran auto reprints that they did in Bowman in 2012. I've been saying this for years. 1989 Bowman Chrome Chipper Jones auto & Griffey Jr...maybe even Bagwell. 1990 Bowman Chrome Frank Thomas auto. 1992 Bowman Chrome Mike Piazza auto. This would be huge.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Fewer insert sets.

While it's probably too late to do anything about this for 2013 Bowman, perhaps they will consider doing so in the future, especially if they decide to create a second series.

As it stands, Bowman will include a total of nine such sets. The minis, ultimate prospect auto card and AFLAC/UA autos are boons, but the rest (Bowman Top 100, Blue Sapphire Program, Bowman Black Autographs, Dual Franchise, Futures Game relics, Hometown parallels) constitute too much filler, IMO.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts